2D Shooters Invade
Bootaaay
128-bit

by Bootaaay Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:58 am

BigTinz wrote:I recommend to all shooter fans to BUY A DAMN ARCADE MACHINE.

Unless you've got alot of cash, it's not really worth it, especially if theres a competant console port available - Mushihime-sama for example - Mushihime-sama PS2; £40, Mushihime-sama PCB; £300. Yeah, i'd ideally like to play an arcade perfect version, but spending that much on just one game is a bit excessive imo.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:06 am

Bootaaay wrote:Theres a load of great DC shooters you should consider picking up (i'd personally reccomend Zero Gunner 2, Under Defeat and Border Down) and it would definetly be worthwhile getting a Saturn as theres a ton of shooters and it's super easy to play imports (i'd personally reccomend Soukyugurentai, Battle Garegga, Layer Section, Sengoku Ace, Radiant Silvergun and Thunderforce V).

Here's my collection if anyone interested - it's mostly Dreamcast & Saturn, but i'm planning on picking up a Megadrive + MegaCD soon - any good Megadrive/CD SHMUPS I should look into?

-Batsugun, Battle Garegga, Blast Wind, Border Down, Cotton 2, Cotton Boomerang, Darius Gaiden, Detana Twinbee Yahho!, Donpachi, DoDonpachi, Game Paradise, Gekirindan, Gigawing 2, Gokujou Parodius, Gradius Deluxe Pack, Hyper Dual, Ikaruga, Last Hope, Layer Section, Mars Matrix, Metal Black, Radiant Silvergun, Rainbow Cotton, Sengoku Ace, Sexy Parodius

Shikigami no Shiro II, Skull Fang, Sol Divide, Soukyugurentai, Strikers 1945, Strikers 1945 II, Thunderforce V, Thunderforce Gold Pack 1, Thunderforce Gold Pack 2, Zero Gunner 2

DoDonpachi: DaiOuJou, ESPGaluda, Ibara, Mushihime-sama, Triggerheart Exelica, Under Defeat

ImageImage
Karous, Chaos Field, Trizeal

You most certainly have a very nice shooter collection; probably better than mine. :lol: But now that you have so many great and rare shooters, it's time to invest in a good digital camera. :wink:
peace4myheart
128-bit

by peace4myheart Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:34 am

Bootaaay

Are all those Saturn games complete with spine card??? I am just curious because seeing them naked like that bothers me. I guess I am just a completist. Anyway, nice collection. Wish I own hyper duel.

D.D.D.

Thanx for the good laugh. LOL
"You're just given the illusion that your decisions can actually make a difference when in the end all has been decided by the programmers." NebachadnezzaR
Beat

by Beat Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:51 am

Maybe it's just me but I don't really care for most of the last few shmups released for the DC. Now they're all hard to find and pretty much overpriced.
It Must Be Jelly 'Cause Jam Don't Shake That Way
Bootaaay
128-bit

by Bootaaay Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:11 am

peace4myheart wrote:Bootaaay

Are all those Saturn games complete with spine card??? I am just curious because seeing them naked like that bothers me. I guess I am just a completist.

Yeah, most of them are complete with spine card, but I keep them safe inside the manual :wink:
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:37 am

Y'know, I've never seen the box for Karous. I've always seen it in English like that but on the box it says Karasu = crow in Japanese. Today's thing that made me go "huh". :roll:
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:11 pm

Okay guys, here's the facts of the situation. I am able to play Imports on both my PS1 and my Dreamcast. I also own a Saturn that is capable of playing imports, but I bought it long after I got my Dreamcast, and never could find any games for it anywhere. I know without a doubt the Saturn is certainly one of my best options for SHMUPS, but they are so difficult to find and so overpriced. I do still have a Genesis, but I assume tracking down carts for that bad boy to be a daunting task. Also, I seem to have a jinx that every MegaDrive Import I've ever bid on and won on ebay, the seller never sent and I had to file a complaint with Ebay. That system I won't even bother with because of that stigma I have with trying to purchase imports for it. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for VC updates there.

Raiden Project is one game I definately want, because I really enjoy Raiden III a lot, but because it and Philosoma were such early PS1 games, they came out before I even owned a Playstation (1997-present). If I could get my hand on a mint copy, I'd go for it, but all the auctions for Raiden Project always seem to be for a loose disc or something dumb like that.

Playstation 2 I'd love to be able to play Imports, but I never saw any methods available for it that didn't require serious system modifications to do. My PS2 is a launch console, bought one the first month they were out, and already has a hard time reding discs now. If anyone knows a method by which I could purchase a slimline PS2 and play imports without too much hassle, I'd love to hear about it.

Now, knowing this information about me and my situation, what suggestions do you have? I don't mind paying up to $65-$70 for a really rare and really good game, but I can't justify skyrocketed prices for SHMUPS that are only so-so, know what I mean?
ott0bot
Next-Gen

by ott0bot Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:17 pm

molotovwars wrote:Here is the massive Genesis list I mentioned:

http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page.php ... travaganza!

awesome list! thanks
Beat

by Beat Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:10 pm

You can get some great saturn shmups for less than $60. Exceptions of course include Radiant Silvergun. For domestic releases you can get Darius Gaiden and Galactic Attack. Two great shmups and they're usually dirt cheap. Cheaper imports include the Parodius games, Souky, and DonPachi. Probably the others all will cost you over $50. Some a lot more than that.
It Must Be Jelly 'Cause Jam Don't Shake That Way
baphomet_irl
128-bit

by baphomet_irl Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:46 pm

yeh a very good start there, in relation to the VC though, I think you should get the various R-Types that are available and Gradius's (Gradii? :p ) - also Gley Control which I think is very enjoyable (then again I love ANYTHING with really OTT parallax scrolling :D ), also Fantasy Zone is available on the VC...

also for authentic feeling fun on your Wii, I would recommend one of these:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-113 ... -2k7a.html

I got one and I think its a very reasonable price, as a side bonus, it obviously makes all the SNK fighters on VC more fun :)
Return to Shmups