2D Shooters Invade
Spyke
64-bit

Any titles better on PS1 than Saturn?

by Spyke Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi,

Just beginning to build up my collection, and wondering if any particular shmup titles were better on their PS1 version than the Saturn? Just curious...

Thanks,

Ant :)
Jp-modded PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - Multi-region DC - Spare DC - Pal GC - GBA - DS-Lite
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Any titles better on PS1 than Saturn?

by dunpeal2064 Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Donpachi is way better on the ps1

Strikers 1945 II is also better on the ps1

Soukyugurentai is better on the Saturn, but you get an extra ship in the ps1 port.

Dodonpachi is better overall on the Saturn, but looks a bit better on the ps1
Last edited by dunpeal2064 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sabrage
Next-Gen

by sabrage Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:43 pm

In the Hunt.
Spyke
64-bit

by Spyke Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Cool - thanks! I'll bear those in mind. I have a Jap-modded PS1 and am looking for a pre-modded or Jap Saturn at the moment. I like imports. 8)

I have Strikers 1945 I&II pack on the PS2 and enjoy it loads!

Ant
Jp-modded PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - Multi-region DC - Spare DC - Pal GC - GBA - DS-Lite
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Spyke wrote:Cool - thanks! I'll bear those in mind. I have a Jap-modded PS1 and am looking for a pre-modded or Jap Saturn at the moment. I like imports. 8)

I have Strikers 1945 I&II pack on the PS2 and enjoy it loads!

Ant

If you enjoy the Strikers games, you should check out some other shooters by Psikyo. They usually stick to their formula pretty tightly.

Gunbird 1&2 are both great, Sengoku Blaede is a really beautiful horizontal shooter, Zero Gunner 2 is sweet with being able to rotate your plane, and Dragon Blaze is probably their most polished, epic game (Which we happen to be playing for this month in the Shmup of the Month club)

If you are looking for the best versions possible of each game, I would recommend trying out Strikers 1945 on the Saturn, or Strikers 1945 II on the ps1. Both ports are a bit nicer than the ps2 combo pack, but if you are not trying to get the best possible version, that pack is still great, and you get both on one machine.

Gunbird should definitely be had on the Saturn, hands down. Gunbird 2, the DC port is the best, as you get an additional character (Morrigan from Darkstalkers).

Its nice to see more and more people interested in shmups recently!
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Salamander Deluxe Pack runs smoother on PSX.
Linda Cube.
In the Hunt, Don and DoDon as mentioned.

That is about it - there are a few fighters, X-Men v Streetfighter for example, that are an either / or. In most cases SAT is better as it sounds like you know.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:11 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:Salamander Deluxe Pack runs smoother on PSX.

That explains the price difference!

I kinda want to try In the Hunt on the ps1, I found it pretty poor on the Saturn, due to all that slowdown.
Spyke
64-bit

by Spyke Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Great info guys! Thanks a lot for this! :D

Do the PS1 and Sat versions of the Strikers games allow saves? The PS2 versions really bug me as the settings and hi-scores aren't saved - real pain in the buttocks!

Gunbird I used to have on the DC (no longer have a DC though)

Yep, really wanting to get the "best" version of each title for the system that has it. Otherwise, why bother having multiple systems, huh! :wink:

I'm new to this forum - I'll explore the other pages - shmup of the month? Sounds cool...

Ant
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm pretty sure that the Saturn port of Strikers 1945 does allow scores to be saved, as does the Saturn port of the first Gunbird. I haven't played Strikers 1945 II in some time, but I think that one does let you save scores as well.

Psikyo did 4 2-game packs on the PS2. 2 of them are generally considered fairly poor, rushed ports, while the other 2 are quite good.

Strikers 1945 pack and Gunbird pack are usually considered problematic. Gunbird has issues in the port from what I have read, and both strikers games have reported issues. I've never tested the games myself, just because I have heard this information from several sources.

Sengoku Ace Episode's 1&2 will give you access to Sengoku Ace (Never ported elsewhere), Which I believe is Psikyo's first shmup after leaving Video System. Sengoku Blaede is on this pack, and is a good port, but you do lose the option to play as Marion, which is available in the Saturn port. So, I would recommend the ps2 port here, just because an additional game beats an additional character in my books.

Dragon Blaze/Sol Divide: Probably Psikyo's best and worst games in this pack. Not to talk smack on Sol Divide, its really unique.... REALLY unique. Focuses on melee, plays very different from the usual Psikyo stuff. Dragon Blaze alone is worth this pack though!

If you ever have a random question about a shmup just ask away, could talk about them all day :mrgreen:

Edit: Nice Avatar!

Oh, do you happen to have an xbox 360? The shmups on that system will blow your brain... over and over and over and over
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Return to Shmups