2D Shooters Invade
LoneCynic
32-bit

My Amateur Shmup Collection

by LoneCynic Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:59 pm

I've always enjoyed shooters, even though I am not that great at them. Although I prefer Vertical Shooters, I also enjoy the Horizontal ones too. I have what I'd consider a decent collection, although I am always on the lookout for more. Comments/suggestions are welcomed.

Playstation:
-Einhander
-Thunderforce V
-RayStorm
-RayCrisis
-Gunbird (Mobile Light Force)

Dreamcast:
-Gunbird 2
-Mars Matrix

-Bangai-O
-Cannon Spike

Gamecube:
-Chaos Field

Playstation 2:
-Castle Shikigami (Mobile Light Force 2)
-Castle Shikigami 2
-Raiden III
-Silpheed

Xbox 360 (Xbox Live Arcade):
-Galaga
-Triggerheart Excelica
-Ikaruga

Wii (Virtual Console):
-Axelay (SNES)
-Blazing Lasers (TG-16)
-Super Star Soldier (TG-16)
-Soldier Blade (TG-16)

Nintendo DS:
-Nanostray
-Nanostray 2

PSP:
-Gradius Collection

A modest collection to say the least. I would love to expand it, but shooters are released with little fanfare, and often disappear just as quickly as they hit store shelves sometimes. Some command hefty prices on the secondhand market, and I just can't justify the purchases for some of the more highly recommended shooters. Anyway, what others would you guys suggest? I prefer vertical shooters, but will buy anything that is within a reasonable price range, and I can find. So often, I don't even read about/hear about good shooters until it is too late. Well, thanks in advance for comments on my collection, and/or suggestions for other solid titles of the genre.
RackGaki
128-bit

by RackGaki Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:50 pm

You pretty much have all of the shoot 'em ups that I consider must-haves: Ikaruga, Einhander, etc. I would only suggest Castle of Shikigami III for the Nintendo Wii, since you have the first two in the series. I've had a blast with mine, plus it's only $30.

The only Dreamcast shooter that I have bought and paid for is DUX, but that's because of the ridiculous secondhand market for the DC. As much as I would like the complete shooters collection for the DC, it's not worth the $1,000+ to buy everything from collectors. And then to think that none of that money supported future shoot 'em ups in development...
peace4myheart
128-bit

by peace4myheart Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:42 am

For any serious shmups gamers, you have to get yourself the sega genesis, pc engine, and saturn. Saturn and genesis are pretty cheaps and there are so many good shmups on those systems.
Beat

by Beat Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:48 am

For PS1 you should try to find:
R-Types
R-Type Delta
G-Darius
Philosoma
Raiden Project
Strikers 1945
(There are others but those are pretty much all the good US releases)

For DC:
Gigawing
Gigawing 2
(the other good ones are imports)

PS2:
Gradius 3&4
Gradius 5
R-Type Final
It Must Be Jelly 'Cause Jam Don't Shake That Way
peace4myheart
128-bit

by peace4myheart Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:00 am

Beat wrote:For PS1 you should try to find:
R-Types
R-Type Delta
G-Darius
Philosoma
Raiden Project
Strikers 1945
(There are others but those are pretty much all the good US releases)

For DC:
Gigawing
Gigawing 2
(the other good ones are imports)

PS2:
Gradius 3&4
Gradius 5
R-Type Final

I second Gradius V for PS2. Probably the best shmups for that system. I also recommend Raiden Project for PS1/PS2 if you are into old school shmups. R-Type Delta is also great.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:19 am

Y'know, for as much as it costs, knowing how good it is to me, I still would get Radiant Silvergun for SS today. I absolutely love it.

That and any Aleste (made by Compile) shooters. Especially if you liked Blazing Lazers and the ~~ Soldier games, Super Aleste/Space Megaforce is awesome too (SNES).

Also, I'd get a disc of Ikaruga, either DC or GC, because I've heard that the XBLA version isn't as good (these people state that timing is off but I haven't played to see the diff).
molotovwars
Next-Gen

by molotovwars Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:21 am

How is Silpheed for the Playstation 2? And for anyone that knows, how is Silpheed for the Sega CD? I assume they're different games, and both don't run too expensive so I was thinking of picking up both versions, but wanted to hear some opinions on them.

When I get on my other computer I'll get you a link to an article that goes through every single shooter that came out for the Genesis, Sega CD, and 32x.
fox099
64-bit

by fox099 Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:38 am

I loved the shumps for the SNES, like UN Squadron and Gradius III. Also, there was one Robotech based one which was a total blast. Maybe you dont need to buy it, but emulate it for sure!
Consoles Owned: Nintendo SNES, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GBA, Sony PSX, PS2, PS3, Sega Master, Microsoft XBox
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:04 am

As mentioned above, having a Genesis and/or Saturn will greatly expand your possibilities. On the Genesis I like MUSHA, Thunder Force III, Gaiares, and the slightly different game Sub-Terrania (it works more like Bangai-O but not as awesome).

The Saturn import games will cost a lot more but worth every penny: Radiant Silvergun of course, but also Soukyugurentai, DoDonPachi and the near-flawless Battle Garegga.

molotovwars wrote:How is Silpheed for the Playstation 2? And for anyone that knows, how is Silpheed for the Sega CD? I assume they're different games, and both don't run too expensive so I was thinking of picking up both versions, but wanted to hear some opinions on them.

I've never played the PS2 version, just watched some videos now. For some reason, wiki says it is an "enhanced remake" when really it appears to be a completely different set of levels.

The Sega CD Silpheed is my favourite Sega CD game; tight control and impressive early use of polygons. I tend to trust the Segagaga Domain site and he mentions that the Sega CD version "poops on" the PS2 game. That being said, the PS2 game was partly developed by Treasure, so it should be at least partly awesome.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
Burnsro

by Burnsro Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:35 am

Doctor Fugue wrote:That being said, the PS2 game was partly developed by Treasure, so it should be at least partly awesome.

No. It's a horrible and boring game.
Return to Shmups