2D Shooters Invade
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Dragon Spirit)

by o.pwuaioc Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:37 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:Is anyone else playing NES? If you beat it...how do you see your score? The game freezes on "THE END" after the end-sequence? But...it isn't frozen...you still can hear music?

Reset it. You'll have the last score (and presumably the top score) on the title screen.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:10 am

NES port completed!

I went into Area 9 without having lost any lives, and revealed all but one fairy which means also a whole mess of lives (8) going into there. I was fortunate enough to avoid all but one of the power down items this stage throws at you, and being Small and green helped a great deal to avoid all the obstacles. It still wasn't easy, as I had trouble a few times with some ground enemies that threw boomerang-shaped objects at me in the 3rd and 4th sections, and the final area deals with these knight statues that threw mace balls my way. Galda's first form wasn't too bad, but neither was his final form which just requires a great deal of patience (and if possible, Wide white dragon, small w/options). I hastily took a few pics of this accomplishment.

The final part of this was effort trying to get a pic of my score. You get a bonus for beating Galda (both forms), but it stayed on "PRESENTED BY NAMCO" with no response to button presses. (old school!) You must hit the RESET button on your console and it will get your final score.

ExedExes - 321,340 - ALL - NES

I should be getting Namco Museum 50th for the Gamecube in the next few days, so the rest of my efforts this month will be focused on that and the PCE port. I love a good classic!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:39 am

^Nice! I'm going to try to do the same tomorrow. I'm thoroughly impressed though that you lost no lives on level 7. Now it's time to beat the arcade version. :twisted:

Also, are you going to play the PCE version on a PCE itself, or on Wii?
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:03 am

I probably won't be touching Exes' scores, but I fiddled around with the NES and PCE ports

pierrot - 123,490 - Area 4 (boss) - NES

All right, so I got this high score on the Famicom release. I don't think there's a difference in scoring, though. Can't say that I really noticed, but I did nearly make it to the Area 5 boss with a lower score when I played the NES version after.

--------

pierrot - 56,920 - Area 2 (boss) - PCE

How do you friggin' dodge those fireballs. I can't fit through those spaces reliably. I've all but deemed him impossible. (Don't know how the rest of you are doing it....)
Last edited by pierrot on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:19 am

pierrot wrote:All right, so I got this high score on the Famicom release.

You mean PC Engine?
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:29 am

o.pwuaioc wrote:
pierrot wrote:All right, so I got this high score on the Famicom release.

You mean PC Engine?

I was emulating the famicom version for the first score, then I switched to the NES version. Then I emulated the PCE version. As far as I can tell, there's no real difference between the Fami and the NES versions. I just thought I should clarify, just in case.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:18 am

Stage 3, those spaceships that come down fast, if you get in front of them, they stop - if not, they keep on going. Each is worth 1K, I didn't keep track on this last run, but it must've been at least 20K there.

Stage 6 (I think) those cones that release those spiders, and then they chase you leaving the webs, you can farm those pretty good, get about 1K out of them by killing about 10 spiders, and then kill the hive itself.

Stage 7, I don't know if you can kill those long worms that shoot the 6 purple bats at you, but I figured out the safe zones to avoid getting hit in there and it's pretty manageable now.

Stage 7, the aneomones that shoot the little green pellets at you, those should be farmed as well, usually can get 6-9 pellet-kills before taking out the anoemone itself.

Stage 8, pretty easy up to the boss once you realize which enemies are airborne and which are on the ground. It's tough at first since the entire stage is played in the dark, but it does get easy once you figure that piece out.

Stage 9...is...really hard. The spears, best I can tell, only the tip can hurt you, I felt like I went through the wood a couple times, but only absorbed a hit if the tip got me. I tried to farm as many enemies as I could but a couple times I just bee-lined it for the portals.

355,980 - mjmjr25 - ALL - NES
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:39 am

Damn, you guys are crushing this game!

I was hoping to come across a copy in one of the local game stores, but had no luck. I may just have to emulate.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:41 am

congrats on the ALL, Mick. I'm having a tough time sticking with this one already.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 pm

dunpeal2064 wrote:Damn, you guys are crushing this game!

I was hoping to come across a copy in one of the local game stores, but had no luck. I may just have to emulate.

You can have my copy - I only got it for SotM and will be moving on to the GCN (arcade) version now.
Return to Shmups