2D Shooters Invade
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Shienryu)

by noiseredux Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:28 pm

brunoafh wrote:Nothing was stopping you, or anyone else that had nominated games, from doing their own write up though.

no offense, but it didn't come across this way at all. Here's what you said on JANUARY 1st, the first day of the 2013 SOTM:

brunoafh wrote:If you guys haven't already been doing so, I urge you to read ExedExes' thoughts on each game in the OP every month. They're always very informative and may encourage you to check out something you otherwise weren't that interested in.

It certainly came off from the get-go that Exed would be doing all write-ups for us. So not sure why anyone would think to submit their own.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

by brunoafh Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:59 pm

noiseredux wrote:no offense, but it didn't come across this way at all. Here's what you said on JANUARY 1st, the first day of the 2013 SOTM:

brunoafh wrote:If you guys haven't already been doing so, I urge you to read ExedExes' thoughts on each game in the OP every month. They're always very informative and may encourage you to check out something you otherwise weren't that interested in.

It certainly came off from the get-go that Exed would be doing all write-ups for us. So not sure why anyone would think to submit their own.

When this got started the year prior to this quote, ExedExes voluntarily started submitting write-ups. The only reason the monthly write-ups even exist is because he just does them without being asked. I think the first one he did was for Axelay because no one was really clicking with it and he really liked it, so he wrote up some thoughts to make it easier or whatever I wound up putting in the original post. From there on it just stuck. I mentioned that anyone could submit an overview and a few people PMed me with interest, but not a single person ever sent one but ExedExes.

It never occurred to me that I should continually state that people would be allowed to submit write-ups. It's been about 20 months and there has been no interest or mention of it, but now it's some concern. I don't take any offense, I just don't get it, honestly.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Shienryu)*SCHEDULE CHANGE

by o.pwuaioc Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:33 pm

I honestly thought ExedExes wanted to do the monthly write-ups. I was writing up one for mine when I heard he was doing it, too.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:39 pm

ExedExes threatened to "cut my shriveled balls off" if I "even fucking tried" to do a write up for Crimzon Clover.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:33 pm

dsheinem wrote:ExedExes threatened to "cut my shriveled balls off" if I "even fucking tried" to do a write up for Crimzon Clover.

:lol: That's not a trifling threat. It's a good thing you didn't risk your balls, Dave.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:47 pm

I wish I had more play time with Shienryu, I really like it. I have been working a lot and traveling and couldn't play as much. Seems like I probably won't be able to join in for Homura, either. I should be good for Raiden IV.

Here is a review I did of Homura I did a couple years back if anyone is interested.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28368&p=375738
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:15 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:Going forward (next year, I guess) the person who picks the game should do the write-up and explain why they suggested it. Appreciate Exed's input, but that makes more sense to me.

o.pwuaioc wrote:I honestly thought ExedExes wanted to do the monthly write-ups. I was writing up one for mine when I heard he was doing it, too.

dsheinem wrote:ExedExes threatened to "cut my shriveled balls off" if I "even fucking tried" to do a write up for Crimzon Clover.

Well, that escalated quickly! Now that we have volunteers stepping up, you're all more than welcome to do writeups. The reason why I've been doing them has been explained by bruno quite a few times.

brunoafh wrote:I think the first one he did was for Axelay because no one was really clicking with it and he really liked it, so he wrote up some thoughts to make it easier or whatever I wound up putting in the original post. From there on it just stuck. I mentioned that anyone could submit an overview and a few people PMed me with interest, but not a single person ever sent one but ExedExes.

That's just it. You all know I'm never out to steal anyone's thunder. Starting with October's game, if the person who sponsored it wants to do the write up, I wouldn't mind at all. For example, if foxhound wants Raiden IV (which might be a good idea since I know next to nothing about that one) and Tyranix wants Giga Wing, have at it. Just try and let me know by PM or post that you're interested. If it's your game, go for it, you sponsor it, so you should at least get the honor of the first crack at writing something for it if you're up to it.

Also be sure to check out Hashi's review of Homura; it's gonna be much better than the 2 small paragraphs I wrote up on that :lol:

Final high scores for Shienryu will be up at 00:00ET.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:00 am

Final high scores for Shienryu -

Spyke - 5,260,640 - 6-2 - PS2
ExedExes - 5,186,060 - 6-2 - MAME
DocHauser - 4,762,880 - 5-9 - Shmupmame
pierrot - 4,579,310 - 5-9 (Boss) - Saturn
mjmjr25 - 4,555,020 - 5-9 - Saturn
noiseredux - 4,120,000 - 5-4 - Saturn
hashiriya1 - 3,218,500 - 4-6 - Saturn
Omerta - 2,999,063 - 4-3 - Saturn
dsheinem - 2,151,200 - 3-4 - PS2

PS1:
foxhound1022 - 7,029,650 - 8-1 - PS1
DocHauser - 3,945,090 - 5-3 - PSP (PS1 version)

Have fun with Homura guys.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Spyke
64-bit

by Spyke Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:58 am

hashiriya1 wrote:I wish I had more play time with Shienryu, I really like it. I have been working a lot and traveling and couldn't play as much. Seems like I probably won't be able to join in for Homura, either. I should be good for Raiden IV.

Here is a review I did of Homura I did a couple years back if anyone is interested.

http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 8&p=375738

I like the look of Homura and had heard of it before, but not so much is said about it online. I'm glad it was chosen as a SOTM game as it gave me the push I needed to buy it.

Ant
Jp-modded PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - Multi-region DC - Spare DC - Pal GC - GBA - DS-Lite
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Homura)

by EllertMichael Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:22 am

My ps360+ padhack still isn't playing well with my PS2, so I'm out again this month. :(
hope that firmware update is around the corner...
Enjoy the game that was voted in by a bunch of members that probably haven't submitted two scores all year. :roll:
The "safe" choice. :P
Haha! Honestly, I hope it's good! I've actually never played Homura, myself.
i'm actually surprised it wasn't more of a run away
Get some Korean BBQ or something during the month.
Make out with a Korean chick. Have fun!

*sigh* If only we were playing the game that should have won...
:lol:
Return to Shmups