2 helicopter based SHMUPS on the DC...
Only one shall reign supreme...
Whats your opinion?
claudio
128-bit

by claudio Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:35 pm

both are great but the clear winner is

UNDER DEFEAT!!!

you should have just created a poll by the way.
philipofmacedon
32-bit

by philipofmacedon Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:46 pm

Under Defeat rules. I was playing it just yesterday.

I show it to people who doubt the greatness of the Dreamcast and they are silenced. It looks great on a big HD tv with the VGA cable.

Shooting those tanks and planes is deeply satisfying. When I use the super bomb and there's that pause and then the screen fills with glorious flames - I am filled with joy.

Getting used to flying at an angle takes some work, but it just gives Under Defeat more unique character.
nick944
64-bit

by nick944 Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:58 pm

Under Defeat, love it. The only thing I can say I don't like about it is the soundtrack which gets pretty annoying if you play it too much.
HeavyMetalMe
128-bit

by HeavyMetalMe Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:10 am

I'm gonna go against the grain on this one and go with Zero Gunner 2. Originally the whole 360 degree rotation wasn't quite my thing or what I wanted at all, but I found myself really digging it. And I'm not gonna lie, I'm not as good at Under Defeat.

So yeah, my vote is ZG2.
High-Brow Gag & Pure Shooting
Chairman.Love

by Chairman.Love Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:13 am

I played the hell out of Zero Gunner 2, and loved the two player co-op. Boss battles blew my mind. But graphically Under Defeat is unbelievable! I mean the way bullets hit metal, or that epic giant tank battle! Biggest question, why are these and so many other prime shooters from the dreamcast getting the cold shoulder from XBLA?
up, down, up, down, left, hey, chu, chu...
Radiant Hero
24-bit

by Radiant Hero Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:59 am

Chairman.Love wrote:...why are these and so many other prime shooters from the dreamcast getting the cold shoulder from XBLA?

I am as baffled as you are by Microsoft's lack of punctuality in acquiring stellar 2D Shmups. Imagine Under Defeat or Zero Gunner 2 in HD alongside leader board score charts from a worldwide collective. Sigh...at least I have my DC.
Chairman.Love

by Chairman.Love Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:27 pm

Radiant Hero wrote:
Chairman.Love wrote:...why are these and so many other prime shooters from the dreamcast getting the cold shoulder from XBLA?

I am as baffled as you are by Microsoft's lack of punctuality in acquiring stellar 2D Shmups. Imagine Under Defeat or Zero Gunner 2 in HD alongside leader board score charts from a worldwide collective. Sigh...at least I have my DC.

Well what I would really like to find out is the cost it took to port Trigger Heart Exelica to XBLA. I know it gets ignored quite a bit because the game is already designed, but figures like that might speak to some degree about what makes these decisions. Microsoft seems incredibly tight lipped about anything doing with Live. I read one piece where they wouldn't even discuss sales on XBLA and recommended you could tell how well a game is doing by how many of your friends were playing it :shock:

I enjoy Trigger Heart, but I have a hard time believing it has more economic potential than ZG2, Under Defeat, or Borderdown.
up, down, up, down, left, hey, chu, chu...
Radiant Hero
24-bit

by Radiant Hero Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:03 am

I agree with you all the way Chairman. I wonder why a game such as Trigger Heart Exelica would make it the 360 and not Border Down. I mean c'mon, Border Down? It's right up there with the likes of Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun.
marurun

by marurun Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:03 pm

More recent stuff is easier to port and sell because it's more at the top of people's minds. Further, it's not like Microsoft is picking and porting these games. Some other company is. I trust these companies to know their markets. And lets face it, shooters don't sell well these days. We're not the majority as gamers go, unfortunately.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Shmups