2D Shooters Invade
LoneCynic
32-bit

Re: Favorite Shooters

by LoneCynic Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:10 pm

That link was extremely helpful in explaining the differences. I appreciate it greatly. This definately sounds like an entry I want to add to my collection ASAP. Raiden II is my favorite in the series, so Raiden DX sounds like it could possibly be the one to take that crown if I am able to obtain it. Thanks again.
black flag nc

by black flag nc Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:22 pm

I dig the Raiden series too. Some folks bash on it, but I grew up with Raiden.

I went to a flea market here in VA and there was a Raiden cab in the little food court. I went to get some quarters!!
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:07 pm

Raiden is great. I haven't played nearly enough of it lately. I played a lot of Raiden Trad on my Jaguar back in the day.

I guess I prefer the Raiden Fighters games, especially Jet. I can't remember why I like that series better...I can't even remember what Raiden III is like.

I just remembered that Raiden Fighters Aces has all three games! But I also heard there are some issues with it crashing? I suppose that has been fixed.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
ZenLogikos
128-bit

by ZenLogikos Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:02 am

The "World of Stuart" link that nebuchadnezzar gave you is what prompted me to hunt down DX a while ago. You will not be disappointed. Best in the series. 1 and 2 (or Project) aren't worth owning imo after you have DX. III is good. Can't wait to get Aces and IV.

The Fighters series is cool because it features plenty of unique, colorful ships and weaponry. I realize the main Raiden series and Fighters are both arcade titles, but the Fighters series has always seemed more "arcadey" to me, if that's vague enough for you... :wink:
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:57 am

I've got a bid on a copy on Ebay, hopefully I'll be able to snag DX. It sounds like it could become my favorite based on what I read. Plus, I have my Japanese Xbox 360 coming soon and a copy of Raiden Fighters Aces. I can't wait. Plus, I also snagged a copy of Tetris: The Grandmaster Ace off ebay for the Japanese 360, so that should be coming soon too. I got my cousin into Raiden, and we always play it when we get together. Raiden II was his favorite as well. I really hope I can get my hands on DX so he and I can cruise through it together.
mrtie
16-bit

by mrtie Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:16 am

Dodonpachi
Mushimesama
Ikaruga
Strikers 1945+
Guwange
mars matrix
Tempest
DDP: DOJ
Thunderforce III
Axelay
14xx
Sapphire
R-type
The list goes on...and on, however desert Island scenario and all I ever get are 3 I'd say Mushihimesama, Ikaruga, and Guwange.
gennss
128-bit

by gennss Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:58 am

Mars matrix is fun with a friend.. (2 player its nuts)

Triggerheart and Ikaruga are my faves.

Shikigami no shiro 2 and psyvariar 2 are a lot of fun.
--
Gennss
--
elvis
128-bit

by elvis Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:31 am

Just a short list of some of my favourites from my favouritist genre ever:

Toaplan:
Batsugun
Dogyuun
Fire Shark
Outzone
Truxton
Truxton 2

Cave:
DonPachi
DoDonPachi
Guwange
ESP RaDe
ESP Galuda
ESP Galuda 2
Mushihime Sama
Mushihime Sama Futari
Ibara
Ibara Pink Sweets

Takumi/Capcom:
GigaWing
GigaWing 2
Mars Matrix

Psikyo:
Gunbird
Gunbird 2
Dragon Blaze
Samurai Aces (aka Sengoku Aces)
Strikers 1945
Strikers 1945 II
Strikers 1945 III

Seibu Kaihatsu:
Raiden
Raiden II
Raiden DX
Raiden Fighters
Raiden Fighters 2
Raiden Fighters Jet
Viper Phase

Treasure:
Radian Silvergun
Ikaruga

Taito:
Ray Force (aka Layer Selection aka Gunluck)
Ray Storm
Ray Crisis
Darius
Darius 2
Darius Gaiden
G-Darius

Konami:
Gradius 1 through 5
All the Parodius games
Juno First

Compile:
Aleste
Space Megaforce
Zanac
Zanac X Zanac
Blazing Lasers

Naxat Soft:
Summer Carnival '92 - Recca

Warashi:
Shienryu
Trigger Heart Exelica

G.rev:
Border Down
Under Defeat

Success:
Psyvariar I and II

Alpha System:
Shikigami no Shiro (aka "The Castle of the Gods" or "Castle Shikigami") I, II and III

Milestone:
Chaos Field
Radilgy (aka Radirgy)
Karous
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:36 am

I think it would be shorter to list the games you don't like. You can't possibly like those all equally, even considering changing tastes and moods.

And you call it a "short" list! :lol:

It is easy to love these games for people like us, but tell us which ones you could not possibly live without.

Not to mention the fact that it takes months of dedication to even begin to know one game. :D
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
elvis
128-bit

by elvis Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:16 am

Doctor Fugue wrote:You can't possibly like those all equally, even considering changing tastes and moods.

It's true I don't like them equally, but choosing a favourite is like asking a parent to choose their favourite child. They all have their pros and cons, and I love them all. If I had to choose one to the exclusion of all others, I'd only regret the choice.

Doctor Fugue wrote:Not to mention the fact that it takes months of dedication to even begin to know one game. :D

Shmups have been my favourite genre since I played my very first one (Vortex Blaster on Sega SC-3000H in 1984). I've played them at best daily, at worst weekly since that day, and they still rank as my most frequently played genre today. I have 24 years worth of "months of dedication". :)
Return to Shmups