2D Shooters Invade
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Castle of Shikigami II)

by ZenErik Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:51 am

My extend life always only has 3 bombs. I usually have not used any bombs by then so it seems better to take the extra bomb and just not die up until then? Maybe? Not sure.

Having a lot of fun with this game. Just did a quick run before work with that main character. His scoring is much much higher than everyone else I have tried so far. I get a ridiculous amount of x8's just by using the shikigami attack 90% of the time.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:24 am

ZenErik wrote:My extend life always only has 3 bombs. I usually have not used any bombs by then so it seems better to take the extra bomb and just not die up until then? Maybe? Not sure.

Not sure... I'm still a bit fuzzy on this part. I generally don't bomb (forget to do so) until I'm down to one life and in a panic.

Having a lot of fun with this game. Just did a quick run before work with that main character. His scoring is much much higher than everyone else I have tried so far. I get a ridiculous amount of x8's just by using the shikigami attack 90% of the time.

I haven't tried using him yet -- jumping between Fumiko, Sayo and Kim. Eventually I'll try everyone though. I also tend to overlook using Shikigami Attacks most of the time...
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:56 am

o.pwuaioc wrote:If there's not a thread, start one and I'll join in on that too.

Will do!

hashiriya1 wrote:Just an FYI, the flyer posted in the OP calls it the "Tension Bonus System". The PS2 manual says this, too. :wink:

The sources I used are a lie! In all honesty, the writeup was a bit short because I couldn't get all that much information on this game. The more obscure, the better? :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:28 pm

You share bombs amongst lives, so if you empty your bombs and die, you'll only get 1 bomb back, as you get a bomb for each death, and with each extend.

Also, you can't extend past 3 lives. So, they don't really let you stack resources like a lot of shooters do.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Here's my very first foray. I'm not sure I'm digging this game too much, but it's alright, I guess. I think I shouldn't worry too much about bullet grazing, because I tend to forget about bombing in that case.

o.pwuaioc - 331,426,090 - Stage 2-2 - Hyuga-2 - PS2

2) Trying to play for score with anything other than Type 1 Kotaro is an exercise in futility

Guess I know who to play with next time.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:30 pm

This is pretty much what I feel about scoring in this game:

-Select Type 1 Kotaro
-Kill everything with hold shot
-Kill everything with x8 multiplier
-????
-Profit

I had some minor success with Sasuke Roger and his type 1 Shikigami; It completely destroys bosses, and has some delay, so it's easy to let it go and position yourself near some bullets for the x8 bonus. (Also incredibly easy to go flying into bullets because of his speed.)

Killing things with hold shot seems to yield significantly more coins (varying by multiplier) which in turn makes it easier to get to the 10,000 coin multiplier. Also, grazing bullets while in hold shot seems to give you the coin bonus with multipliers. The only character that seems to be able to consistently take advantage of the scoring is Kotaro. I have absolutely no idea how other characters are supposed to keep up with scoring. Especially considering that some of them can't move with their hold shots.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

by ZenErik Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Yea, it's certainly easier to score with him. But at the same time I like how each character can be so different. Changes the feel of the game quite a bit. Not very balanced but still quite enjoyable.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:46 pm

ZenErik wrote:Yea, it's certainly easier to score with him. But at the same time I like how each character can be so different. Changes the feel of the game quite a bit. Not very balanced but still quite enjoyable.

:lol:
I find it really irksome that they have all the different characters and types, and only one (two?) of them seems to be made for the actual game. The best I could figure it would be that they wanted to have a story told through multiple characters, but couldn't figure out how to balance them while keeping them unique enough.

I like the game for the most part, but the character 'selection' thing is bothering me.

On a side note, I'm also curious why the 1-2 boss is so eager to show people what's under her cloths.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:48 pm

pierrot wrote:I find it really irksome that they have all the different characters and types, and only one (two?) of them seems to be made for the actual game. The best I could figure it would be that they wanted to have a story told through multiple characters, but couldn't figure out how to balance them while keeping them unique enough.

One could always play for the story and awesomeness and less for the points.

On a side note, I'm also curious why the 1-2 boss is so eager to show people what's under her cloths.

Japan. Because that's why.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:54 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:One could always play for the story and awesomeness and less for the points..

That's very true. At this point that's about the only reason I can see to use the other characters, unfortunately. I'm thinking about looking up some superplays, just to see if there's actually anyone out there who uses anyone other than Kotaro, and see what he's doing.

I've actually chuckled a couple times (genuinely) at the dialogue, so maybe it's not a complete waste of time to play for the story.
Return to Shmups