2D Shooters Invade
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Cave games on 360

by Doctor Fugue Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:08 pm

The fourth Donpachi game (Black Label) and Ketsui are coming to the 360! I don't know how Microsoft managed to convince Cave to release anything in the US, but hopefully this will let Cave know we like their games!

As reported by Kotaku:
http://kotaku.com/363997/cave-shmups-coming-to-xbox-360

Other great shooters by Cave that anyone who loves curtain-fire patterns should try:
DoDonpachi
Mushihime-sama
Progear
ESP Ra. De.
Espgaluda
Ibara
Guwange

...there are also a few sequels for some of these games.

Cave has been a strong supporter of the PS2 so again I don't know why they are showing love for Microsoft. Ah well, who cares. Shooters are awesome.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

by Flak Beard Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:20 pm

This is great news! Now I just got to find a 360 controller with a decent d-pad for SHMUPs. Isn't there some new Hori controller coming out this month?
ZenLogikos
128-bit

by ZenLogikos Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:03 am

The article doesn't say anything about them coming to the US...The kotaku writer makes a "crack at the US" comment, which is based on nothing, since the original article doesn't mention the US either. I hope I'm wrong.

I already have Dai Ou Jou and Espgaluda for the PS2. I would like Ketsui though.

In this age of widescreen though, I'd really like to see the reemergence of horizontal shmups for 360. How about Progear and Death Smiles, Cave? How about ports of Darius I and II(they're widescreen, for god sakes!)? How about a new Gradius? How about Salamander I and II(or a new one)? There are plenty others, but I think I own the rest I didn't mention.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:33 am

Yeah, I've never seen _actual_ confirmation that they are coming to the US, and I'm not sure why other sites as well are saying that they are. We can all hope it's true.

A new Hori controller? I've been using their 360 DOA4 controller for MAME and it's pretty good. I haven't seen anything about a new one since the VF5 version of the stick. What I would like is Sega's High Grade stick...that thing looks perfect, and it has a Sanwa stick and buttons.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
peace4myheart
128-bit

by peace4myheart Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:42 am

Dodonpachi DOJ BL and Ketsui will more than likely not come to America. In addition, it will also probably be region locked so the only route would most likely to buy a JPN XBOX360 or mod one if one wants to play them. I just hope they do decide to release them here in the US along with Raiden Fighters. I am a big fan of shmups and those three reasons alone would warrant an XBOX360 buy for me, RROD be damned!!!
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:50 am

I guess it is looking more likely that they won't come here. I was too excited to think reasonably about it. Damn them.

Are there any games that only get NA release and people in Japan import a Western console just to play that game? The one game I can think of recently that was imported a whole bunch to Japan was Contra 4 but of course the DS is region free so that doesn't really matter.
geist
8-bit

by geist Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:17 pm

Just a quick update.

I heard on 1up that these games have been denied by Microsoft for XBOX Live completely and so won't be coming out at all.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:32 am

geist wrote:Just a quick update.

I heard on 1up that these games have been denied by Microsoft for XBOX Live completely and so won't be coming out at all.

Geez. Seriously? I guess that saves me trying to get a cheap JP 360.

What reason could there be for that?
HeavyMetalMe
128-bit

by HeavyMetalMe Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:56 am

doctorfugue wrote:
geist wrote:Just a quick update.

Geez. Seriously? I guess that saves me trying to get a cheap JP 360.

What reason could there be for that?

Don't quit yet. Wasn't it on here that I found a link saying that Capcom is gonna revive all of it's old shmups?

I found a link to one of 'em... http://www.techshout.com/gaming/2008/14/1942-joint-strike-arcade-shooter-for-xbox-360-ps3-announced-by-capcom/
High-Brow Gag & Pure Shooting
Return to Shmups