2D Shooters Invade
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Castle of Shikigami II)

by pierrot Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:34 pm

I've been playing the DC version, so I have no idea about the translation, but the first boss asks Kim and Kotaro if they'd like to find out what she has under her clothes.

As far as the ranking, I don't really know what triggers the better rankings, but I've seen five so far. I don't think they mean too much, though, as hashiriya has been kicking my ass score-wise, and getting lower ranks. I haven't noticed any difference in bullet patterns from higher ranks or anything like that, either.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

by ZenErik Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:36 pm

SotMC has re-invigorated my shmup interest. Ordered some US versions of shmups. Don't feel like importing as much at the moment. Though I just received ESPgaluda II for my Xbox 360 and Radirgy Noa for the Wii. Both imports.. :P

Anyway, ordered Under Defeat HD (PS3), Castle Shikigami 2 (PS2), Castle of Shikigami 3 (Wii), and Ultimate Shooting Collection (Wii). :)
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:36 pm

So the higher the better, then? I was getting worried by all you guys getting rank 1 (like #1!) and I was worried that my rank 6 was pitiful.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Oh, I don't know. I didn't realize that the PS2 version has the ranks as numbers until you mentioned it, so I have no idea what they correlate to in the rankings on the other versions. Rank 6 sounds good, anyway....
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:41 pm

pierrot wrote:I've been playing the DC version, so I have no idea about the translation, but the first boss asks Kim and Kotaro if they'd like to find out what she has under her clothes.

As far as the ranking, I don't really know what triggers the better rankings, but I've seen five so far. I don't think they mean too much, though, as hashiriya has been kicking my ass score-wise, and getting lower ranks. I haven't noticed any difference in bullet patterns from higher ranks or anything like that, either.

That's funny! Something was lost on the translation .
The instruction manual doesn't break down the ranks, so I have no idea.

Found a bit of time before work.

hashiriya1 - 1,701,384,140 - Stage 3-2 - Koutarou - PS2-J

pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:44 pm

hashiriya1 wrote:That's funny! Something was lost on the translation .

I meant that's what she says in the Japanese version. I'm only assuming she says something similar in the western releases.

Nice score, also. I have a feeling you an dunpeal might run away with this one.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:47 pm

pierrot wrote:

I meant that's what she says in the Japanese version.

Edit: I'm sorry. I had the cutscenes disabled so I didn't see the dialogue before the fight.
That's funny. What's funnier is that after he rejects her offer of getting naked, she asks him if he is gay. :lol:
Then he says "I like girls, but, I have priorities!"

Yeah, this game is more entertaining with the cutscenes.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:26 pm

hashiriya1 wrote:
pierrot wrote:

I meant that's what she says in the Japanese version.

Edit: I'm sorry. I had the cutscenes disabled so I didn't see the dialogue before the fight.
That's funny. What's funnier is that after he rejects her offer of getting naked, she asks him if he is gay. :lol:
Then he says "I like girls, but, I have priorities!"

Yeah, this game is more entertaining with the cutscenes.

Yeah. Actually, aside from being the next best scoring character for me, Sasuke's scenes are pretty funny, if only for the racist, yet subtle, foreign accent. I don't think I've ever heard a ninja with a western accent before this game. :lol:
skate323k137
Next-Gen

by skate323k137 Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Looks like I need to work on scoring. Getting to stage 4-2 wasn't too bad, but I had practiced 3-1 a lot some years back. Last time I played this game a lot my focus was more on survival than scoring. I'll probably fire this back up after work tonight.

ZenErik wrote:SotMC has re-invigorated my shmup interest. Ordered some US versions of shmups. Don't feel like importing as much at the moment. Though I just received ESPgaluda II for my Xbox 360 and Radirgy Noa for the Wii. Both imports.. :P

Anyway, ordered Under Defeat HD (PS3), Castle Shikigami 2 (PS2), Castle of Shikigami 3 (Wii), and Ultimate Shooting Collection (Wii). :)

So jealous of ESPgaluda II, that's next on my to-buy list. ESPgaluda is definitely in my top 5 favorite shmups.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:56 pm

hashiriya1 wrote:Yeah, this game is more entertaining with the cutscenes.

I try to tell people this when they spout "Oh no, I don't play any games that were translated poorly, it totally ruins it". Its a shmup, and if it were "translated properly", I probably would not care one bit for it.

There is a pretty awesome HG101 article on the Shikigami series, and it points out that the translation is pretty spot on, that the Japanese dialog was just as confusing and nonsensical. The only thing XS did was to be overly-literal in their translation, which made it all the more awesome.

@Ivo (Or anyone having trouble with stage 3): I could make a video of how to fairly safely tackle stage 3-1. It was the first "shmup wall" I ever ran into, over a year ago, and I have a fairly safe way to get through it, although I do drop a bomb occasionally if things get out of hand.
Return to Shmups