2D Shooters Invade
DocHauser
128-bit

Re: Your 1CC's - Post 'em here.

by DocHauser Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:53 pm

Heh. I'd say I'm still fairly average! Bad news is that I just started a new job, so my shmupping time is going to be severely limited from now on. :(
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:12 pm

Did something new on Hyperzone (SNES) today - a double loop clear.

I've already mastered it down to the point where I can pass the point threshold to get a new ship on every new level without having to wait another level to get the points needed. The game also lets you start again, but with the same ship you had when you finished the game. That means more points with a faster charge shot. I never attemped a double loop because after you get all the new ships, you no longer get the extends associated with them. I had enough lives, and I did it.

It's a little over 300K for each loop with optimal play. I had 2 lives, maybe could have done a 3rd loop, but I can always try that again another time.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:07 am

Two more 1CCs, back-to-back this time. :)

eXceed 1st - Gun Bullet Children - Not the greatest game in the world. It's still pretty amateurish compared to the other two eXceed games. I hadn't actually played it before (aside from maybe one credit to see if it worked ok), so I tried it on Easy and cleared it on my first attempt. Might give it a try on Normal, but there are better games to play...

XOP Black Ultra - Original/Arcade/Medium clear. Pretty much a blind clear, since I have tried playing it before but something messed up the colours on-screen. Switching it from fullscreen to windowed fixed that problem. Didn't actually know how many levels there were, so when I'd bomb-spammed what seemed like the final boss, it turned out there was another boss after that. Still had one bomb left, and it wasn't too hard anyway. Decent game, though. Might try the harder difficulties and also see how you're supposed to score, as mine was pretty low. :)
Chempop
16-bit

by Chempop Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:16 am

I just finished my 7 week summer gig so now i can finally play some games again.
Got batrider on thursday and got the normal course 1CC on my first day playing 8)
Has been over 4 years iirc since I last played it, and back then I didn’t know anything about the hidden bosses or anything, good stuff!
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:20 am

Recent 1CCs...

QP Shooting Dangerous (Easy) - Not a bad game, this. I was trying to think what game it reminded me of, and it was the 4th boss that made me think of Flying Red Barrel. Indeed, this was made by the same developer. The cutesy anime girls will make most people instantly compare it to Touhou, but it doesn't really play like Touhou. The option switching is quite Raizing-esque, in fact. You can earn cash and use it to buy different option formations, but you can only select 3 formations per game. It provides a decent amount of strategy and replay value, as you're switching out various formations and seeing which ones are better for survival/scoring. I'm currently 27th in the global ranking with my clear on easy. I think the table lumps all difficulties together, so I guess it's possible to score more highly on Normal and Hard.

Deathsmiles and Jamestown - for the recent STGT. Cleared both of them before, but managed a new PB in DS. I should try DS MBL label now, I guess, as that's playable on recent versions of MAME too.

During the recent doujin STGT in shmups forum:

Demolition Gunner and Sonic Ironstorm - not actually in the competition, but they were options in the voting process, so I tried them out and cleared both of them. They're both fast, short, and fun games, with different modes and branching to provide replay value.

http://youtu.be/RFapdNV-QTo

http://youtu.be/dhtI8o85Mi4

Twin Tiger Shark

Nicely made Flying Shark clone. Beat it on Easy and Hard, a 2-ALL on Easy, and 12th in the online ranking.

http://youtu.be/XcH4_0aRecg
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:16 pm

Almost forgot my Deathsmiles 1cc during November's STGT; the first and only Cave game I'll probably ever see the end of.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:47 pm

1CC of Hitogata Happa on Euridice Mode (in both standard mission and solo voyage).

Euridice is easy difficulty, which I've cleared before, but this time I unlocked the TLB, and got a decent ranking in the online leaderboard:

mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:58 pm

Impressive on Hitogata. I'm not sure what mode I played but I can only get to stage 3.

The Flying Shark clone - where did you play that at? I see you mention online rankings - is it Steam or PSN per chance?
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:18 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:Impressive on Hitogata. I'm not sure what mode I played but I can only get to stage 3.

The Flying Shark clone - where did you play that at? I see you mention online rankings - is it Steam or PSN per chance?

You can download the PC (or Mac) version for free now!

http://mix256.itch.io/twin-tiger-shark

It was also available for XBox360 and Ouya (maybe something else as well). The online table (which I placed 12th on when I beat it, not sure where I am now) actually combines scores from the XBox and PC, which is kinda cool.
Chempop
16-bit

by Chempop Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:33 pm

After a very long week of teaching I now have recovered enough to play some shmups. Gave Sonic Wings 3 a whirl on the MVS 120-in-1 (note: I’m told it’s glitchy on the 161-in-1), and was surprised to see how much I enjoyed it. Great music, cool looking details in the backgrounds, and funky characters (I mainly used the Vikings, but some of the other ships seem just horrible). Gave it a few more attempts the next day and got a dirty 1ALL. Darn 2-1 boss surprised the heck out of me, instead of a giant slow tank like in the first loop, it’s a tiny little one that buzzes around the screen :lol:

I am more of a Psikyo fan, but I can get used to the yoko format even if I feel it’s too cramped for a game with fast bullets. I had only played Sonic Wings Special (saturn), which of course is tate like the “Limited” PCB.

There are a number of strange MVS shooters I’m slowly discovering, I’ve never played any NMK games until trying Zed Blade the other day, maybe I’ll play that next.
Return to Shmups