2D Shooters Invade
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Shmup Of The Month 2014 Discussion

Post by ExedExes »

Calendar revealed - click here to view!

Original post behind spoiler tag.

Hi all,

It's that time of year again to decide 2014's Shmup of the Month calendar. As you all know, brunoafh now has real-life commitments that will prevent him from running this after the past couple of years, and has passed the torch on to me. Thank you for establishing and organizing it bruno.

Now then, I figure this won't be a difficult process, we all thought last year's "nominating committee" idea was the best way to handle it and I am in favor of continuing it this way.

Before we do that, there are a few things we need to discuss here.

Last year's nominating committee consisted of the following names -

ExedExes
dsheinem
Tyranix95
mjmjr25
dunpeal2064
pierrot
foxhound1022
o.pwuaioc
EllertMichael
hashirya1
noiseredux

Also, the main Together Retro calendar has Ikaruga chosen for the month of July next year. We collaborated with TR on DoDonPachi in December of 2012, and we handled the score updates on the TR thread and we discussed strategy and other finer points on the SOTM thread. I wouldn't mind doing the same for Ikaruga. That is a fine selection since we already played Radiant Silvergun. Plus, I think it would bring some people who were not aware of what we do each year over here to participate with us on the SOTM.

This year's community STGT was also a big success thanks to the efforts of mjmjr25. I agree that it brought out a few people who did not play shmups as much as us, and the in-community location made it a very big success. I wouldn't mind doing that again in 2014 and see it get even bigger.

So now, that leaves 10 months free, and we need 10 people to form this year's committee. But as of right now, we have 11. This is a pretty strong list of people. However, I also think that others who deserve to be here such as DocHauser (who joined as we were working on 2013's calendar) should have the chance to have a voice as to what they want to play.

Before we get to nominations, here are the questions I pose to the people here:

1) Will we have another community STGT in 2014? I'm aware the shmups.org STGT might make a return, but I would rather have one or the other, and I wouldn't want to have to do another late shift of the calendar like we had to this year once there was no STGT in August. I would rather keep our community STGT for November next year, if mjmjr25 would be up to doing it again. We had an excellent turnout and I would agree that we could have even more with another.

2) If we do keep the STGT, we would only need 10 names on the committee this year. Do we consider changing the active committee member list? Do we also consider active members from this year on the committee? I would like the committee to consist of people who will get me their nomination(s) in a timely manner so we do not have to wait.

3) EllertMichael brought up a point of having whoever the final committee is to put *one* game up per month. According to Noise, this was his idea, but who knows because I sure as heck don't remember :lol: While this would eliminate a long voting period and I'd like that very much, I would suggest that the one game everyone picks to be community-minded, one that could be easily sourced through MAME, console, or a good mix of both. Homura didn't do well because as Ellert pointed out, people who aren't as active as us voted it in, and only 4 scores were posted all month. It also didn't help that it was available in Japan & Europe only. Not everyone has access to imports and the equipment to play them on.

Let's discuss these 3 points here and decide what to do quickly so that we may get started on acquiring these games for next year.
Last edited by ExedExes on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup Of The Month 2014 Calendar -- Preliminary Discussi

Post by pierrot »

I'd be all right with Doc having my spot, if he nominates Twin Hawk. :P

Collaborating with TR for Ikaruga sounds fine, too.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I'm fine with whoever you guys choose to decide on games, and maybe this year I'll be able to join in a bit now I have a regular income.

Whilst I understand this isn't a nomination thread, I feel that you guys should definitely consider ProGear this year. It's one of my favourites :D

I don't know if you guys have played Lord of Thunder either, but I adore that game too :lol:
Ack

Post by Ack »

It sounds like this is being handled wonderfully.

I have no nominations, since I've never participated and don't know who all is involved. But I will continue to watch the process with interest.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

alienjesus wrote:I'm fine with whoever you guys choose to decide on games, and maybe this year I'll be able to join in a bit now I have a regular income.

Whilst I understand this isn't a nomination thread, I feel that you guys should definitely consider ProGear this year. It's one of my favourites :D

I don't know if you guys have played Lord of Thunder either, but I adore that game too :lol:

That would be great if you were able to join on some of the games we pick. My goal this year is to get more people who were not playing with us to do just that. Mjmjr's successful STGT we had last month set out and did that well with more people that I'd expect to have participated with us.

