2D Shooters Invade
SiW
8-bit

Anyone else bad at shooters..

by SiW Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:54 pm

..but love them anyway?

Despite the fact that I don't think I've ever single-credited any shooter, I continue to buy them. There's just something so pure about the genre, it's like 100% game or something. Plus as I get older and my gaming time is limited, I appreciate being able to go through an entire game in under an hour.

Am I alone?
philipofmacedon
32-bit

by philipofmacedon Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:26 am

Everything you said describes me.

I used to love RPGs but now I'm bored by them and have discovered shmups. In the case of RPGs and Shmups there is an inverse proportion between skill and time required. The fact that RPGs tend to be both easy and take 40+ hours just doesn't fit with my life anymore. But shmups, on the other hand, they give me immediate maniac action without the slightest bit of padding. Even though I totally blow, I love them.

Pure is the correct term for the genre. My mother is a math teacher; whenever she saw me playing shmups she always commented on the patterns assumed by the bullets. It really is quite neat and beautiful when you think about it.
SiW
8-bit

by SiW Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:31 am

Yes, shooters really are the antithesis of RPGs, aren't they?

Another reason they resonate with me is probably nostalgia; the simple mechanics take me back to the arcades of my youth.
Perseid
32-bit

by Perseid Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:22 am

A lot of shooters, especially recent ones, are speficially catered to thesmall, hardcore shmup audience and are deliberately brutally difficult. I used to be good at some of the Amiga shooters, but some of those recent Japanese games I play for a few minutes, get hopelessly slaughtered, say "WTF?" and play something else.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:41 am

Perseid wrote:I used to be good at some of the Amiga shooters, but some of those recent Japanese games I play for a few minutes, get hopelessly slaughtered, say "WTF?" and play something else.

Project X was (is) stupidly hard though. I only knew they made a sequel for the PS1 (also stupid hard) and it got a japanese release - get this, the japanese release was tweaked to be slightly easier, allegedly :)

http://www.dream17.co.uk/softography.php?id=72

But what you say is true, Amiga shooters are typically more reasonable than the more recent hardcore ones. And there's some nice ones as well, I used to play Blood Money, Hibrys (don't remember the spelling, but I think it means "challenge" in greek) and Battle Squadron.
marurun

by marurun Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:53 am

In general, older shooters are a little more reasonable than the new breed.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jubal
64-bit

by Jubal Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:50 pm

I am a horrible shmup player, but the are pure gaming and I am addicted.

I know this destructoid article has been talked about on these forums before, but it directly addresses this topic

http://www.destructoid.com/real-men-pla ... 8920.phtml
ubelaffe
64-bit

by ubelaffe Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:05 pm

I'm the worst at fps, but I'm still no good at regular ol' 2d shooters. I like some for nostalgia mostly, and the occasional wild hare to play a newer one like zero gunner or ikaruga...something of that sort. I'm just better with other genres, either from experience or enjoyment in the other groups...
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:16 pm

I find that a few of the genres that I love are ones I'm generally not that great at, like 2-d fighters and beat'em ups. I mean I've never been a combo master in 2-d fighters, and I can rarely finish a beat'em up without dying a few times. Still, I find these games incredibly fun.

That being said, I've played very few 2-d shooters in my life, but I have recently been getting more interested in the genre through my recently renewed interest in the Saturn.

It seems inevitable when you start looking for great Saturn games to play, you're going to end up playing a shmup or two. I've been putting some time into Radiant Silvergun, and although I get killed rather frequently, I do occasionally find myself pulling off feats of skill in that game that I didn't think myself capable of.

It's fun when a game gives you that feeling. I find that with Radiant Silvergun, the game is more enjoyable if you worry more about the journey then the destination. If I simply wanted to play the game and beat it in a week, I probably would hate Radiant Silvergun. Instead, I'm just patting myself on the back for every small accomplishment, and it's made the game much more enjoyable for me.
baphomet_irl
128-bit

by baphomet_irl Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:29 pm

yes I have to say, im pretty crap at 2d fighters and shmups, but I still by everyone I see - especially KOF stuff (which I am really crap at) - I dunno, I think I just really like the hardcoreness of the games even if theyre far too hardcore for me to be any good at lol
Return to Shmups