2D Shooters Invade
LoneCynic
32-bit

Xbox 360 SHMUP Retail Releases Checklist

by LoneCynic Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:49 pm

Hey everyone, I see that the old thread has still been floating on the forum for the past 3 years with updates from myself and a forum moderator. Now that we are nearing the end of the Xbox 360's run, I wanted to make a new thread with an updated, comprehensive list of what was out there on the retail disc side of things only for people wanting to round out their collections. I have collected a bunch of them myself, and can confirm region free compatibility with Region 1 consoles on the titles listed as such. If not tagged Region Free, then that title will only work with a console from that region. Here is the updated list:

North American Version Shooters:
-Akai Katana
-DeathSmiles
-Raiden Fighters Aces
-Raiden IV
-Otomedius (2): Excellent

European Version Shooters:
-Akai Katana
-DeathSmiles
-Dodonpachi (4): Resurrection Deluxe Edition (Same game as DaiFukkatsu) (Region Free)

Japanese Version Shooters:
-Akai Katana Shin
-Bullet Soul (Region Free)
-Caladrius
-DeathSmiles
-DeathSmiles II X
-Dodonpachi (3): DaiOuJou - Black Label Extra
-Dodonpachi (4): DaiFukkatsu Version 1.5
-Dodonpachi (4): DaiFukkatsu - Black Label
-Dodonpachi (5): SaiDaiOuJou (Region Free)
-Eschatos (Region Free)
-Ginga Force (Region Free)
-EspGaluda II - Black Label (Region Free)
-Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra
-Mamoru-Kun
-Muchi Muchi Pork! / (Ibara II): Pink Sweets (Region Free)
-Mushihimesama HD
-Mushihimesama (2): Futari Version 1.5 (Region Free)
-Otomedius: Gorgeous
-Otomedius (2): Excellent
-Radirgy NOA Massive
-Raiden Fighters Aces
-Raiden IV
-Shikigami No Shiro III
-Shooting 200X (TriZeal/ExZeal)
-Shooting 10th Anniversary (XIIZeal/DeltaZeal) (Region Free)
-Under Defeat HD

*One more for the complete collector: The Japanese title "Instant Brain" is an investigation style game where you choose text options to figure out a mystery. I am mentioning it here because upon completion of the game, you unlock a fully playable version Dodonpachi (2) with its own achievements, and it also has a Kinect Mode as an additional option.
Last edited by LoneCynic on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Xbox 360 SHMUP Retail Releases Checklist

by noiseredux Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:51 pm

LoneCynic wrote:-Eschatos II: Ginga Force (Region Free)

^this isn't Eschatos II, it's Eschatos AND Ginga Force - two games on one disc.
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:55 pm

No, there are two separate releases. Eschatos and Ginga Force, its sequel. There is now a two pack available with both games in one, but I assure you, they were released individually first because I have the individual releases of both games.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:58 pm

LoneCynic wrote:No, there are two separate releases. Eschatos and Ginga Force, its sequel. There is now a two pack available with both games in one, but I assure you, they were released individually first because I have the individual releases of both games.

Yes, I know.

There's a stand-alone release of Eschatoes.

There's a stand-alone release of Ginga Force.

And there's a disc with both Eschatoes and Ginga Force.

But you put Eschatoes II... I don't know of a game called Eschatoes II.

But I might be getting confused because you've added roman numerals to the end of some games that don't have those roman numerals in their titles.
LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Okay, the roman numerals are there for reference to newcomers who may not know what is what or in what order the games go. I mean, this is really semantics isn't it? Is Super Mario World Super Mario Brothers 4? Is Red Dead Redemption the sequel to Red Dead Revolver? Is the Movie Rocky Balboa still technically Rocky VI in terms of the overall series? If you were introducing someone new to Indiana Jones and they wanted to know what order to watch the movies in, would you not label them 1-4 for reference sake? These games all have Japanese text all over them, I'm just trying to simplify things to make it easy to tell what is what for would be collectors. So, no, Ginga Force does NOT say "Exchatos II" on the packaging, but it is that game's sequel, so I marked it as such for ease of reference.

What if someone disliked Eschatos, and didn't want to invest in another game that played similar to it? What if someone didn't want to purchase 3 copies of Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu? Between the version 1.5, Black Label and PAL translation of Resurrection, if they were not informed, they might drop heavy money and end up disappointed when they realized they'd purchased multiple versions of the same game thinking they were different titles.

Not everyone is as keyed in as you an I are to what's what with these games. With it being a dying genre overall, we need new blood to have interest in these types of games. I'm trying to make it easy for would be importers/collectors that might be confused or overwhelmed see exactly what is available.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:16 pm

I wasn't trying to give you a hard time or anything. I'm obviously not as "keyed in" as you'd suggest, as I didn't know that Ginga Force was a sequel to Eschatoes. Pointing out the roman numerals wasn't to say you did something wrong, but just to point out why I may have gotten confused.

Anyway, all I originally meant to say was that there is an Eschatoes/Ginga Force double-pack, that is Region Free and I don't see it on the list unless I'm missing it. (This is the version of those games that I have).
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:18 pm

LoneCynic wrote:Is Super Mario World Super Mario Brothers 4?

Yes.

LoneCynic
32-bit

by LoneCynic Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Well, for the sake of not rocking the boat and filling this thread up with needless debate, I edited the first post to have additional reference notes in (Series Reference Number) parenthesis to avoid any further confusion on the matter.

There are a few of those multi-packs out now. There is one for Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu with both versions in one, and the aforementioned Eschatos/ Ginga Force two pack. There may be others now too, it has been a few weeks since I last looked. I'll not mention them on the main list, because I think that may add additional confusion, but I'll look into it and maybe add a footnote about those releases soon.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

by ZenErik Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:10 pm

The DoDonPachi games don't need numbers either. But if you absolutely must number everything, well, it should probably be called the DonPachi series. No 'Do'. ;)

As follows:
DonPachi 3: DoDonPachi DaiOuJoi

Seems a bit ridiculous though... And there is an actual 'DoDonPachi II' that most people don't speak of. Probably for good reason. It was not developed by CAVE.

Either way, thanks for the list.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:29 pm

I have all JP releases. I'll post a pic later for a 'visual' checklist.
Return to Shmups