2D Shooters Invade
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Dragon Spirit)

by dunpeal2064 Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:17 pm

Sweet! I'll shoot some PP your way for it :)

I'll fire up Mame and give this a go tonight. Without auto-fire, I have a feeling I'll get crushed thogh
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:21 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:^Nice! I'm going to try to do the same tomorrow. I'm thoroughly impressed though that you lost no lives on level 7. Now it's time to beat the arcade version. :twisted:

Also, are you going to play the PCE version on a PCE itself, or on Wii?

I emulate PCE using TurboEngine, which is based off the same codebase as Kega Fusion. It runs the cards and CDs perfectly. I'm playing the TG16 version.

mjmjr25 wrote:355,980 - mjmjr25 - ALL - NES

Damn. I thought I farmed enough. :P I ended up getting a lot of those white score-up items (5k each) when I lost all those lives in Area 9. But, you need a month to shine and take the high score in something. Congrats. :)

Got NM50 today for GC, so I'll be playing it there as well as returning with hopefully better scores on that and PCE later.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:30 am

Wow, the difference from NES to GCN (arcade) version is night and day. After (5) runs, here's what i'm seeing:

-Runs are much faster
-Power up and keeping them is even more important
-Dragon hitbox is larger, from the wing of the shoulder across to the other should, and from nose to near the end of the tail. I like this in that it is more defined, but that is a huge hitbox and a whole lot more bullets.
-Ground shooting is MUCH MORE precise (and difficult)
-Powerups don't float around as long, gotta get 'em or they're gone
-No layover between stages
-There are some super cool powerups not in the NES version
-Bosses are faster
-It doesn't have the shot delay, meaning if you have an enemy an inch in front of you, you can get your shot out in time, in the NES version, you need at least 1.5" or more to safely get a shot off.
-NO TURBO, which combined with the extra enemies and bullets, makes this game feel much faster and manic.
-You can start at any area you want - i'm not sure what it means, if you start on area 9 and beat the stage, not sure if the game is over, or if it goes to level 1 after that. In any case, I recommend starting Area 1 each time as that "should" be your best bet for score.

If you found the NES port slow and "too old school", I recommend grabbing the GCN version (or comparable), it is quite fun, and difficult.

Best after 5 runs:
68,850 - mjmjr25 - Area 3 - GCN (Arcade, default settings)
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:31 am

mjmjr25 wrote:-Powerups don't float around as long, gotta get 'em or they're gone

Yeah, one thing I find a bit annoying in the arcade version is that sometimes you shoot the red egg on the ground and the fire power-up will immediately drift off the side of the screen, giving you almost no chance to collect it.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:07 pm

A "Spirit"ed Day

I got Namco Museum 50th Anniversary yesterday for the Gamecube, and after about an hour, I could NOT get used to playing with a regular controller. I tried the analog and the d-pad but the latter was far worse. (but I dig the 80s music on the menu screens!) so I went and played it in MAME with my trusty laptop keyboard. Finally got past Area 3!

ExedExes - 102,800 - Area 4 - MAME

That doesn't mean I won't try it again on NM, but if I can't even get to the Area 2 boss, something's wrong.

I also played the PCE port. All that NES experience must be carrying over well, but so close to 100K!

ExedExes - 99,990 (haha) - Area 4 - PCE

I'm giving the games a break today, making my monthly arcade run to do shmups older than this one :lol:
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:37 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:Wow, the difference from NES to GCN (arcade) version is night and day. After (5) runs, here's what i'm seeing:

-Runs are much faster
-Power up and keeping them is even more important
-Dragon hitbox is larger, from the wing of the shoulder across to the other should, and from nose to near the end of the tail. I like this in that it is more defined, but that is a huge hitbox and a whole lot more bullets.
-Ground shooting is MUCH MORE precise (and difficult)
-Powerups don't float around as long, gotta get 'em or they're gone
-No layover between stages
-There are some super cool powerups not in the NES version
-Bosses are faster
-It doesn't have the shot delay, meaning if you have an enemy an inch in front of you, you can get your shot out in time, in the NES version, you need at least 1.5" or more to safely get a shot off.
-NO TURBO, which combined with the extra enemies and bullets, makes this game feel much faster and manic.
-You can start at any area you want - i'm not sure what it means, if you start on area 9 and beat the stage, not sure if the game is over, or if it goes to level 1 after that. In any case, I recommend starting Area 1 each time as that "should" be your best bet for score.

If you found the NES port slow and "too old school", I recommend grabbing the GCN version (or comparable), it is quite fun, and difficult.

Best after 5 runs:
68,850 - mjmjr25 - Area 3 - GCN (Arcade, default settings)

What do you mean by no turbo? Does the gcn not have the rapid fire buttons? I only played the Nes vers once. I love the arcade.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Not there quite yet, but figured I'd post my progress anyway:

o.pwuaioc - 216,570 - Area 9 - NES

ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:03 pm

retrosportsgamer wrote:What do you mean by no turbo? Does the gcn not have the rapid fire buttons? I only played the Nes vers once. I love the arcade.

He's right. It plays exactly like the arcade New Version does. The only time you get rapid fire is when you power up your dragon enough. (or get the green dragon with the super-fire shots)
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 pm

@RSG - no turbo I could find on GCN. I see that you can raise or lower difficulty, lives, and extends - didn't see a controller option for turbo.

EDIT:

Up to 78,800 on GCN...fingers, forearm and shoulder are literally sore from so much button tapping. This is brutal w/o turbo, but up to stage 3 boss now. This version is all about keeping your power up, lose your power up before a boss - yr done.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:12 pm

CFFJR - 59,930 - Area 2 - PC Engine

I died horribly against the boss, who seriously pisses me off with his spinning rock nonsense.

That was my first run, and subsequent plays were much worse. I'm frustrated now, so I'll try again later.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Return to Shmups