2D Shooters Invade
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

What are the best shoot em ups for PS4/PC? (current gen)

by Violent By Design Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:59 pm

Hey y'all, I just got an arcade stick to play fighting games, so I figure I can dive into some Shmups as well.

What are some good modern SHMUPS? Any good ones come out this year?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: What are the best shoot em ups for PS4/PC? (current gen)

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:36 am

I don't know if it got a PS4 or PC release (though I assume it at least got PC), but I have Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype on Vita, and it's fantastic. Raiden V is also quite good, and while I have it on Xbox One, the PS4 version has some additions/enhancements IIRC.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:46 am

For PS4.

Astebreed (this is a mash-up of Hack n Slash and Shmup, IMO best on this list but cannot be played with an arcade stick..there is a reason for that. Its control scheme is a bit complex but the game is so damn good)
Caladrius Blaze (if sensitive to barely clad anime girls this game may be an issue for you)
Ghost Blade HD (bullet hell but no credit feeding, limited lives and continues, great OST)
Sine Mora EX (its mechanic is instead of lives you have limited time and must kill enemies to keep your time up, makes it challenging and fast paced)
Darius Burst CS (full price tho but does have tons of cool retro franchises like from SEGA, Konami and many more related DLC. Even without the DLC you have 3000 stages to play. You read that right. IT'S OVER 3000!)

Raiden V will out in either September or October. Amazon won't make up their mind.

I didn't care for this game but many liked it. Blue Rider. The floaty controls ruined it for me.

Then the PS4 is loaded with older Shmups from the 80s arcade on PSN Store. I can't remember which ones but some really well-known classics and some not as well known. I do know Neo Geo is one of them. I think..not sure but I think Gradius is up there. I will echo that on Vita Soldner is amazing and if you want Physical it's 25 bucks on Play-Asia and yes it's in English.

Astebreed-*Physical/Digital (only had a physical LRG run)
Caladrius Blaze-Physical/Digital (physical can be had on Amazon or Play Asia)
Dariusburst CS-Physical/Digital (Physical can be bought on Play Asia and while mostly in English some parts are in Japanese, still easy to navigate)
Sine Mora EX-Physical Digital(Physical is 20 dollars US)
Raiden V (will have Physical in October)
Ghost Blade HD *Physical/Digital (had a physical on Play Asia but sold out, LRG will be releasing it this year)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Violent By Design wrote:Hey y'all, I just got an arcade stick to play fighting games, so I figure I can dive into some Shmups as well.

What are some good modern SHMUPS? Any good ones come out this year?

For the PC, Mame-Mame-Mame. Discover all the arcade games for your arcade stick and be prepared to hibernate.

A good SHMUP reference site for classic and modern games: http://shmups.system11.org/
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:38 pm

Deathsmiles and Mushi are on Steam. All you need for a while.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

by marlowe221 Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:41 pm

I am not really much of a shmup guy.

But I do like Danmaku Unlimited 2 and 3. I have them on PC via Steam.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:49 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:A good SHMUP reference site for classic and modern games: http://shmups.system11.org/

And if you do go that route, check out this post :)
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/shooters ... d-shooters
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:43 am

To add to the list I posted earlier. Raiden V on PS4 is pretty awesome. The only real downside is the borders are so busy.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:25 am

Battle Garegga is on ps4. You're welcome. :)

Other than that and Dangun Feveron, my personal favorites have been Darius Burst and Caladrius Blaze.

Ghost Blade is okay for a couple days. It borrows a bit much from Dodonpachi, to the point that I'd rather play that.

PC is kinda a can of worms. If there are other shmups you really enjoy, I could point towards some that may excite, but a point-blank list would be beastly, even only looking at newer stuff.
Return to Shmups