Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Giga Wing)

2D Shooters Invade
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Air Gallet)

Post by ExedExes »

DocHauser wrote:Scoring tips for Air Gallet - not much in the way of secrets here. Just keep picking up those 2k coins. Just as important as collecting the big coins is collecting all the coins, do that and you get a 100k 'Perfect' bonus at the end of the level (I think it just applies to coins, not sure if you have to no miss the level as well).

Survival helps with your score as well - once your shot if fully powered-up, all the additional power-up icons are worth 2k, and there are tons of these on Stage 3, so that's worth a lot. Holding onto your bombs isn't quite as important, these are only worth 5k each at the end of the level, so you're better off using them when you need them.

I need to get my high scores in quick this month, as I'll be away for most of the 2nd half of March, from 18th till the end of the month...

As far as I know, the no miss also means using no bombs. You can die and as long as you use no bombs, you still get all the points you picked up -- I've perfected the Stage 1 run to constantly achieve using nothing but the shot, and by not dying, as you said, the tons of Ps in Stage 2 are 2K each --

Glad I managed to capture this example -- these are the points all of us want! This was from the 595K, and I had 4 bombs in reserve, this is the grand total with the 20k in bombs -

Out after the 18th? So I might have a chance.... ? Once I get past Stage 2, that is.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

ExedExes wrote:Finally, there are diamond-shaped medals that will award maximum points if picked up right away, otherwise they will change color and award less.

Should also be noted that the medals will continue to change colours and eventually revert back to 2000 pts - wack-a-mole Strikers '99 style.

Collecting every medal in a stage grants you a 100,000 pts end stage bonus. Dying won't affect this bonus, but no more than 5% of the medals can be 10 pts.

There's a barrel roll you can do by tapping a direction and holding for 1-2 seconds, but I've been having difficulty executing it with a Saturn pad. Seems to need about 10 seconds before you can do it again. Also, be careful this doesn't inadvertently dash you into a bullet!

And steer clear of the 'S' weapon :wink:
Missiles seem to be the best weapon, but will sometimes unearth medals before you wanted to, making you have to dance around them and putting you in danger. :x
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

DocHauser - 1,759,060 - Stage 4 - MAME

No deaths on stages 1 or 2, got the 100k bonus in each. First death was stage 3 boss (didn't get the 100k for stage 3, though).

Got the extend (it appears on screen and you have to collect it, clearly just giving it to you would have been too easy!) and made it through to the stage 4 boss. Pretty intense. Now, let me go and retrieve my socks. :wink:
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

My BEAST MODE continues!

Not far behind now!

ExedExes - 1,410,680 - Stage 4 - MAME

Missed only 1 medal in Stage 2, did not die until Stage 3. No miss on Stage 3 is doable, boss is crazy easy. Made it about halfway through Stage 4. I can do this! All of my playing Aero Fighters and Strikers 1945 series and the fierce competition in those threads have driven me to play and avoid shots much better than I ever have before!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

I got to get on this! I wish it wasn't in March since I don't have much free time this month. :(
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Well, my Akuu Gallet PCB deal fell through, so I took that money and bought a new PC and installed MAME32 (i'll save the windows 8 rant for another day...)

Arcade stick help needed:
Can someone PM me how to setup my 360 stick to be compatible w/this? And for some reason, I can't access any in game menus via the TAB button, it worked and now it doesn't. I deleted and reinstalled the AG rom, but still not tab function. The VLX stick is recognized and no issues there.

Anyways, currently playing via Joytokey, got 2 runs in, bombed first boss and made it to 2nd boss. Crazy how hard a game seems w/o music, gonna have to buy some speakers too.

198,800 - mjmjr25 - Stage 2 - MAME
fvgazi
Next-Gen

Post by fvgazi »

Finally have some time to get back into the club!

Best of the first 4 or 5 runs.
fvgazi - 216,340 - Stage 2 - MAME
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

*yay* I have working speakers. I switched from MAME32 to Shmupmame 4.0. There is something wrong when I move right, it moves at about half the speed of when I move left. Is anyone else having this?

At any rate, finally finding the patters on the first boss so I don't have to bomb-spam him. Now for the 2nd boss...

248,400 - mjmjr25 - Stage 2 - ShmupMAME
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

MAME problems, more help needed:
speakers working, rom working, arcade stick working...now half my runs the screen goes vertically on me, usually when I bomb on a boss - I think it's from hitting A/B at exactly the same time? Although, hitting them again doesn't reverse it back. Any tips?

Could've been better but my monitor went temporarily wonky, /whiner

510,050 - mjmjr25 - Stage 2 (boss) - ShmupMAME
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

Been a bit quiet on this thread. Are people still playing Air Gallet? I might get a few attempts in over the weekend, but after that I'm off for the rest of the month.

Seems like it's not the kind of game where you can just dip in and out and hope to improve. I had a couple of runs yesterday and got nowhere near my previous best...