2D Shooters Invade
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:47 am

Yeah many of these shooters where you lose power by dying are almost as good as 1 life only in the mid to late game.

Ivo.
marurun

by marurun Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:25 pm

Darius's claim to fame, beyond the multi-screen thing, actually did have merit. The sea-life inspired bosses are all pretty cool, the Zuntata soundtrack is always crazy, and the level tree meant you had to replay many times to play all the levels.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Haoie
128-bit

by Haoie Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:52 am

G-Darius is excellent.

It's also supposed to be the first, chronologically.

Not that anyone plays them for storyline.
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
marurun

by marurun Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:04 pm

They do play them for the weird endings, though.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:02 am

I played Darius Gaiden on MAME and I'm trying to finish it also on the Saturn. It's a nice game. It's sort of like Sega Bass Fishing, but with guns :P (ok, it's not at all like Sega Bass Fishing, not that I played it but you know).

On MAME I was using save states and it was HARD. Is this one of those games that has rank? Because when I got to the last boss...
On Saturn I only have 2 credits but with a bit more practice I think I can finish it on Easy difficulty.
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:21 pm

Well, I broke out all my classic game compilations over the weekend with my cousin, and discovered that Taito Treasures Collection Volume 2 has both Darius Gaiden and G Darius on it. So I already had both games and did not know it. Played them both and they were interesting to say the least. I'm not into the horizontal shooters as much as I am into the vertical ones, but they were both interesting plays.
Return to Shmups