Treasure 360 shooter on hold (again)

2D Shooters Invade
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Treasure 360 shooter on hold (again)

Post by Doctor Fugue »

I'm in a rush right now, but thought I would start this thread. According to a 1up interview, the president says the 360 shooter has a year of development behind it, but is now on hold due to various things, including market viability. Hopefully all the CAVE games will get them to realize it is okay to release shooters on a niche console (as it is in Japan)...and surely they know many westerners follow their games?

They stress it is not cancelled, but I'm getting a scary feeling they might wait and put it on another console...one with a larger user base...one that they are currently getting a lot of development time on with a certain rail-sequel.

I don't know, they seem to be following the "money" more now than in the past. Yes, I know it's a business.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Treasure 360 shooter on hold (again)

Post by racketboy »

Bigger audience? like how?
The Wii's bigger, but most of that audience wouldn't buy it.
I don't think you're gonna get any better than the 360 anytime in the next few years...

Anyway, I'd rather have them hold off until it's perfected.
Wish they would give us something to drool over though....
BigTinz
128-bit

Post by BigTinz »

I wish they would stick it on the ps3 so we could all easily play it.
Whatupdoc?
24-bit

Post by Whatupdoc? »

BigTinz wrote:I wish they would stick it on the ps3 so we could all easily play it.

What does that mean?
In contrast I personally wish they'd release a ps3 for under 200 dollars so we all could play it lol
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

Racketboy wrote:Bigger audience? like how?
The Wii's bigger, but most of that audience wouldn't buy it.

I only said the Wii has a larger user base, but that doesn't mean a larger potential audience for a particular genre. It's too difficult to tell either way, unless it gets released on both (yuck).

Shooters don't sell that many systems anyway, no matter how important they seem to us.

Perhaps they are waiting to see how S&P2 does...if it does well then they know they can do more.

And I certainly don't believe the Wii or WiiHD is the place to be. The 360 is much more suited for arcade titles since many of them are based on PC architecture anyway.
Last edited by Doctor Fugue on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

Whatupdoc? wrote:
BigTinz wrote:I wish they would stick it on the ps3 so we could all easily play it.

What does that mean?
In contrast I personally wish they'd release a ps3 for under 200 dollars so we all could play it lol

Maybe he means the PS3 is region-free, but anyway Treasure is generally pretty good about releasing things for western audiences.
RemyC
64-bit

Post by RemyC »

i hope the next generation of systems have a more "shared" game library. The 360, PS3 and WII are so dang different, each has a nice little nook cornered in terms of game style. Unless you buy each system your pretty limited in terms of genre.

Knowing that treasure would back up the 360 would definitely solidify my decision...they have the midas touch.
RackGaki
128-bit

Post by RackGaki »

The Nintendo Wii has a bigger install base. It has a better d-pad.

The PS3 forces devs to make everything region-free. It has a better d-pad.

An already expanding shoot 'em up library and a ridiculously user-friendly online makes the Xbox 360 a good choice as well. Including backwards compatibility, the NTSC/U Wii and PS3 have better libraries in this department, though. It's just current titles that has slipped towards the 360...
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
mrtie
16-bit

Post by mrtie »

Doctor Fugue wrote:The 360 is much more suited for arcade titles since many of them are based on PC architecture anyway.

360 has more in common with the Wii and ps3 then it does with PC based hardware such as Lindbergh or type X2, all 3 current gen system are based in differing degrees with IBM's power architecture, which is no longer used in consumer PC's, whilst both Taito's and Sega's offerings are built on basically off the shelf X86 based consumer PC hardware. Also I can't really recall a single shmup on either or those hardware platforms so conversion capability would be equally hard on any of the systems. That said I'm not entirely sure what your getting at anyway as Treasure's 360 project was never arcade based to begin with. The fact really remains is that unless we are talking Type X2 or Lindbergh games a Wii(given it's resolution and power limitations) would be more then capable.

Back on topic though, I'm saddened by the hold of the 360 project, but I also love rail shooters so S&P 2 has me excited about my Wii for the first time in over a year.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

Bah double post
Last edited by Doctor Fugue on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.