2D Shooters Invade
Spyke
64-bit

Re: Any titles better on PS1 than Saturn?

by Spyke Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks for the welcome! No, I hadn't seen that page, though I have read and reread several of the "best shmups for..." guides on this site and found them very useful. It's great to have such an in-depth resource freely available.

Talking about shmups all day - yep, sounds like fun - almost as much as playing them. Speaking of which, it's time I fired up Raiden Project again for another hit...! :wink:

Yes, I like the PS2 too, there are several good shmups for it and I'd like to get Dragon Blaze one day.

When you mention Xbox 360 are you talking about original titles for the console or using emulators? I really have no fondness for emulation. I'd just rather hold a disc/cart and plug it in and play rather than worry about maintaining another load of software. Yes, I must be old-fashioned...

Ant
Jp-modded PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - Multi-region DC - Spare DC - Pal GC - GBA - DS-Lite
sabrage
Next-Gen

by sabrage Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:54 pm

Spyke wrote:When you mention Xbox 360 are you talking about original titles for the console or using emulators? I really have no fondness for emulation. I'd just rather hold a disc/cart and plug it in and play rather than worry about maintaining another load of software. Yes, I must be old-fashioned...

Ant

There's a few Xbox 360 exclusives, a large number of region-free imports and a slew of ports (including Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun) on Xbox Live Arcade.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Actually, the xbox360 has a ton of shooter arcade ports, like the ps2 or saturn.

However, a large percentage of shooters made in the arcades these days are developed by Cave (The makers of Donpachi and Dodonpachi), so most of the ports are by them.

The games are hard, hundreds of bullets on screen at once, and are usually based around some kind of scoring system.

The 360 is a region-locked system, but Cave was able to make some of their shooters region free, so some of them can be imported for fairly cheapish.

If you like, check out a youtube video of the shooter Mushihimesama Futari for the 360. Its the one most people hear of first, and its one of the best, and most affordable.

Oh, and Raiden Project is awesome. Have you ever tried the Fighters series of Raiden games?

I would be playing shmups, but I can't get my cab working, so while I sit on here trying to see what I can do, I'll just talk about em. :lol:
Spyke
64-bit

by Spyke Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Yeah, I actually have checked out a few Cave games on youtube and think I prefer the old-skool shooters myself (radical, I know!)

I haven't tried any of the Raiden Fighters games, only Raiden Project but I'm trying to find affordable copies of DX for PS1 and Raiden III for PS2.

Ant
Jp-modded PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - Multi-region DC - Spare DC - Pal GC - GBA - DS-Lite
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Spyke wrote:Yeah, I actually have checked out a few Cave games on youtube and think I prefer the old-skool shooters myself (radical, I know!)

I haven't tried any of the Raiden Fighters games, only Raiden Project but I'm trying to find affordable copies of DX for PS1 and Raiden III for PS2.

Ant

Everyone has their preference of shooter styles, there are several people here that love shmups, but have no interest in Cave's style. I'm not one of them though.

Raiden DX is really hard. Like, really really freakin hard. Its basically like a Raiden II remix. The game is the same, but a bit more scoring involved, and way harder.

Raiden III is pretty cool, but probably my least favorite Raiden game. Unlike Raiden 1,2,DX,and the Fighters series, Raiden III and Raiden IV were made by a compay named Moss that bought the rights to Raiden. They are pretty cool as throwbacks, but I would take Raiden II over III personally.

Not sure if you can play ps2 games of multiple regions, but Raiden III ntsc-u is pretty cheap, find them in Gamestops all over for $5.99
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:04 pm

I know I'm derailing the thread a bit more here, but the Raiden Fighters games kick ass. They are a bit samey so you might want to take a break between each game.

EDIT:
dunpeal2064 wrote:Not sure if you can play ps2 games of multiple regions, but Raiden III ntsc-u is pretty cheap, find them in Gamestops all over for $5.99

You're going to need a mod chip or Swap Magic to play games of differing regions on the PS2.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:10 pm

Well thats true, if you want to play us region games on a jps2 you will need a region switch or swap magic.

However, if you happen to also have a us region ps2, then picking up Raiden III for the us console would probably be the cheapest option, considering how much the jp and pal copies of Raiden III fetch.

Oh, and if you are interested, the Raiden Fighters series also got ported to the 360, as Raiden Fighters Aces.
Spyke
64-bit

by Spyke Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:43 am

Damn. Just watched that review of Raiden Fighter Aces. Looks like I'm going to have to watch out for a 360 as well now... :shock:

Do PS2 NTSC-U games play on any syatem then? Just insert and play?

Ant
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:07 pm

Spyke wrote:Damn. Just watched that review of Raiden Fighter Aces. Looks like I'm going to have to watch out for a 360 as well now... :shock:

Do PS2 NTSC-U games play on any syatem then? Just insert and play?

Ant

Well, any NTSC-U system they'll play on. PS2 is region coded.
PAL plays on PAL
JP plays on JP
NTSC-U plays on NTSC-U

You can buy a JP console (recommended)
or
Use a swap disc
or
Have your US console chip-modded
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:56 pm

Old thread bump ;)

Any thoughts on why certain PS1 shmups were better than the Saturn versions considering the Saturn is traditionally known for being a better 2D machine?
Return to Shmups