SOTM 2015 -- Calendar revealed!

2D Shooters Invade
ExedExes
Next-Gen

SOTM 2015 -- Calendar revealed!

Post by ExedExes »

The calendar is up, click here to view!

Original post behind spoiler tag.

It's time to put together the calendar for 2015 Shmup of The Month!
The format will be the same as last year, THE SHMUPTATORSHIP!

The Shmuptatorship is 10 names with a few changes to replace those who were inactive in the past year. The nominators for 2015 are:

DocHauser
dsheinem
dunpeal2064
EllertMichael
ExedExes
foxhound1022
mjmjr25
noiseredux
Nyukki
TSTR

Those listed (if you so choose to participate in this), please PM me *1* shmup of your choosing, arcade OR console, by Sunday 12/7 @ 11PM ET.

There are 10 names because Raiden will be played in December on the regular Together Retro. I'd like to concentrate on that game and since it has so many ports as well as Raiden II/DX being finally playable in MAME, that will make for a nice finish to the end of the year.

Also, after seeing some people voice their opinions about November not being a good time for STGT as it limited participation for those who signed up and couldn't play due to holiday activities and new game releases, I think a shift to October might be good as that month has had a historically low turnout for whatever shmup was picked. We can shift the STGT to October and leave November free for a regular game, if that's cool with mjmjr25 because he puts the whole thing together and does a great job as always. November is highly favored -- let's keep it there!!!!

Once again will the 10 names above please PM me ASAP so that I have time this weekend to put these games together for next year. I will then reveal the new calendar in about a week.

Here is a list of what has already been played --
[spoiler]Truxton
Axelay
Dragon Blaze
Zanac X Zanac
Dimahoo
Metal Black
Radiant Silvergun
X-Multiply
ExedExes
Mars Matrix
DoDonPachi
Castle of Shikigami II
Dragon Spirit
Air Gallet
Crimzon Clover
Varth
Cotton Boomerang
Rapid Hero
Shienryuu
Homura
Raiden IV
Giga Wing
Blazing Star
Rayforce
Battle Bakraid
Gaiares
Chaos Field
1943 Kai
Ikaruga
Phelios
DDP Dai-Ou-Jou
Super-X
Xexex
[/spoiler]
Last edited by ExedExes on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:35 am, edited 7 times in total.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: SOTM 2015 -- Listed names, PM your picks!

Post by TSTR »

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO ME HAHAHAHA

For real though, I am so happy to be included. Now I just need to make sure I don't pick something shitty.

Also, I still plan on running the VSav tourney in October again. Not really a conflict for me, but I don't know how others feel.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

TSTR wrote:ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO ME HAHAHAHA

For real though, I am so happy to be included. Now I just need to make sure I don't pick something shitty.

Also, I still plan on running the VSav tourney in October again. Not really a conflict for me, but I don't know how others feel.

You were active this year here and all throughout the STGT we had. Welcome aboard!

Got your pick too. That's one I haven't actually played or considered before. Starting off with a good one! I think it's going to be well received.

What was the VSav tournament? Was it held here? The last thing I want to do is conflict with something else going on at the same time. I'm fine with November personally for STGT, but I saw some people preferring it at a different time in the end of STGT discussion thread. Just putting out the possibility to see what the participants say about it.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

It was a month long fighting game tourney I did here this year in October with horror DVDs as prizes. Like I said, I personally don't see any conflict with shmupping a game for a week and working in a couple quick sets of Vampire Savior (if you're participating in both), but I know some folks have limited time or whatever. STGT can certainly take priority, since my thing is new in comparison.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Shows how much I know right? :lol: Cool idea for a tournament.

That's not a problem, another month we can do could be August, since it's still summer and that's when the Shmups forum's STGT was traditionally held. But if more people like November like me, it won't be a problem.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

First of all, honoured to be taking part. Still relatively new to shmups but it's quickly becoming pretty much the only genre I play. So thanks!

I generally don't have too big an issue with November for STGT, though next year in December I will likely have accounting exams, September or October might be better for me, but I'll leave it to mj.

For 2015 choices are we ruling out PC exclusive stuff like Touhou and Ether Vapor etc.?

Sent from my SM-G7508Q using Tapatalk
Weekend shmupper
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

not to be a pain, just being honest, if STGT is in October I likely won't participate. October is a big month around here (meaning my house) and there's tons of time devoted to watching horror movies, playing horror games, decorating, etc.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

I'm pretty sure I was the only complainer about the STGT being in November. If it works for everyone else, I'll adapt. :D
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

noiseredux wrote:not to be a pain, just being honest, if STGT is in October I likely won't participate. October is a big month around here (meaning my house) and there's tons of time devoted to watching horror movies, playing horror games, decorating, etc.

Point taken. I'd be in favor in keeping it to November then. I'll strike that part of the post out, it seems to work for 90% of us :lol:

Nyukki wrote:For 2015 choices are we ruling out PC exclusive stuff like Touhou and Ether Vapor etc.?

Keeping it to arcade & consoles for now. Still plenty of good stuff out there to pick! The goal is to try to get as many people playing something every month and by doing that it would be a lot easier.

Got my picks from TSTR & dsheinem so far. They're both strong and accessible. That's all ima gonna say :lol:

OP updated. 8 more to pick (er, 7, I've got mine in mind), still plenty of time.