2D Shooters Invade
marurun

Darius series, classic non-Danmaku shooters

by marurun Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:12 am

So, just today I was watching a Darius Force (Super Nova) run on YouTube, and it dawned on my that neither of the SNES Darius games are really all that good compared to the PC Engine ports, and even Sagaia (Darius II) on Genesis. The PC Engine was really the platform for those earliest Darius titles. And while Darius did make it to 3D, it has followed the same slow pace for sequels that the other once-landmark shooter series have. Latest title in 2009, and before that, 2002 and 1997. R-Type and Gradius have had the same indignity. Makes me wonder if there's room in the modern pantheon for these classic, non-danmaku-style games. Heck, Gradius V moved somewhat close to danmaku territory.

Thoughts?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: Darius series, classic non-Danmaku shooters

by Segata Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Apologies to bump such an old topic. I have not playa Darius since G-Darius on PS1 in a local game store for like an hour. I am now just waiting for my physical copy of DariusBurst CS in the mail on PS4. SNES just was not the place for Shmups. It had some decent ones but yeah PC Engine and Genesis were the go to systems that gen.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:21 pm

Segata wrote:Apologies to bump such an old topic. I have not playa Darius since G-Darius on PS1 in a local game store for like an hour. I am now just waiting for my physical copy of DariusBurst CS in the mail on PS4. SNES just was not the place for Shmups. It had some decent ones but yeah PC Engine and Genesis were the go to systems that gen.

Welcome to RB!

DariusBurst CS is a fantastic offering, glad it got the Limited Run treatment. I had intended to grab a Vita version myself.
marurun

by marurun Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:53 am

I am just surprised by how expensive DariusBurst CS still is on Steam, and how much the total package is if you start buying DLC.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:22 pm

The best price I've seen on PSN has been $20. I think I paid $26-30 myself.
Return to Shmups