2D Shooters Invade
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:00 am

I did notice one thing that is definitely different. Shigi's lasers rotate counter-clockwise instead of clockwise (it's the fishy-looking mid-boss from chapter 3). Not a big deal, I suppose, but why change just one pattern? It is bound to throw off some people who have the game memorized (not me...I'm just trying to relearn this game).

I thought I was going crazy but other people have confirmed this quirk over at superplay.co.uk.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
gradualmeltdown
128-bit

by gradualmeltdown Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:14 pm

I'm hanging around 2,000,000 in all mode on normal. Thats not even finishing level 2. Once I can finish level 2 boss 3,000,000 is not a problem. My goal is to be able to score 2 million on each stage through 3. I don't have the time to get any better than that!
I like old games
I like new games
I like games
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:26 am

I'm really trying to re-learn the game. When it first came out, I only played on easy and I continued a few times to be able to finish the game. Now I'm trying to actually play the "real" way and learn the patterns and chain. Quite a different experience! Right now I'm just trying to perfect the first level...I'm having a lot of fun, though!

Has anybody tried online co-op? Is it playable? My gold membership just ran out so I haven't tried it yet.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
gradualmeltdown
128-bit

by gradualmeltdown Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:26 am

this game is soooo sick in co-op! My friend and I just hit 17th overall on level 1 co-op! Its really hard, but the possibilities are endless. You have to have a friend who plays the game I think, meeting randomly online might not work as well?
I like old games
I like new games
I like games
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

by RadarScope1 Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:44 pm

I'm going to activate my gold account that I've had laying around for a while. Maybe I could actually learn a thing or two about this game with another player who doesn't suck as bad as me ....
Daniel Primed
64-bit

by Daniel Primed Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:30 am

I bought the Gamecube version new a few months ago, I don't mind playing it vertically in HD even if it is stretched.
gradualmeltdown
128-bit

by gradualmeltdown Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:40 pm

There are lots of screen options available. I bought a DLP projector just for Shmups. I don't care that the actual gameplay area on the screen is only using a 3rd of the space when the screen is 80" wide.
I like old games
I like new games
I like games
gradualmeltdown
128-bit

by gradualmeltdown Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:53 am

This game is so great. Xbox live arcade is so bad ass.

leaderboards,online replays, co-op play, achievements, $10, 4 minute downloads

Because of these I play games I would not on other platforms. I play games twice as long. I finish games. I get good at games. My friend and I play Ikaruga everyday pushing each other to the edge. Same with REZ and Puzzle Fighter. Maybe its just personal bias to these games. I HATE Microsofts business practices but I love me some Xbox Live.

rant over
I like old games
I like new games
I like games
ZenLogikos
128-bit

by ZenLogikos Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:02 am

gradualmeltdown wrote:This game is so great. Xbox live arcade is so bad ass.

leaderboards,online replays, co-op play, achievements, $10, 4 minute downloads

Because of these I play games I would not on other platforms. I play games twice as long. I finish games. I get good at games. My friend and I play Ikaruga everyday pushing each other to the edge. Same with REZ and Puzzle Fighter. Maybe its just personal bias to these games. I HATE Microsofts business practices but I love me some Xbox Live.

rant over

Right-on.
timewarpgamer
64-bit

I love Ikaruga but have doubts about XBLA's future...

by timewarpgamer Tue May 20, 2008 1:08 am

gradualmeltdown wrote:This game is so great. Xbox live arcade is so bad ass.

Xbox live arcade definitely comes out with some killer releases. As a shoot 'em up fan, I'm totally spoiled. Assault Heroes, Rez HD, Ikaruga, and now Assault Heroes 2. Can a supposedly dead genre get any better than this on next gen consoles? Well, technically the Wii offers an amazing shoot 'em up library on the Virtual Console, but there isn't anything that pushes graphics into the (HD) next gen.

Despite some of XBLA's amazing downloads, I do think that Microsoft is running into problems in terms of original games. Overall, the most successful titles on XBLA seem to be re-releases or pseudo sequels to already-established franchises. Don't get me wrong; I love the likes of Rez, Ikaruga, Puzzle Quest, and Prince of Persia. But with these heavy-hitters with the format ever see new and original titles experiencing great success?

I wish Microsoft the best of luck. Competition with the Wii will only force new downloads to strive for a higher quality on both consoles, and we—the gamers—will benefit!
I run the 8/16-bit retro site TimeWarpGamer and if you want to follow the latest updates, check me out on Twitter.
Return to Shmups