Progressing in Shmups, when to play a certain game?

2D Shooters Invade
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Progressing in Shmups, when to play a certain game?

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Chempop wrote:

Code: Select all

Battle Garegga (Which is advanced maybe, not expert  

Wow that's a bold statement! :shock: Have you cleared it?

I have not yet cleared it. I've been close though.

I think that, if expert is our higest category, then Battle Garegga (again, played for clear) should not be in that category. It should not be in the same category as a Ketsui 2-ALL or Pink Sweets, nor Dimahoo or Dangun Feveron. Those games are rock hard, and even though I've put more time into all four of those games, I've not been nearly as close to the end as in Garegga.

Now, scoring just throws the difficulty talk out the window. Scoring in Garegga is tough, and its toughness directly relates to how high you are trying to score, and what tricks you are going to attempt. Its very hard to compare difficulties when playing for score imo.

Would you rank it in the highest difficulty bracket Chempop? You are more experienced with the game than I am, I'd be interested to hear what you think.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

I can get to 4th boss in Garegga and haven't put a ton of time into it. I'm nowhere near as far in Pink Sweets or Ibara.

I would put it on par w/Ketsui though.

That said though - yeah, Chaz is right, when you score in Garegga the rank gets insane, I gather if I played only for clear, i'd be getting a bit further yet.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I said Ketsui 2-ALL :wink:

I agree though, its about on par with a Ketsui 1-ALL.
Chempop
16-bit

Post by Chempop »

Some random thought on the matter while I sip my afternoon coffee:

Ketsui 1-All is easier than Garegga for me.

Scoring in Garegga can make rank harder, but you can also score to make it EASIER because you can suicide more. I guess it depends on how you approach the game.

Ibara's difficulty is HIGHLY over estimated. I'd call it one of cave's easiest games.

Many experts actually call Dimahoo "Raizing's easiest clear" (which I strongly disagree with).

Pink Sweets, Psikyo 2nd Loops, Mushi/Futari Ultras, Ketsui & Pachi series 2nd Loops, etc, are all top tier expert difficulty. I agree with you that Garegga doesn't belong there.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Most of us aren't going to be referring to ultra modes or 2nd loops, though.

Just first loop, default arcade mode.

That said - Ibara, maybe if someone has dove into it, then I can see it being considered easier. I haven't dove into enough apparently, because i've yet to see stage 4.

I consider it considerably more difficult than: DDP / DDP-DOJ / Mushi / Mushi Futari 1.5 / Galuda / Galuda II / RaDe

Slightly more difficult than: Ketsui / Saidaijou / MMPork / Guwange

On par with: Feveron / Pink Sweets / Akai Katana

(i've not played much of those last 3, so it could be more or less difficult, but i'm at about the same spot in all 4 games)
Chempop
16-bit

Post by Chempop »

Interesting how certain games click faster than others, depending on play style and previous experience. As for Cave...

My fastest clears (1-All), games I know I can do again without too much trouble are:

Deathsmiles1+2, DDP, DFK1.5, Galuda, Rade, Ibara, Mushi (orig), Futari (orig) and Akai

Games that took a while that I'd need lots of practice to clear (1-All) again:

Galuda 2, DOJ, Ketsui, Mushi (maniac), Futari (maniac), Muchi Pork

Games that I haven't cleared yet:

Guwange, Pink Sweets, SDOJ

Games I haven't really tried yet:

Progear, Donpachi, Dangun
Ack

Post by Ack »

How about the 19XX series by Capcom? I figure they vary between the beginner and average SHMUP sections, but which ones fit where?
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Chempop wrote:Interesting how certain games click faster than others, depending on play style and previous experience. As for Cave...

My fastest clears (1-All), games I know I can do again without too much trouble are:

Deathsmiles1+2, DDP, DFK1.5, Galuda, Rade, Ibara, Mushi (orig), Futari (orig) and Akai

Games that took a while that I'd need lots of practice to clear (1-All) again:

Galuda 2, DOJ, Ketsui, Mushi (maniac), Futari (maniac), Muchi Pork

Games that I haven't cleared yet:

Guwange, Pink Sweets, SDOJ

Games I haven't really tried yet:

Progear, Donpachi, Dangun

My only clear is: Mushihimesama (org) yet I consider Pro Gear / Deathsmiles and DDP DFK all easier games.

I'm to the last boss in too many games, just haven't been able to stick with them, or literally haven't put the time in for whatever reason. I'm usually playing for score and not focusing on the ALL, which is why Pro Gear and Deathsmiles are still waiting to get cleared. Galuda and DDP DFK i've put time in, but am stuck on last bosses - not really close to clearing final forms on either.

Ibara seems to have significantly harder boss battles than most CAVE fare, the stages themselves (first 3 anyway) aren't brutal, it's the bosses, patterns are so tight - just need more time i'm sure...
Aramonde
128-bit

Post by Aramonde »

Sorry for the super noob question, but what does 1CC mean?
Last edited by Aramonde on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Aramonde wrote:what does 1CC mean?

1 credit clear. It means beating the game without losing a credit/life, which often translates to beating a SHMUP without getting hit.