2D Shooters Invade
nateup2
128-bit

Any other rotators?

by nateup2 Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:47 pm

I am getting my feet wet with some SMUPS. I started out with Zero Gunner 2 and have been getting into some others, too. I was somewhat surprised to find that my girl loves ZG2 and has actually become the ranking officer for our squad. She is having a hard time becomming too interested in any other SMUPS because none of them we have discovered allow rotation of the ship.

Are there any other modern SMUPS like ZG2, that allow full rotation?

thanks
didamangi

by didamangi Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:37 am

I think Under Defeat has it. (It's for the Dreamcast too, so there you go :D)
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:42 am

didamangi wrote:I think Under Defeat has it. (It's for the Dreamcast too, so there you go :D)

No, sorry it doesn't (it isn't full rotation). But give it a try anyway, it's great!
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:08 am

Do Asteroid clones like Super Stardust count? What about Desert Strike and similar (Seek and Destroy)? Jetstrike, for the Amiga is a side scrolling mission based shooter that has 360 degree rotation (up rotates anti-clockwise, down clockwise - it takes a bit getting used to it).

Ivo.
HeavyMetalMe
128-bit

by HeavyMetalMe Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:24 am

There in Cannon Strike, if my memory hasn't deceived me... I didn't dig it, but it may be worth a try as well.
High-Brow Gag & Pure Shooting
nateup2
128-bit

by nateup2 Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:39 am

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I definitely have plans to check out most of what was mentioned, regardless of rotation... but it seems there isn't much out there that does.

Zero Gunner 1 wasn't ported to anything outside of Arcade was it?
ott0bot
Next-Gen

by ott0bot Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:42 am

What about Guardian Force for the Saturn? It's a ground based tank shmup with a rotating gun...but not really the tank. Pretty cool though, and less expensive then some of the other imports. Here's a link http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~bevhome/gforcerev.htm

Thunder Force 2 has free roaming over head levels and then awesome hori levels in between. Personally I don't find the overhead levels very fun, though.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:46 am

HeavyMetalMe wrote:There in Cannon Strike, if my memory hasn't deceived me... I didn't dig it, but it may be worth a try as well.

Do you mean Cannon Spike? Or Gun Spike as it is known in Japan? Definitely worth a try.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:54 am

nateup2 wrote:Zero Gunner 1 wasn't ported to anything outside of Arcade was it?

Just arcade, as far as I know. The second game is vastly superior and makes the first pretty much a waste of time.

ott0bot wrote:Thunder Force 2 has free roaming over head levels and then awesome hori levels in between. Personally I don't find the overhead levels very fun, though.

Agreed. Those overhead levels frustrate me.

A couple of other somewhat obscure games you might look at:

Armada (for Dreamcast)...it is a non-forced scrolling, 360 degree shooting game, with RPG levelling up and some sort of story in space. I don't like it, but others do.

Sub-Terrania (for Genesis)...2D maze arena shooter with 360 degree shooting and gravity-affected flying. Difficult, great little game.
ott0bot
Next-Gen

by ott0bot Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:35 am

Doctor Fugue wrote:
nateup2 wrote:Zero Gunner 1 wasn't ported to anything outside of Arcade was it?

Just arcade, as far as I know. The second game is vastly superior and makes the first pretty much a waste of time.

ott0bot wrote:Thunder Force 2 has free roaming over head levels and then awesome hori levels in between. Personally I don't find the overhead levels very fun, though.

Agreed. Those overhead levels frustrate me.

A couple of other somewhat obscure games you might look at:

Armada (for Dreamcast)...it is a non-forced scrolling, 360 degree shooting game, with RPG levelling up and some sort of story in space. I don't like it, but others do.

Sub-Terrania (for Genesis)...2D maze arena shooter with 360 degree shooting and gravity-affected flying. Difficult, great little game.

If there is one game I'd never recomend to anyone ever, it'd be Sub-Terrania. I love shooters, and brutal ones are fine, but I can't stand this game. I'm glad you like it though. :wink:
Return to Shmups