2D Shooters Invade
LoneCynic
32-bit

A Raiden III Story

by LoneCynic Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:10 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums, and was thinking for my first post I'd share a quick story with you all of a recent event for me.

My cousin, who is the same age as me (27) recently returned from his second tour in Iraq. He came to visit last weekend, and it was the first time we'd seen each other in four years. After spending the evening sharing stories and catching up, we retired to my gaming room for some R&R. After discussing games for a bit, I asked him if he remembered the shooting games we used to play together on the Genesis and Playstation back when we were in our early teens. I pulled out Raiden III (a recent purchase for me) and said I'd picked it up at Wal*Mart for $15 and wondered if he'd like to give it a try. He looked at the back for a moment, then looked at me and said "Oh hell yeah man, they don't make games like this very often anymore."

A few moments later we were engaged in a co-op effort and having a blast. We exhausted our lives and continues by the third board, and I was concerned he might be getting bored and ready to move on to something else. To my surprise, he looked at me and said, "I think we may have to give this a couple of goes, but I'm certain we can win this." "Awesome" I thought, he was enjoying himself as much as I was. We started to get into a groove, figuring out the patterns, how the power ups worked, and timing out bomb blasts to protect us from waves of incoming projectiles.

Somehow, in the midst of our playing session, we were kids again. The amusement we held at the tight spots we got through, and surviving against all odds when it seemed like we didn't stand a chance brought a level of nostalgia and joy I hadn't felt in years. On our fourth attempt, we finished off the final board, and sat back pleased with ourselves as the credits rolled. My cousin just sat there with a smile on his face and said to me, "That was an awesome game man." We went on to play some other games that night, but that game of Raiden III made the day for me.

I don't know when we'll get together again, or what games we'll play then, but I do know there's nothing like a good shooter to break the ice and bring back some great memories.
ott0bot
Next-Gen

by ott0bot Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:38 pm

That's an awesome story! That's why shmups are still my favorite genre. It's like you're transported back and you're just running on instinct. After hearing that I really need to pick up Raiden III, it go so-so reviews but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Check out Gradius V and R-Type Final for ps2 becasue there are both great throw back shooters with some modern graphics and features.

oh...and welcome to the forums!
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

by Flak Beard Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:46 pm

One of my best friends, we've known each other for over two decades. We get together every so often and play a game of Life Force. It's like you said LoneCynic, a great moment of nostalgia and feeling like a kid again. We happen to both be the same age as you and your cousin as well. :)
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Raiden may have gotten so-so reviews, but I am here to tell you that it is worth the $20 Wal*Mart has it for any day. It may not be the most original shooter, or one of the best shooters. I grant that, but for an all around fun experience, especially in co-op, you'd be hard pressed to find one as enjoyable and easy to pick up and play as Raiden III.
4ppleseed
64-bit

by 4ppleseed Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:25 pm

Great story 8)

When me and my buddy Sam get together we always play Super Tennis (SNES), maybe a bit of Contra 3, SWOS (Amiga) - brings back good memories of being 14. Last year we played thru River City Ransom together (a game we never had as kids), we played all the way thru and had a blast. Retro gaming ftw.
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

by Flak Beard Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:04 pm

LoneCynic wrote:Raiden may have gotten so-so reviews, but I am here to tell you that it is worth the $20 Wal*Mart has it for any day. It may not be the most original shooter, or one of the best shooters. I grant that, but for an all around fun experience, especially in co-op, you'd be hard pressed to find one as enjoyable and easy to pick up and play as Raiden III.

I've been pretty tempted to pick it up for this price, but I still have my fingers crossed hoping that Raiden Fighters Aces for 360 will make it stateside.
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:21 pm

Absolutely man, I have the Demo for Raiden Fighters Aces downloaded on my 360 (via a Japanese Silver Account I made), and it is truly an awesome game. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a localization on that one.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:36 pm

Rock on man, this is what gaming is about.
pompeyparsons
32-bit

by pompeyparsons Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:47 pm

Great story, thanks for sharing it with us.
abeisgreat
128-bit

by abeisgreat Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:57 pm

Bringing people together is what gaming is really about, thanks for sharing :D
Beep beep Beep
Return to Shmups