2D Shooters Invade
gennss
128-bit

donpachi

by gennss Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:53 am

Ok, i got my copy of donpachi this weekend and played it pretty thoroughly. I played for high score 1cc mode, i coin fed it to see the ending, and i played multi-player.

I mean the second time around with the revenge bullets is pretty interesting but i really don't get the big deal about this game. Seems rather standard to me, did i miss something? Its an ok game, but it doesn't feel like it has anything that makes it "great!"

(games i consider great, ikaruga, triggerheart, mars matrix)
--
Gennss
--
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Re: donpachi

by ott0bot Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:04 am

I can understad that. I have always liked DoDonpahci much more. The first one is good, but isn't as fun or challenging. I kinda felt the same way when i first played it. Like...what's so great about this? I think it's Cave start to a slew of amazing games and they were still getting there footing at the time.

Also, you gotta be fair and compair it to other shmups of the same era. It came out early in the Saturns life, when people were still trying to figure out how to program on that difficult machine. As you get later into the lifespan of the system you get more devoleped games. DoDonpahci is much more enjoyable as a whole thanks to this.
You are comparing it to DC games that in some cases, especially Trigger Heart, came out after the devoplers really got a feel for it. Plus it's bassically an arcade board with less RAM....practically built to have shmups and fighters run perfect on it.

Anyway....i still think it's a good game and that's why it's always 10-20 bucks less than DoDonpahci.
gennss
128-bit

by gennss Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:27 am

I mean don't get me wrong, gameplay was spot on and all, but it just felt... generic. maybe its the theme they used the whole standard military thing...
--
Gennss
--
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:00 pm

As ott0bot said, you have to compare it to shooters at the time.

DonPachi set the standard for literally EVERY Cave game that followed. DonPachi took some ideas from Batsugun (for obvious reasons) and set the absolute standard for manic shooters. It defined them! It nearly created a whole genre!

Far from being generic, the three most important innovations were the "hold laser - move slow" mechanic, the complex rank system, and timed chaining!! Those three things put together makes it one of the most important shooters of all time.

Now, with the passage of time, other games have been made that are more fun and more refined.

But have respect for DonPachi! Do not call it generic! All the games that came AFTER it are generic copycats!
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
gennss
128-bit

by gennss Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:04 pm

I don't like the first five levels it gets good after it goes around and starts doing that crazy bullet suicide thing.

The announcer isn't obnoxious first time i've seen something like that implemented in a way where it didn't grind on my nerves.

Its got its positives but i did find it a little pricey for what i got.

I'd give it a B. lol (cave fans are holding pitchforks at this point i'm sure).
--
Gennss
--
ott0bot
Next-Gen

by ott0bot Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:11 pm

gennss wrote:I don't like the first five levels it gets good after it goes around and starts doing that crazy bullet suicide thing.

The announcer isn't obnoxious first time i've seen something like that implemented in a way where it didn't grind on my nerves.

Its got its positives but i did find it a little pricey for what i got.

I'd give it a B. lol (cave fans are holding pitchforks at this point i'm sure).

*puts pitchfork down*
No...I agree for the most part! I'd say a B+ though. And DoDonpachi gets an A+ in my book. Soukyugurentai is another must own IMO. Check that out if this didn't discourage you too much.
gennss
128-bit

by gennss Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:25 pm

oh btw, that pause when changing ships is a feature. especially if you're playing 2 players and the other guy just pissed you off lol.

i think i may try dodonpachi
--
Gennss
--
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:27 pm

It only took you a couple of days to make it to the second loop? :shock: You have skills! Definitely try out DoDonPachi and DoDonPachi DaiOuJou if you want more action.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
marurun

by marurun Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:23 pm

I definitely recommend Soukyugurentai. I like it better than either of the *pachi games. It's graphically and musically impressive and pretty darn hard, too.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
gennss
128-bit

by gennss Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:02 am

Doctor Fugue wrote:It only took you a couple of days to make it to the second loop? :shock: You have skills! Definitely try out DoDonPachi and DoDonPachi DaiOuJou if you want more action.

*cough* continue *cough* I wanted to see the ending, i tend to do that with shmups.
--
Gennss
--
Return to Shmups