I'm a Progear fan, but that's because I'm also a huge hori fan. Cave nailed that game, as far as I'm concerned. Great theme, graphics are nice, risk/reward factor is nice. Who knows, maybe our committee might pick that.

Ack wrote:It sounds like this is being handled wonderfully.

I have no nominations, since I've never participated and don't know who all is involved. But I will continue to watch the process with interest.

It has been ran very well under brunoafh, because of the system that we determined to nominate last year. The names I have listed up there handled the nominations. They represent the most active players in the past 2 years we have done this. I'm seeing if we need to shift some names around to accommodate those who were more active this year, and if we do what we did last year (the committee names PMd their 3 picks to bruno and then we presented them all at once and voted on each group of 3, or we go with Noise/Ellert and just put one good, community minded game up there, no voting necessary).

I hope you will continue to watch too; I'd love to see more people who haven't seen the camaraderie and competition of what we've done here since 2012 firsthand, it goes on every month here, and even after the first day of Giga Wing for December, this game is gonna be a good one this month.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

ExedExes wrote:3) EllertMichael brought up a point of having whoever the final committee is to put *one* game up per month. According to Noise, this was his idea, but who knows because I sure as heck don't remember :lol: While this would eliminate a long voting period and I'd like that very much, I would suggest that the one game everyone picks to be community-minded, one that could be easily sourced through MAME, console, or a good mix of both. Homura didn't do well because as Ellert pointed out, people who aren't as active as us voted it in, and only 4 scores were posted all month. It also didn't help that it was available in Japan & Europe only. Not everyone has access to imports and the equipment to play them on.

So... this is kinda funny. Back when the committee was each selecting their three games to nominate some people used a common 'theme' to narrow down their selections. I recall Dunpeal chose NMK games, dsh chose games that would be difficult to emulate, and for whatever reason I thought it would be a fun idea to choose Korean developed shooters.

Now, I had a selection of games that were easy to emulate in MAME, but I thought back to a discussion on how people voted for games the 1st year we did this and decided to do my own little experiment. And that's why I put Homura in the list. Despite being hard to emulate people still voted it in because they were familiar with it. What I didn't bank on was how many people were familiar with the Dooyong company and were voting Blue Hawk! This left the coolest game on my list, Semicom's Baryon - Future Assault (1997) with only a SINGLE vote (I changed my vote to Blue Hawk towards the end in an effort to keep Homura from winning.)

So, in my mind, that confirms for me that people will vote for the game they are familiar with over all other factors (accessibility, ease of emulation, etc.)

However, the problem remains that both years we've done this we've had a flood of people who come for the discussion and voting process, but then disappear when it comes time to play the game that THEY VOTED FOR.

That's why I say fuck the democrazy.

Let's punish each other with a shmuptatorship. :twisted:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

So... Shmup of the month. Is this like Together Retro or Together RPG but with shmups?
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:So... Shmup of the month. Is this like Together Retro or Together RPG but with shmups?

Yes, but it has a friendly competition element mixed in with it.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Please remove my vote and replace it with someone who will nominate 8 and 16 bit shmups. (Half kidding, but really, I bow out.)

Dunpeal, with zero blame to bruno, I think part of the problem is that people had to vote for each set of nominations. So maybe if someone didn't want to play any of the three they would still vote for the one they recognized. I'm not sure a dictatorship is the best answer. I'd rather see diversity personally, but as I remove myself from voting, so too consider lightly my opinions on the matter.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

EllertMichael wrote:Let's punish each other with a shmuptatorship. :twisted:

I honestly have no problem with this, I trust our committee would pick one good game each.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:So... Shmup of the month. Is this like Together Retro or Together RPG but with shmups?

Yup! Check out this month's selection in the SOTM 2013 thread (Giga Wing) and get an idea of how we do it. The end of that thread is the current game and discussion.

o.pwuaioc wrote:Please remove my vote and replace it with someone who will nominate 8 and 16 bit shmups.

Ok o.pw, thank you for your selection of Dragon Spirit this year, and if nobody does something from those 2 "bits", I certainly will. We have to have a classic element for sure!