2D Shooters Invade
jinx
Next-Gen

Re: Bosconian High Score thread

by jinx Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:27 am

Loooooove this game. Our old Donut shop used to have one of these cabs next to Galaga, but it was always broken.

Right now I have it on a plug and play, but it feels a bit wonky. I may see if I can get a version running on my PSP so I can play while at work.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Improved my high score and made it to round 9. Still haven't caught up to Exes. Does anyone else want to play? This game is pretty awesome. but I ended up hitting a wall much sooner than I thought I would :lol:
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:05 pm

If this thread didn't get bumped, I would not have went back to it, but I am glad I did.

ExedExes - 221,490 - Round 12 - NM50 (GC)

I didn't lose a life until Round 10, where I lost 4 :lol: It gets really hard then.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Impressive. :twisted:
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Improved my score a bit. I'm glad I started practicing this game. I've been playing RPGs so much lately, I need to keep working on my arcade skills.
Despatche

by Despatche Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:54 am

There's also an X68000 version, which is a spot-on port plus an arrange mode with new levels. Not sure if you want to treat the port as separate, or if you want to keep a board for the arrange mode, etc.

Despatche - 166,760 - Round 10 - ShmupMAME v3.0b

I'd say I'm a fan of Bosconian... not very good at it though! Never really understood why people always look at this and Gaplus like they're "lesser" than Galaga. Never really understood why people see Rally-X as a "poor man's Pac-Man" either.

You guys should try Sinistar if you haven't, I'm sure that game was directly inspired by Bosconian. I also recommend ZugyA (specifically ZugyA DX), it's like Bosconian meets Chourensha 68K or something. But the Bosconian remake you're looking for is Kobo Deluxe.
Despatche

by Despatche Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:10 am

Well, I'm rediscovering things about the game! To get the no miss bonuses you have to set the game to Auto difficulty, so NM50 probably does that... I wonder if NM1 does too. Note that both the Japanese Namco and the US Midway flyers suggest that difficulty A (medium) is the default.

Those same flyers also suggest that default extends are 20000/70000/every 70000. MAME always had the difficulty right, but the extend settings were 10000/50000/every 50000 until what looks to be v0.133u1, which was back in 2009 I think. I just made a slightly better score with difficulty A and 10000/50000/every 50000, but I think I'm just going to restart my personal listing and play with the tougher extends.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:10 pm

Are you sure? The scores won't be comparable then.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:00 am

Despite its awesomeness Bosconian is the progenitor of gaming's first tragedy: Continues.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:23 pm

Bumping this to mention that this is one of the games we're doing for the 2016 Yolympics ending on Monday. I managed to get this awesome score, the best I ever did. It won't count for this thread because we're doing this with 5 lives ONLY (no extends).

392,700 on Round 18! I cheated death way too many times.

Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Return to Shmups