2D Shooters Invade
allyourbasearebelongtous
8-bit

Mech War games

by allyourbasearebelongtous Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:39 pm

I just played through Armored Core For Answer on xbox 360.
It was the first mech warfare game ive ever really played.
Anyway i LOVED it and im looking for more good ones to play,
any suggestions?
Ack

Re: Mech War games

by Ack Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:42 pm

Console only or PC, cause I'd definitely recommend MechWarrior. There was also a series called Heavy Gear that had a couple of PC releases, thought that was a little under ten years ago.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
allyourbasearebelongtous
8-bit

by allyourbasearebelongtous Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:49 pm

PC is fine unless it takes "crysis style" spec, i cant afford a mega gaming computer.
Ack

by Ack Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:55 pm

Nah, those titles all were released years ago. I don't know of too many recent mech games...

There's always Custom Robo and Front Mission, but that's a little different...
allyourbasearebelongtous
8-bit

by allyourbasearebelongtous Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:36 pm

care to explain?
im interested.
also i just ordered Mech Assualt 2 for xbox off amazon for $2 bucks, i read its good, even if it isn't ya cant beat $2 ha.
know anything about that one?
Ack

by Ack Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:56 pm

Yeah, the Mech Assault titles are continuations on the MechWarrior/BattleTech universe. I don't know about the quality of them, but if you want mechs, that's the series to go with.

The Front Mission games are tactical RPGs where you control a group of mechs operating during war time. The story's a bit convoluted, as you need to play...all four of them to find out what's going on(and there's still loose ends that don't get tied up in the series), but as far as RPGs go, they let you blow the legs off guys with missile barrages, so that's cool, right? Good luck finding them, though. Only Front Mission 3, 4, and a remake of the first on the DS have made it to the US.

Custom Robo's a similar idea to a mech game, just crossed over with Angelic Layer. Basically you play a kid who plays tournaments where his custom robo gets to fight. You also have to build said robo in between battles with various weapons and equipment so you can better win these competitions. The first two titles never saw release either stateside or in Europe, both on the N64, but the Gamecube title and the recent DS title saw release in the states. They're a bit more cartoony than most mech games, so if you want the nihilistic future war settings that typically come with mech games, I'd avoid it. They do make for fun titles though, even if you can't read Japanese.
allyourbasearebelongtous
8-bit

by allyourbasearebelongtous Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:20 am

the front missions sound like something i would enjoy... and lucky for me i have an R4DS :]
and yes missile barrages..... AWESOME.

and the customs robots sounds like something ill check out too, ds again is helpful.
and if the gamecube one isnt too pricy i may pick that up too. I do like the depressing future in the mech series but cartoony works for me too, its more the massive guns and overall gameplay that has me hooked.
thanks for the help i definatly learned about some titles that interest me.

its like christmas man, finding a whole genre of games ive been missing out on.
Funk, E
128-bit

by Funk, E Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:34 am

The Zone of the Enders games for PS2--ESPECIALLY THE FANTASTIC SECOND ONE-- are very decent mech-action games as well.

My personal favorite mech game, though, is the classic Mechwarrior 2 for PC. It doesn't really get much better than that as far as mech sims go.
bobbynewmarkiii
128-bit

by bobbynewmarkiii Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:57 am

I've not played wartech senko no ronde yet, but iot looks like a bit of a mech fest for the 360, apparently mixes shmup and 2d fighter mechanics - what's not to love?!?

Oh yeah, and it's made by G.Rev :)
corn619
Next-Gen

by corn619 Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:09 pm

I second the awesomess of Zone of the Enders II. I have to recommend Cybernator for the SNES. The fan translated version of Cybernator called Assault Suits Valken japanese version is better. Also Phantom Crash for Xbox is really good as well.
Return to Shmups