How to fix a misbuilt third party Wii RGB cable

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
parski

Post by parski »

The other day I wrote a guide on how to rebuild a Wii RGB cable if it's showing the wrong colors on your monitor. I published it on Medium but the SEO seems to be pretty crappy so I thought that I'd link it here. If someone is trying to use a SCART cable to hook their Wii up to a CRT chances are they lurk racketboy once in a while. If it's third party cable chances are it's wired wrong. Here's the link to my guide:

https://medium.com/@strindevall/how-to-fix-a-misbuilt-third-party-wii-rgb-cable-fd649aecb75f

It's a fairly simple mod and it saved me a lot of time and a bit of money.

Cheers!
g5k

Post by g5k »

Nice, I've recently had a go at making my own VGA to SCART cable with sync circuit.

I purchased an eBay Wii SCART cable and my issue is the sound has a buzz or hum that cuts in and out. I think it's grounding does that outer shield have a connection to anything?

I've only fired up the Wii home screen and a Wii game and picture was a bit soft. About to also set up homebrew and retroarch so I can get the emulators up and running and some 240p stuff. I presume that's how you are getting your 240p to the screen via that? Wii itself seems to only have 480i or 576i setting when SCART is in, unless my cable is completely not working.
parski

Re: How to fix a misbuilt third party Wii RGB cable

Post by parski »

Sorry for the late answer. I've been traveling these last few weeks.
g5k wrote:I think it's grounding does that outer shield have a connection to anything?

As far as I can see on my cable nothing connects to the SCART shielding (pin 21 in the specification).

g5k wrote:I presume that's how you are getting your 240p to the screen via that? Wii itself seems to only have 480i or 576i setting when SCART is in, unless my cable is completely not working.

Exactly. When you are in menus and stuff the signal will be a 480i signal. However when you set the output mode in the emulators to original or double strike it will be a 240p signal. You can also achieve this in Virtual Console games. Your mileage may vary depending on the emulator though so make sure to try different ones and tweak around in the settings for a bit.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

Wait are you saying its possible to switch red, blue, green. Cause I'm considering to try this out with bnc connectors to get rgb instead of component on a US tv, if nothing changes switch to pal and see if any thing changes. Might work. There is one way I can do this is to try wii region change hack, which is kinda tricky to get working. .
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
g5k

Post by g5k »

A component cable is missing the 4th line you will need for sync to get an RGB signal working
parski

Post by parski »

benderx wrote:Wait are you saying its possible to switch red, blue, green. Cause I'm considering to try this out with bnc connectors to get rgb instead of component on a US tv, if nothing changes switch to pal and see if any thing changes. Might work. There is one way I can do this is to try wii region change hack, which is kinda tricky to get working. .

It's certainly possible with the RGB cable but I'm not sure if the YPbPr cables are built the same way if that's what you're suggesting. I say go ahead and try it and document the results.

[EDIT]

g5k wrote:A component cable is missing the 4th line you will need for sync to get an RGB signal working

Whoops. I didn't see this post. You're right, the YPbPr color space has combined sync with luma. Sorry benderx.