2D Shooters Invade
ott0bot
Next-Gen

by ott0bot Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:51 pm

I think the 16 and 32 bit era had the best shooters. Thye usually have a better replay value because of added features and bonus levels. The 8-bit games are usually to easy or way too hard, and newer games just seem to lack the gameplay. Although the PS2 had a few gems (Castle Shikigami 2, R-Type Final and Gradius V for example) There are some good imports too, but we really don't get many US releases.

If you want a total screen filled bullet experience that will give more WTF moments than anything on earth try Mars Matrix. Yes, it's insanely hard too, even on easy. But, you earn points and buy extra continues or ship stocks, plus upgrades and bonus levels. It's terribly addicting, and I still haven't beat it.

And everyone sucks at first, then all the sudden you'll be pulling off stuff you never thought was possible and you'll feel proud.
Shvalt
8-bit

by Shvalt Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:57 am

Yep, just recently gettng insanely addicted to ikaruga, although i cant get past the level 2 boss... on easy.
Even on other shooter, like zero wing, which i have been told by others is one of the easiest shmups i still get pwned in the first level.

But despite my badness the 2d shmup genre is still my favourite (or at least one of my favourite) types of game out there.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:25 pm

Shvalt wrote:Even on other shooter, like zero wing, which i have been told by others is one of the easiest shmups i still get pwned in the first level.

Maybe somebody set you up the bomb...

What? Someone had to do it...
Ivo.
Shvalt
8-bit

by Shvalt Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:43 pm

Yeah, that game had the funniest text ever.
Strangely enough, that was actually the reason i first played the game. I stumbled upon all that All Your Base stuff on the internet.
shallowgamer
128-bit

by shallowgamer Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:52 am

If you're looking for a very satisfying shmup experience, get your hands on Gates of Thunder for the TurboDuo. It is well balanced; it actually gives you a snowball's chance of progressing without constantly having to continue. I can't say enough good things about it. When you've beat it on normal, turn it to Devil and play what feels like a whole new experience.

I've always commended the Gradius series for not relying on a 500 bullet pattern to kill you off as well. My only beef with the series is how they choose to stop the action when you die and return you to a checkpoint.

I was also impressed with Last Hope for the Dreamcast. Yes, it's an R-Type rip off, but it's much better than R-Type ever was. Having said that, I'm going to go hide from all of you.
Shvalt
8-bit

by Shvalt Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:48 am

I seem to actually be getting better at shmups at the moment, i've beaten Trigger Heart Exelica without throwinhg my controller through the window and, (dramatic music plays) I got to level four on ikaruga! *does little dance*
Return to Shmups