2D Shooters Invade
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:57 am

I just went on a spending splurge today. After doing some research on playing Playstation 2 Imports, I found that they have a boot disc called Swap Magic 3.6. I also learned that this works with relative ease on the PS2 Slimline model. I ordered a Swap Magic Disc and Tool set, and then proceded to order five import titles for the PS2. Here's what I ordered, hopefully everything was in stock:

-Do Don Pachi Daioujou DV
-Espgaluda
-Nights into Dreams
-Sega Ages Volume 25: Gunstar Heroes: Treasure Box
-Sega Ages Volume 28: Tetris Collection

Bootaaay, I saw those two shooters from among your PS2 collection and figured they must be good. What other good PS2 SHMUPS should I look for? I decided the Playstation 2 would probably be the most cost effective route for expanding my SHUMPS collection right now, so that's what I am focusing on at the moment.

Now that I ordered the games and the boot disc, I guess I need to go buy a Slimline PS2!! :lol:
My launch console has disc read errors, and its own world of problems, so I'll just bite the bullet and buy a slimline one day this week while I wait for my import stuff to come. Which to get, the Black, Silver or White PS2...

Also, I saw a game for PS2 called Skygunner, is that a SHMUP? No websites seem to have screen shots of that one to find out. Amazon had it listed with other SHMUP titles, but I wasn't sure. Well, any insight, comments or suggestions are welcomed at this point.
Bootaaay
128-bit

by Bootaaay Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:06 pm

LoneCynic wrote:-Do Don Pachi Daioujou DV
-Espgaluda
-Sega Ages Volume 25: Gunstar Heroes: Treasure Box

Bootaaay, I saw those two shooters from among your PS2 collection and figured they must be good. What other good PS2 SHMUPS should I look for?

Good choices, DDP & ESPGaluda are two of Cave's best SHMUPS - as for other ps2 shmups, i'd reccomend Mushihime-sama, it's personally my favourite Cave shooter. Also, Ibara is pretty good, and Gradius V is meant to be good too, but I haven't played it.
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Bootaaay, I was surprised to find the two I did still available at an online import store. I checked for the other two in the picture of your collection, but they were sold out. Here's a side note kicker, when I first bought my PS2, I bought Silpheed and Gradius 3&4 collection for it. My friend stepped on the case to Gradius and ruined it, so I traded it in. At the time, that game was in bargin bins everywhere, and I just figured I'd grab another copy along the way. I never did, and it sells used for over $100 now. Silpheed, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be worth anything. Irony..

Espgaluda and Do Don Pachi looked to both be vertical shooters from the pictures I saw. I prefer vertical, so I'm quite excited to get these and try them. I've heard people talk about the Don Pachi games forever, and this will be my first game from that series. Is this one I ordered a PS2 port of one of the earlier games, or a new entry in the series altogether? Any info you have on that I'd love to hear about.
peace4myheart
128-bit

by peace4myheart Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:42 pm

If you like Psikyo shmups, I whol heartedly recommend dragon blaze. I think that is the best game from Psikyo on the PS2.
"You're just given the illusion that your decisions can actually make a difference when in the end all has been decided by the programmers." NebachadnezzaR
Bootaaay
128-bit

by Bootaaay Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:59 pm

LoneCynic wrote: I've heard people talk about the Don Pachi games forever, and this will be my first game from that series. Is this one I ordered a PS2 port of one of the earlier games, or a new entry in the series altogether? Any info you have on that I'd love to hear about.

Well the series started with the original DonPachi, Cave then developed the sequel DoDonPachi - both recieved ports to the Saturn & PSX. After that, International Game Systems developed DoDonPachi II but it was poorly recieved by fans and critics and never saw a home console port. A year later, Cave returned to the series to develop DoDonPachi DaiOuJou, which recieved a PS2 port and is considered by many to be the best in the series. Cave are now working on the 5th game in the series DoDonPachi Dai-Fukkatsu, which will be out in arcades later this year.
Mr. Stripe
24-bit

by Mr. Stripe Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:23 pm

LoneCynic wrote:Here's a side note kicker, when I first bought my PS2, I bought Silpheed and Gradius 3&4 collection for it. My friend stepped on the case to Gradius and ruined it, so I traded it in. At the time, that game was in bargin bins everywhere, and I just figured I'd grab another copy along the way. I never did, and it sells used for over $100 now.

huh? http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/sea ... mit=Search
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:29 pm

Mr. Stripe, I hadn't checked ebay man, I just half-heartedly checked amazon sellers for a copy the other day and everyone there had it listed around $90-$100. If it is still cheap on ebay, I'll just get another copy there then.

Any other PS2 Imports I should consider for the next time I am looking for some new games?
Mr. Stripe
24-bit

by Mr. Stripe Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:35 pm

I was just confused, and wondering if i was missing something. You should be able to find it for a decent price. It's no where near worth $100.
baphomet_irl
128-bit

by baphomet_irl Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:44 pm

LoneCynic wrote:I just went on a spending splurge today. After doing some research on playing Playstation 2 Imports, I found that they have a boot disc called Swap Magic 3.6. I also learned that this works with relative ease on the PS2 Slimline model.

please tell us if that swap disc boot disc works, there are TONNES of JAP PS2 releases I'd love to get :O
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:47 pm

Oh, I will be sure to come back to this topic to discuss the Swap Magic, and if it works well or not. I will also be back to discuss the shooters I purchased and what I think of them. I must say, this forum and community are fantastic. Fits my "niche" as a retro gamer comepletely. If this PS2 boot disc thing works well enough, I may focus my collecting habits squarely on Playstation 2 for a while. I never much liked the system, and always prioritized other systems ahead of it up until now. I think I am finally starting to like the PS2, after all this time. Having owned a PS2 since day one, it is kinda cool to really start to like it. I am going to try and nab a White Slimline console this week if I can still find one anywhere. Otherwise, I'll just pick up a black one. Either way, I've got some good gaming in store soon.
Return to Shmups