2D Shooters Invade
ott0bot
Next-Gen

by ott0bot Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:33 am

I think you have a great collection going! I'll second a couple titles already suggested and add few more.

Saturn:
DoDonpachi (JP)
Soukyugurentai (JP)
Gallactic Attack
Daruis Gaiden
there are so many more but these are my favorites

DC:
GigaWing 1 & 2

Genesis:
MUSHA
Thunder Force III
Lightening Force
Steel Empire
Truxton

Sega CD:
Robo Aleste
Android Assault
Silpheed
Lords of Thunder (also has a great version for Turbo Duo)

SNES:
UN Squadron
Super R-Type
R-Type III (awesome game!)
Space Megaforce

PS1:
R-Type Delta
Raiden Project
G Darius

PS2:
R-Type Final
Gradius V

Burnsro wrote:
Doctor Fugue wrote:That being said, the PS2 game was partly developed by Treasure, so it should be at least partly awesome.

No. It's a horrible and boring game.

I tend to agree. I'm a huge shmup and Treasure fan...but after the first time through I never wanted to play it again. The wepons system is bland, the bullets are really hard to avoid and it just feels like it's missing something. Fun, i think.
opticledilusi0n
32-bit

by opticledilusi0n Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:00 pm

galaxy wars on wii is a must have shooter ...
RackGaki
128-bit

by RackGaki Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:05 pm

D.D.D. wrote:Y'know, for as much as it costs, knowing how good it is to me, I still would get Radiant Silvergun for SS today. I absolutely love it.

That and any Aleste (made by Compile) shooters. Especially if you liked Blazing Lazers and the ~~ Soldier games, Super Aleste/Space Megaforce is awesome too (SNES).

Also, I'd get a disc of Ikaruga, either DC or GC, because I've heard that the XBLA version isn't as good (these people state that timing is off but I haven't played to see the diff).

The people who don't like the XBLA version are hardcore high score whores. Their complaints only reflect the fact that minor gameplay changes took place in the XBLA port of Ikaruga (most notably in the level 3 midboss and the beginning of level 4). If you've never tried to earn an S or SS level on Ikaruga, you won't notice anything worth getting your panties into a bunch. You can still 1CC the new version if you could 1CC the old ports.

The things you've heard only reflect the ramblings of cranky internet folk.

That being said, a physical copy of Ikaruga is never a bad thing to have.
gradualmeltdown
128-bit

by gradualmeltdown Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:24 pm

Fo sure, unless you plan on playing Ikaruga perfectly the XBLA version is great. I for one am really good and can get S ranks on levels 1-3 and couldn't tell any timing differences. A few patterns were inverted but who cares? Once I saw the changes god forbid...... I adjusted to them!
I like old games
I like new games
I like games
peace4myheart
128-bit

by peace4myheart Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:28 pm

Forgot to mention. If you can play import for PS2, then you are in heaven as PS2 is the shmups console of its generation. Dodonpachi DOJ, Espgaluda, Ibara, Strikers 1945 Collection, Gunbird Collection, Dragon Blaze Collection, Sengoku Collection, Psyvariar 2, Mushihimesama just to name a few.

BTW, Silpheed for PS2 suck balls. I have it just because I collect shumps, but I only play it once or twice and never return to it again.
molotovwars
Next-Gen

by molotovwars Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Here is the massive Genesis list I mentioned:

http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page.php ... travaganza!
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:49 pm

Doctor Fugue wrote:As mentioned above, having a Genesis and/or Saturn will greatly expand your possibilities. On the Genesis I like MUSHA, Thunder Force III, Gaiares, and the slightly different game Sub-Terrania (it works more like Bangai-O but not as awesome).

The Saturn import games will cost a lot more but worth every penny: Radiant Silvergun of course, but also Soukyugurentai, DoDonPachi and the near-flawless Battle Garegga.

molotovwars wrote:How is Silpheed for the Playstation 2? And for anyone that knows, how is Silpheed for the Sega CD? I assume they're different games, and both don't run too expensive so I was thinking of picking up both versions, but wanted to hear some opinions on them.

I've never played the PS2 version, just watched some videos now. For some reason, wiki says it is an "enhanced remake" when really it appears to be a completely different set of levels.

The Sega CD Silpheed is my favourite Sega CD game; tight control and impressive early use of polygons. I tend to trust the Segagaga Domain site and he mentions that the Sega CD version "poops on" the PS2 game. That being said, the PS2 game was partly developed by Treasure, so it should be at least partly awesome.

I enjoy the Sega CD Silpheed as well:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/02/ ... ga-cd.html
marurun

by marurun Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:20 pm

I second the recommendation for the Raiden Project on PS1. It was one of the earlier games but is arcade perfect, just about.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Bootaaay
128-bit

by Bootaaay Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:54 am

Theres a load of great DC shooters you should consider picking up (i'd personally reccomend Zero Gunner 2, Under Defeat and Border Down) and it would definetly be worthwhile getting a Saturn as theres a ton of shooters and it's super easy to play imports (i'd personally reccomend Soukyugurentai, Battle Garegga, Layer Section, Sengoku Ace, Radiant Silvergun and Thunderforce V).

Here's my collection if anyone interested - it's mostly Dreamcast & Saturn, but i'm planning on picking up a Megadrive + MegaCD soon - any good Megadrive/CD SHMUPS I should look into?

-Batsugun, Battle Garegga, Blast Wind, Border Down, Cotton 2, Cotton Boomerang, Darius Gaiden, Detana Twinbee Yahho!, Donpachi, DoDonpachi, Game Paradise, Gekirindan, Gigawing 2, Gokujou Parodius, Gradius Deluxe Pack, Hyper Dual, Ikaruga, Last Hope, Layer Section, Mars Matrix, Metal Black, Radiant Silvergun, Rainbow Cotton, Sengoku Ace, Sexy Parodius

Shikigami no Shiro II, Skull Fang, Sol Divide, Soukyugurentai, Strikers 1945, Strikers 1945 II, Thunderforce V, Thunderforce Gold Pack 1, Thunderforce Gold Pack 2, Zero Gunner 2

DoDonpachi: DaiOuJou, ESPGaluda, Ibara, Mushihime-sama, Triggerheart Exelica, Under Defeat

ImageImage
Karous, Chaos Field, Trizeal
BigTinz
128-bit

by BigTinz Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:31 am

I like the ps2 cave ports...they do the arcade version justice...almost.

I recommend to all shooter fans to BUY A DAMN ARCADE MACHINE.
Return to Shmups