2D Shooters Invade
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2016 (October - Blazing Lazers)

by ExedExes Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:09 am

Welcome to the thread fahlim. You're more than welcome to play it, even though it's no longer October. I was unable to get to the thread yesterday, and the final scores will be up momentarily.

The rest of you, keep playing it too!

The "gold" lives mean that if you die, you'll start right at that spot instead of a checkpoint like you normally do. It's the same system used in Space Megaforce (SNES), also by Compile.
Last edited by ExedExes on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2016 (October - Blazing Lazers)

by ExedExes Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:12 am

Final Blazing Lazers scores -

Alienjesus - 13,087,910 - ALL - TG-16
ExedExes - 3,113,060 - Area 9 - MAME
fahlim003
8-bit

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2016 (October - Lazing Blazers)

by fahlim003 Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:06 pm

13 187 680

At first I felt postively towards the game - the first two stages music is good, a version of the Compile weapon system is present and it looks and feels a lot like Final Soldier, a game I hold in high esteem for TG16 shooters. As it stands I don't look fondly on Lazing Blazers upon first inspection.

The music, while good, is more repetitive than I'd like and some stages ( 3 & 8 ) have awful music repeating constantly through the trademark (albeit shorter) Compile endless stages. The first two stages are a bit sparse which considering there are only nine in total, leaves little room for variety. Speaking of which the enemies aren't very dynamic either and pardon some threats in the final gauntlet on stage 9, navigating the bubble hell on a low power up on stage 8, or getting nicked anywhere else in the game beyond stage 2 forcing panic tactics to survive the stage (lots of bombing) its not that enjoyable. The problem for me might be the hitbox size, its huge and feels to jut beyond the sprite of the ship as frequently I wondered how I got hit and am treated with the subsequent supreme power-down. Reuse of the stage 1 boss on stage 7 no less than three times was disappointing too.

Its no bad game yet the checkpoints on stage 9 are infuriating essentially requiring a flawless run to pass through unscathed make a strong argument along with the points above. Aleste, Super Aleste (Space Megaforce), & Power Strike 2 are far more enjoyable fare for my money. Perhaps the Caravan version of Gunhed is better.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2016 (November - Month Off)

by ExedExes Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:01 am

We're back to finish the year off with Boogie Wings! A very obscure shmup from Data East, you won't believe how crazy it gets. This is a must play.

*INFORMATION*
MAME romset: boogwing.zip
Description: Boogie Wings (Euro v1.5, 92.12.07)
Settings: Default

Autofire: Pressing the shot button quickly enables a special lightning attack, it would be advised to keep it off.

Format: Name - Score
Nyukki
128-bit

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2016 (December - Boogie Wings)

by Nyukki Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:56 pm

This game is tripping balls, man.
Weekend shmupper
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:19 pm

SOTM nominating team, check your PMs and send me your games for next year's calendar.

If you're unsure if you are on the nominating team, check the first post in this thread. Ninjainspandex is replacing mjmjr25.

(of course, keep playing this month's game!)
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup Club 2016 (Boogie Wings) Nominators CHECK PMs for

by ExedExes Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:13 am

ExedExes - 158,870

Absolutely crazy. That Christmas level is brutal.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup Club 2016 (Boogie Wings) Nominators CHECK PMs for

by ExedExes Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:28 am

Friendly bump for the nominators!
ChrisHaha2049
24-bit

by ChrisHaha2049 Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:41 pm

Wild... Love the soundtrack.

ChrisH2049 - 149,750

ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:10 am

** ANNOUNCEMENT **

Due to declining participation in 2016 (myself included) and a lack of nominations for the coming year, I have decided to end the Shmup of The Month after the current month finishes. I've had a lot go on outside the forum in the past year that is all ongoing in the new year and I could not fully commit to play the games you all chose as often as I wanted, but I was able to update and put the new game up every month. I see that has also been the case for a lot of people on the forums on a whole and not just in this particular subforum (I've noticed Together Retro participation drop sharply as well this year).

However, for those few who sent their nominations to me, I will be creating new high score threads for those games in the next day or two. These will ensure that they will have a permanent place in the forum as well as not let them go to waste, plus they will be open at all times with no monthly time limit, which may make them better to participate in overall for those who have the time.

Before I conclude, I would like to thank the following who made the past 5 years in SOTM a great success.

- brunoafh, the original club starter and the one that ran it for the first 2 years.
- mjmjr25, no longer with us on Racketboy and also a reason why it would be difficult for this to continue, he ran the Racketboy Community Shmup Tournament for 3 of the 5 years the SOTM was active.
- All the nominators throughout the years who offered us the game lineups for us to play. It was hard to find new names to replace the inactive members who stopped coming here every year, but those people who replaced them came up with great suggestions.

Scores for the current game will continue to be accepted through the end of the period, January 1st at 10:00AM Eastern Time.

Thank you all to those who nominated, played, and participated. Shmups will continue to be my favorite gaming genre and I hope it will be too for all of you.

Dan (ExedExes)
Return to Shmups