2D Shooters Invade
marurun

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Dragon Spirit)

by marurun Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:41 pm

Well, unless you have the oldest generation of PCE controllers, autofire switches are built-in. I'm not playing emulated. I'm playing on my PCE Core. All US systems have turbo/autofire. Split the categories if you want. I'm not good enough to top anyone's list anyway : )
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 pm

dsheinem wrote:
mjmjr25 wrote:
marurun wrote: Ack... Will need to practice a LOT.

He's never been very good at shmups.

@dsh - what is the namco essentials version comparable too? I currently have NES cart and GCN Anniversary Compilation, which I believe is comparable to MAME/ARCADE.

It is a direct Arcade port AFAIK. The collection is fairly solid - it has the newest Xevious (not available on disc) as well.

Good call here, grabbing this. I believe this is also on the Namco Museum Virtual Arcade disc for the 360.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:41 pm

Arcade (rapid fire obviously, once I figured that out):

DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:42 am

I've only made it to Stage 5 in the NES version so far, and I've been sucking in the PCE version as well. Will try and post some scores for those when I get a decent run. I think I'll blame it on my PSP's D-pad. Yeah, that's probably the reason. :)
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 am

Arcade - Stage 3

marurun

by marurun Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Hit box, so large! Challenge level, so brutal! This game just hurts me deep down...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:59 pm

mjmjr25 - 213,800 - Area 8 - NES

Does anyone know what determines if you get 10K on the prelim stage? Played 4 runs tonight, got it twice, didn't get it twice. I didn't get hit on 3 of the runs, so it isn't that. It might be time-kill on the boss, doesn't seem like it, but maybe? Or maybe if you pick up every powerup, that triggers it?

Anyways, gonna try the GCN version this weekend. I was thinking an ALL was possible, but it picks up pretty good on 7 and especially 8, especially once you power down. I might come back to this version later, but the first 15 minutes of each run just isn't very fun right now.

/whining

EDIT: I do have to say, I rather enjoy the melody between stages, very late 80's retro games, in a very endearing / nostalgic way.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:but the first 15 minutes of each run just isn't very fun right now.

in this respect -- plus the power-up management -- I'm reminded immensely of Zanac.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 pm

Yeah, I mean, I really do not like to hate on shmups, and I can appreciate that the game is 26 years old, for sure. That said, the reality is it just can't hold my attention or my want to play.

It has a lot of cool stuff, certainly the switching between ground and air enemies is cool. It also has a ton of "cheap" moments like most older shmups. It could be my TV settings too, but I feel like at least 1/2 my hits are from bullets that I don't think I touched, or enemies that I went off the bottom of the screen, yet fired a bullet or the enemy came back at me.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:24 pm

Is anyone else playing NES? If you beat it...how do you see your score? The game freezes on "THE END" after the end-sequence? But...it isn't frozen...you still can hear music?
Return to Shmups