Which Toaplan games do you recommend?

2D Shooters Invade
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Which Toaplan games do you recommend?

Post by Erik_Twice »

Make suggestions and explain why! :D

EDIT: I haven't really played any beyond Truxton (Liked it) and a bit of V-Five (Found very dull) so I don't have any suggestions myself.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Which Toaplan games do you recommend?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Well since you live in Europe you gotta check out Zero Wing.

The dialogue is outstanding.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Since you loved Truxton, give Truxton 2 a go. It is similar but very different and coop.

Hellfire is a good hori, it is the game they made after Truxton and has a very interesting powerup mechanic. Your different colour powerup changes what direction you shoot in.

Batsugun is arguably their best game. It is the first of the manic shooters and is pretty much the frame work for Donpachi.

Snow bros is fun if you want a Bubble Bobble like coop platformer.

Personally, Truxton is my favorite, followed closely by Batsugun.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

fastbilly1 wrote:Since you loved Truxton, give Truxton 2 a go. It is similar but very different and coop.

Isn't it horribly difficult? I read an interview and the designers said they couldn't clear it themselves!
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I'm not too familiar with Toaplan outside of the awesome Truxton, but I had a bit of fun with the NES conversion of Tiger Heli. Of course Zero Wing is a must. It's a bit of a letdown if you compare it to the other Toaplan shooters, but it's a must-play due to its Internet Notoriety.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Flying Shark & Fire Shark
Truxton I OR II (yes, there's a sequel)
Tiger Heli
Twin Cobra
Hell Fire
Out Zone/Fix Eight (not shmups, more like vertical run n guns, but good Toaplan stuff)
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

V-V, because its the best Toa...

General_Norris wrote: a bit of V-Five (Found very dull).

... oh. Well, in that case.

Hishouzame (Also known as Flying Shark and Sky Shark, I prefer this version)

Fire Shark (Same Same Same! is harder as 1p, easier as 2p, may as well go with this one as its the middleground)

Kyukyoku Tiger (Play this, not the localized Twin Cobra)

These 3 are greats, some of the best oldschool shooters ever crafted. This is the real Toaplan, stuff like Batsugun and Dogyuun were them changing into what would become Cave

Dogyuun (As said, not traditional, but interesting enough to warrant play)
Outzone (Not a shmup, but awesome)

I don't like Batsugun. Too easy when not playing for score, too boss-milky when playing for score. Most people seem to like it (and hate V-V, such a backwards world), so check it out. There is a regular and Special version, special version is a tad easier but loops 4 times... and you'll probably get to loop 2 in your first few plays.

Tatsujin Oh (Truxton 2) is terrible, don't listen to Exed and fast :P It might be worth checking out once you have given their good games a go, but the 7 minute long stage 1 with almost nothing happening it torture. Then you die in stage 2, and get to experience the joy of terrible checkpoints. Seriously, some of the worst checkpoints I have seen in a game. It is beautiful and has good music, but the design in the game is shit.
Last edited by dunpeal2064 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Tatsujin Oh (Truxton 2) is terrible, don't listen to Exed and fast :P It might be worth checking out once you have given their good games a go, but the 7 minute long stage 1 with almost nothing happening it torture. Then you die in stage 2, and get to experience the joy of terrible checkpoints. Seriously, some of the worst checkpoints I have seen in a game. It is beautiful and has good music, but the design in the game is shit.

Treat Truxton 2 as a coop game, dont play it alone. Then checkpoints dont matter and the game is a hoot. I have soloed it, but it is infinitely better in coop.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Solo'd it as in 1cc? If so, that is insanely impressive

I based my suggestions off of having followed Norris' grind towards getting the Gradius II 1cc, so I was only considering these games being played 1p, 1 credit, as I assumed that is how he is going to approach them.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

ExedExes wrote:Flying Shark & Fire Shark
Truxton I AND II (of course there's a sequel)
Tiger Heli
Twin Cobra
Hell Fire
Out Zone/Fix Eight (not shmups, more like vertical run n guns, but good Toaplan stuff)

Fixed that for you. ;)
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|