Post scores as:
score - name - team name - stage - format

High Scores:
DocHauser
128-bit

Re: Week 4 STGT 2015 - Under Defeat

Post by DocHauser »

It's also on Xbox360.

I know the HD/Deluxe editions had extra ships, which weren't in the arcade original (or DC version). Are these only available in the 'New Order' mode, or can you select them in arcade as well?
Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

I've never played not owned this game. Should be interesting.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

Kidpanda wrote:I've never played not owned this game. Should be interesting.

You're in for a treat. Something about this game just speaks to me on a different level. The gameplay, graphics, explosions, everything just seems to come together to make a great shmup IMO.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

skate323k137 wrote:
Kidpanda wrote:I've never played not owned this game. Should be interesting.

You're in for a treat. Something about this game just speaks to me on a different level. The gameplay, graphics, explosions, everything just seems to come together to make a great shmup IMO.

Yep - this is top 5 all-time for me. Love love love this game. Haven't played in over a year again and only had time for 2 runs tonight - but it's already coming back.

==============================

Arcade Mode Only
360 version ok, of course
Arbitrary and unilateral decision - I imagine most folks won't have much time to play Thanksgiving, or at minimum will be doing some travel - so i'm extending week 4 (24) hours through SUNDAY at midnight.

(also, I still have to tally the Gunbird scores...sorry...busy day)
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

I'm going to have to sit this one out. I'll be out of town for most of the week for Thanksgiving.

Good luck to all and I'll catch you guys in the next one.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Got an hour in tonight - 4th boss is a beast; takes forever to kill and I can't seem to do it.

I hope to get more runs Saturday, but will be out of town next 3 days.

1,184,320 - mjmjr25 - The Smorking Section - 1-4 - PS3
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I'm enjoying this game so far. I like being able to angle the shot.

Its hard to see sometimes though. There were several instances of "What the hell just killed me?!" before I finally realized that the first boss shoots teeny tiny little missiles in addition to the regular blasts.

By the way, are we allowed to use the dual stick mode, or is that against the spirit of the challenge for this game?
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Yep - every boss is a challenge to sort out - #2 is super easy once you figure it out. #1 the patterns aren't hard - but knowing where to hit him and avoiding the white missiles is a pain.

Wait until #3 with the missile seekers - those are a real pain.

Regarding the dual shot - I guess I don't know what that is? Is it only on certain modes? Is it part of new order mode or something?
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

mjmjr25 wrote:Yep - every boss is a challenge to sort out - #2 is super easy once you figure it out. #1 the patterns aren't hard - but knowing where to hit him and avoiding the white missiles is a pain.

Wait until #3 with the missile seekers - those are a real pain.

Regarding the dual shot - I guess I don't know what that is? Is it only on certain modes? Is it part of new order mode or something?

I'll keep an eye out for number 3, if I get that far! :lol:

The dual stick mode is just a new control type in the options menu on the PS3 version. I assume it affects every mode, but I've only been playing the arcade mode.

Anyway, turning on dual stick sets it up so that the right analog stick can be used to turn your chopper, and it fires in whatever direction you're facing as long as you're holding the stick.

I feel like it makes the game easier, since you don't have to stop shooting to set a new angle like the traditional controls.

I'm thinking its not ok for this tourney, especially since anyone not playing the HD version won't have the option, but I figured I'd ask.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.