2D Shooters Invade
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:09 am

HeavyMetalMe wrote:There's a story to it?

To Ikaruga? Yes. While I don't know japanese, I could realize there is a story in there. In stage 1 the place that made the special color changing ships is under attack, it seems that after defending the place the pilots decide to go on and make for it until the final showdown with an evil empire's boss.

Ivo.
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

by RadarScope1 Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:16 pm

Topher from D-toid wrote a cool article about Ikaruga's story a few months ago. Some quick searching should turn it up.
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

by RadarScope1 Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:15 pm

It's officially official: Ikaruga hits XBLA on Wednesday. Just $10 in HD with lots of extras not included in the other ports. Here's the details on all the nice little touches from the IGN review that's already up:

"Leaderboards are now built into the game for you to see exactly how much better some people are. You can even download saved recordings of the best players to see how they did it. You can save your own as well, but if you're like me they're not much to brag about. There's online, offline, and system link co-op as well, and in my experience it runs without any noticeable lag. It's also my experience that a second ship on screen can be a bit much and Ikaruga is best as a solo game, but the option is there if you want it. And of course, the game can be customized from button configuration to the positioning of different parts of the heads-up-display to how you want to rotate the display on your screen (for those of you with TV that can swivel vertically)."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/864/864903p1.html

System link co-op! Most AAA multiplayer retail titles don't even offer that. Treasure has really done this right. I also found the piece by Topher at D-toid I mentioned earlier.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-thinking ... 0929.phtml

Ezzen and I going to hit this up in co-op this week. I'm not the best shmup player, but I'm down for the challenge.
gradualmeltdown
128-bit

by gradualmeltdown Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:25 am

so awesome. I'm not amazingly good at these things but we should play together. Gotta get warmed up on the Cube version.
I like old games
I like new games
I like games
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:21 am

RadarScope1 wrote:
System link co-op! Most AAA multiplayer retail titles don't even offer that. Treasure has really done this right. I also found the piece by Topher at D-toid I mentioned earlier.

Maybe it's because I've been up for 30 hours, but why would Ikaruga need system link co-op? I figure the only games that need system link are ones that would normally have split-screen on one TV, like a racing game.

Anyway...I'll be out there playing too, can't wait.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

by RadarScope1 Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:14 am

That's my point. This game doesn't even need LAN co-op. Yet some games that do need it don't have it. Doubt I'll ever use it but I just thought it was interesting.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:46 am

It's here...go download it now!!!

It looks great and plays great! I haven't found any problems yet. I don't see the "trial mode" but maybe it is unlocked later or I guess you can just set up the options yourself. Other than that, there are lots of good options to choose from, and the leaderboards are fairly easy to navigate.

Do the white bullets look more blue in this version?
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
ZenLogikos
128-bit

by ZenLogikos Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:14 am

doctorfugue wrote:Do the white bullets look more blue in this version?

Maybe slightly, but I don't think it has to do with any intentional changes on the developer's part...I for one am now using an HDTV with HDMI input. I think the cause may be the better cabling and display. Overall, the colors appear slightly richer. The higher resolution lets one see better the red and blue edges of bullets.

One man's theory...
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:38 am

Ezzen wrote:
doctorfugue wrote:Do the white bullets look more blue in this version?

Maybe slightly, but I don't think it has to do with any intentional changes on the developer's part...I for one am now using an HDTV with HDMI input. I think the cause may be the better cabling and display. Overall, the colors appear slightly richer. The higher resolution lets one see better the red and blue edges of bullets.

One man's theory...

Sounds reasonable to me! I don't have a HDMI-capable 360....poor me.
ZenLogikos
128-bit

by ZenLogikos Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:53 am

Hmmm. Well then my theory would only apply to me!

I don't know what you're seeing! :P
Return to Shmups