2D Shooters Invade
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Lightening Force!!!!

by ott0bot Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:08 am

I just picked this game up for 2 bucks, and being a fan of the Thunder Force series, I got addicted. I got to the final boss but ended up running out of continues. But I will beat it soon!!!! I think this is probably my favorite horizontal shmup for the Gennny. Really challengeing gameplay, great looking backrounds and enemies, good weapon system, and enough lives and continues so it's not super frustating.

What do you think? Whats your favorite horizonal shmup on the Genesis or Mega Drive?
marurun

by marurun Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:10 pm

I think Lightening Force (aka Thunderforce IV) is certainly one of the best. Bio Hazard Battle is also quite nice, as is Wings of Wor. Those are probably my 3 favorites.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Funk, E
128-bit

by Funk, E Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:49 pm

It took me SO LONG to beat Bio-Hazard Battle. I kept dying on the fish boss.
SnowKitty
Next-Gen

Re: Lightening Force!!!!

by SnowKitty Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:08 pm

ott0bot wrote:I just picked this game up for 2 bucks, and being a fan of the Thunder Force series, I got addicted. I got to the final boss but ended up running out of continues. But I will beat it soon!!!! I think this is probably my favorite horizontal shmup for the Gennny. Really challengeing gameplay, great looking backrounds and enemies, good weapon system, and enough lives and continues so it's not super frustating.

What do you think? Whats your favorite horizonal shmup on the Genesis or Mega Drive?

at the title screen hold A+B+C and press start. itll take you to an options menu, in there set number of lives to 0 and it will give you 99 lives per continue :P
need console mods or repairs? check my thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37236
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

by RadarScope1 Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:20 pm

SnowKitty wrote:
ott0bot wrote:I just picked this game up for 2 bucks, and being a fan of the Thunder Force series, I got addicted. I got to the final boss but ended up running out of continues. But I will beat it soon!!!! I think this is probably my favorite horizontal shmup for the Gennny. Really challengeing gameplay, great looking backrounds and enemies, good weapon system, and enough lives and continues so it's not super frustating.

at the title screen hold A+B+C and press start. itll take you to an options menu, in there set number of lives to 0 and it will give you 99 lives per continue :P

Damn. Thanks for that tip. I'm gonna drop this back in my Genesis soon now!
SnowKitty
Next-Gen

by SnowKitty Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:36 pm

RadarScope1 wrote:
SnowKitty wrote:

Damn. Thanks for that tip. I'm gonna drop this back in my Genesis soon now!

no problem. i had to use that trick to beat the game. the final boss is fuckin EPIC he takes up almost the whole screen
need console mods or repairs? check my thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37236
ott0bot
Next-Gen

by ott0bot Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:48 pm

SnowKitty wrote:

thanks! That'll be helpful to check of boss and level patterns. I want to beat in without cheats, too. I gotta keep up on my chops.

marurun wrote:I think Lightening Force (aka Thunderforce IV) is certainly one of the best. Bio Hazard Battle is also quite nice, as is Wings of Wor. Those are probably my 3 favorites.

Thanks for the suggestions I've never played either of them. I didn't realize Wings of Wor is the US version of Gynoug at first, but I kinda recognized the box art when i looked it up. Sweet I'll have to get that one. And I've always wanted to pick up bio-hazard batlle too.....
dire51

by dire51 Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:49 am

I love Thunder Force IV (I refuse to call it Lightening Force)... how Tecnosoft managed to squeeze that much goodness into one game astounds me.

I'm also a fan of TF3 and Gaiares.
Return to Shmups