2D Shooters Invade
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:16 pm

No, got it off keepgaming.com. They had the discs and part kit together for one price. It Play Asia has them though, I'd just get them there. That's where I ordered all my games from. Espgaluda is pretty cool, tried that one earlier. Although I am still trying to figure out what all the controls do, and what is the difference between the two fire buttons. Don't like it as much as DoDonPachi, but it is definately a solid shooter. The hit box on it must be just a single pixel, because I flew all through bullet patterns and didn't get wasted on that game. Maybe Bootaaay will come along and explain what all the functions do in that game.
Bootaaay
128-bit

by Bootaaay Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:41 am

Ok, this is concerning arcade mode (I haven't spent much time at all with arange mode);

Firstly, you have two normal fire buttons;

X - fires the basic shot, weak but your speed isn't decreased
[ ] (tap) - fires a concentrated pulse of weak bullets, speed isn't decreased
[ ] (hold) - rapier shot, you movement speed is decreased but you emit a powerful concentrated beam

Then you have the Guard Barrier;

O (hold) - when pressed will form a barrier around the character, protecting you from bullets. When the button is released it will unleash a powerfull attack - the longer you hold the button down, the more powerfull the attack will be.

And finally Kakusei mode;

/ \ - press once to activate Kakusei mode, press again to de-activate

Kakusei mode is the key to scoring in ESPGaluda. Each enemy in the game deposits green gems when you defeat them and you can carry a maximum of 500 gems. These gems power the Kakusei mode. When Kakusei mode is activated all the enemies and bullets on screen will decrease in speed, also your gem count will start to decrease, and will decrease further with every enemy you kill - however, when enemies are defeated in Kakusei mode they deposit gold, and all the bullets on screen fired from that enemy turns to gold too. However, when your gem meter becomes fully depleted, the game will revert to normal speed - if you are in a web of bullets when this happens, it can be very difficult to dodge. So, to get the complete benefit of Kakusei mode you have to take a risk and get as many bullets on screen as possible, then destroying the enemies for their gold before your gem meter totally depletes. Take a look at the superplay DVD 2nd disk to get an idea of how Kakusei mode is used to it's fullest. Hope that helps :)
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:58 am

Thanks for the tips Bootaaay, that confirms some of my assumptions and explains completely what is going on in that game. It is a blast, but I stop after a few levels each time I play, because I don't like to credit feed, you know? I want to get through it and have the challenge maintained. I really like DoDonPachi a lot, it is no wonder why that game is so popular with shooter fans. Well worth the $60 I paid for a new copy. Is there a list of shooters for PS2 I could use as a reference when searching online for the best of the imports for the system?
Bootaaay
128-bit

by Bootaaay Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:15 pm

I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of PS2 shmups online, but I think this is all of them;

Cho Aniki: Sei Naru Protein Densetsu
Dodonpachi Dai-Oujou
Dragon Blaze
ESPGaluda
Gigawing generations
Gradius 3 and 4
Gradius V
Gunbird I&II
Homura
Hudson Selection Vol. 2: Star Soldier
Ibara
Mushihime-sama
Psyvariar Complete Edition
Psyvariar 2
Raiden III
R-Type Final
Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 3: Fantasy Zone
Shienryu Explosion
Shikigami no Shiro
Shikigami no Shiro II
Silpheed: The Lost Planet
Sol Divide
Strikers 1945 I&II
Taito Sengoku Ace/Blade collection
XII Stag

Also, you should be able to play PSX import swith swapmagic, here's a good list of PSX shooters available;

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/02/ ... ation.html

LoneCynic wrote:It is a blast, but I stop after a few levels each time I play, because I don't like to credit feed, you know? I want to get through it and have the challenge maintained.

Yeah, I totally agree - I usually just concentrate on one shooter at a time and play through on a single credit, trying to get as far as possible before putting the game aside for the day. Each day I get a little bit better :)
baphomet_irl
128-bit

by baphomet_irl Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:46 pm

Bootaaay wrote:I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of PS2 shmups online, but I think this is all of them;

Cho Aniki: Sei Naru Protein Densetsu
Dodonpachi Dai-Oujou
Dragon Blaze
ESPGaluda
Gigawing generations
Gradius 3 and 4
Gradius V
Gunbird I&II
Homura
Hudson Selection Vol. 2: Star Soldier
Ibara
Mushihime-sama
Psyvariar Complete Edition
Psyvariar 2
Raiden III
R-Type Final
Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 3: Fantasy Zone
Shienryu Explosion
Shikigami no Shiro
Shikigami no Shiro II
Silpheed: The Lost Planet
Sol Divide
Strikers 1945 I&II
Taito Sengoku Ace/Blade collection
XII Stag

YAY CHo Aniki!!! o_O

dont bother getting Psyvariar one - IMO it is pretty dull - Psyvariar 2 I love on the DC, but 1 not at all...
Shikigami No Shiro II is cool

I love Strikers 1945 I&II, but Ive heard bad things about the discount PAL version, hopefully the JAP version is seperate

R -Type Final is pretty cool (although i HATE the music) - very hard though...
LoneCynic
32-bit

Update with photos

by LoneCynic Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:01 pm

Okay, my collection has expanded some. Aquiring Philosoma and Raiden Project in a single auction for $56 was a dream come true. They came in the mail today, and both are in perfect mint condition. I was so happy! Here are some pictures I took of my SHMUP Collection. Although it doesn't even come close to touching yours, Bootaaay, I think you will agree I am off to a solid start. Any comments or questions are welcomed.

[Edit: I was unable to host the images through my normal channels, and linking to another forum did not work. Can anyone help with this?]
Last edited by LoneCynic on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Re: Update with photos

by ott0bot Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:02 pm

LoneCynic wrote:Okay, my collection has expanded some. Aquiring Philosoma and Raiden Project in a single auction for $56 was a dream come true. They came in the mail today, and both are in perfect mint condition. I was so happy! Here are some pictures I took of my SHMUP Collection. Although it doesn't even come close to touching yours, Bootaaay, I think you will agree I am off to a solid start. Any comments or questions are welcomed.

[/img]http://www.vc-forums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=109[img]

[/img]http://www.vc-forums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=110[img]

post it with the slash on the ending img tag and we can see!
Return to Shmups