2D Shooters Invade
LoneCynic
32-bit

Darius Series Question

by LoneCynic Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:27 pm

I am getting into collecting shooters pretty heavily as of late. As an amateur collector, I've gleamed quite a bit of information from this site about the most popular shooter series' out there. I am not clear on the Darius series and what games are what. I own Darius Gaiden, and wondered what other games are in this series? I've seen talk of G-Darius and heard of a game called Darius Twin. Is G-Darius different from Darius Gaiden? Any info that a more experienced collector could provide would be most appreciated. Especially so I don't buy duplicates of shooters I already own. (For example, I read about an SNES shooter called Raiden Trad, but further investigation revealed it be a dumbed down port of Raiden 1, which I already have on the Raiden Project disc for PS1. So I obviously do not need to pursue that one.)
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:29 am

If you have the time, read this:

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ ... darius.htm

It has everything you want to know in two huge pages with tons of great photos. Really great.

Edit: I just noticed some links at the bottom of the second page that provide even more information.

If you just want a quick answer about G-Darius and Darius Gaiden...yes, they are completely different, feel free to buy them both as they are the best out of the series.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
blue_veilvet
24-bit

by blue_veilvet Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:12 am

Hi,

I recently also got into shooters and do not have much information so far. But if you look out for the Darius series, maybe it would be a noteworthy info that the series is also known as Sagaia on some Sega systems. But I am not sure if they are duplicates of any other Darius games, though.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:24 am

blue_veilvet wrote:Hi,

I recently also got into shooters and do not have much information so far. But if you look out for the Darius series, maybe it would be a noteworthy info that the series is also known as Sagaia on some Sega systems. But I am not sure if they are duplicates of any other Darius games, though.

Unfortunately, this is true. Darius 2 was called Sagaia outside of Japan on Genesis, Master System and Gameboy. And the game called Super Nova was also a Darius game; it was called Darius Force in Japan. This is the second one to be on the Super Nintendo, after Darius Twin.

Confused yet? I am. To make matters worse, several of the early games look and play like each other; some are sort of remakes of the original that came out AFTER the sequel. :twisted:
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
baphomet_irl
128-bit

by baphomet_irl Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:29 pm

man Id love one of those 3 screen Darius arcade machines :p
ott0bot
Next-Gen

by ott0bot Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:50 pm

G Darius is definately worth checking out. Waaay different than Darius Gaiden. It's all polygon-ed out and it's got a weapon steal system like Gaiares. Fun game.

Super Nova and Darius Twin are good. But Super Nova is really difficult. Allthough the boss battles offer some pay-off and it's got some cool wepons.
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Thanks for the intel everyone, and thanks Dr. Fugue for the link bro, much appreciated.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:05 am

From reading the HG101 stuff it seems like Darius is mostly forgettable other than the 3 screens gimmick, with Darius Gaiden and the other spin-off title being the exception and being better games.

Is that the general consensus, or was the guy just not fond of Darius?

Ivo.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:06 am

I believe it is the general consensus, well that's what I think anyway. I'd say he is a little harsh on the earlier games, but they are a little bland. They're not THAT different, I mean, they all feel like Darius (branching paths, short levels, big fishy bosses).

He is definitely right about the powering up being extremely brutal in the first game. In its defense, several early shooters were like that: "if you die...you will die again and again" being the rule. It's like losing the spread shot in Contra...just restart your game. It promotes perfect practice and it will eat your yen, but I'm glad that aspect of shooters was mainly taken out (and replaced with other tactics to reward no-miss play).

Without question G-Darius and Darius Gaiden are the best; mainly because they are just more exciting. The earlier ones feel a little empty in comparison...they don't have the level design of R-Type, and they don't have the speed of ThunderForce.
ott0bot
Next-Gen

by ott0bot Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:39 am

Out of all the older Darius games I thought Super Nova was the best. It's pretty solid actually and hard as nails. I like the weapon variety and the some of the levels have clever design. But yeah....Darius Gaiden and G Darius are my favorites thats for sure.
Return to Shmups