2D Shooters Invade
Nyukki
128-bit

Best places to buy shmup PCBs

by Nyukki Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:28 am

Today is a great day, for today is the day my wife finally permitted me to buy a candy cab!

I won't be buying one immediately, much research to be done and need to wait for the right deal to come along.

However, just wondering if anyone can recommend any good places to buy shmup PCBs. Cave, Raizing, Psikyo stuff etc.

I live in China, so importing from Japan is probably how I would proceed. Anyone know any good ebay/yahoo auctions/amazon sellers where I can have a browse, or other online retailers?

Cheers dudes.
Nick
Weekend shmupper
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Re: Best places to buy shmup PCBs

by KalessinDB Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:30 am

Congrats!

Ask Mike (mjmjr25), he can tell you the people to deal with I'm sure. Being in China will make the delivery fees much more reasonable I imagine.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:36 pm

The prices are going up on all shmup pcbs over the last couple years, even on yahoo japan. I recently found a Zero Wing on the shmups forum for a great price, but I also bought Vasara 2 and Thunder Dragon, which were not cheap on yahoo.

I suggest working on getting your machine first. If a deal comes along that you like during that time then make the purchase. Most of the shmup pcbs I have seen are fetching a min. of $150-200 USD for the decent titles FYI
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:59 pm

I would start with System11 forums and Yahoo Japan. Get a short list together, it will be expensive.
Nyukki
128-bit

by Nyukki Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:01 am

Thanks dudes.

I know they can get ridiculously expensive, had a look on ebay and a garegga pcb is listed for 1000 dollars (!).

I'm still contemplating it, but perhaps I'll do the hooking up my 360 route first as a "just getting into the hobby" move.

Plus, when looking around for cabs, Blast City cabs seem to be abundant in Beijing and I heard it's quite easy to hook up a 360.
Weekend shmupper
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:33 am

Anything that has SCART and can take PS2 controllers through adapters can be converted to Jamma through EvilTims device:
http://etim.net.au/scart2arcV20_orders/orders.htm

But legit PCB is amazing.
Nyukki
128-bit

by Nyukki Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:52 am

that scart to jamma thing looks cool.

but I just sealed the deal on a strikers 1945 3 pcb, 230 RMB inc. postage, about $40 US.

got a bit over excited but it seemed like a good deal and I remember playing it in an arcade a few years back and liked it.

found a dude selling an astro city in some village outside of beijing, gonna drive down and check it out next week. might need some advice on what questions to ask/details to look out for when looking at the cab to make sure i don't buy a piece of crap.

cheers guys
Weekend shmupper
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:55 pm

Two of my best contacts are China based - I can get you direct w/them when needed, just lmk.

As others said - get a list BEFORE or you'll fall into the trap we all fall into...buying everything that pops up at inflated prices only to find out when a game you really want becomes available; your money is spend and your stuck with games...like Strikers III :twisted:

You could pick up a King of Air pandora board for about $60 in China (that's where they all originate from) and get an idea of what you want. It has 51 of the best shmups - it's really a great little piece of kit for trying out those unported shooties.

Yahoo Japan is no longer a great option - even in the past year with so many Euros and Americans using proxies - it's essentially the same as US ebay. Just 18 months ago and definitely 3-5 years ago that wasn't the case. Now we see MVS carts and CAVE boards go for more there than here. Also, the Yen is gaining strength, up 7 cents in the last 4-5 months.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:13 pm

I own a blast city and love it a lot, but know that going the ps/xbox route requires a pad hack setup for your controls.
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
Nyukki
128-bit

by Nyukki Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:55 am

@Mike, yes please on the China intros, thanks dude!

I found a guy selling the King of Air, about $40 US, but the dude said it won't work on CRTs. Apparently there's a 15khz version but I haven't seen it anywhere.

@Brad, there are a lot of guys here that sell 360 arcade stick PCBs, so no need for padhack, really convenient. I had one in my bartop.
Weekend shmupper
Return to Shmups