2D Shooters Invade
extrarice
64-bit

by extrarice Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:27 pm

...they look scaled! :shock: :shock: Like, if Metal Slug 7 was developed for a different resolution than what the DS runs, and instead of re-doing the graphics, they added a cheap scaling routine to get it to fit the DS screen. The Metal Slug Anthology (for Wii at least) does this too - the screen is scaled up to fit the width of the TV, but it chops off a little bit off the bottom, and the sprites are just FUNKY at times.

That being said, I'd have to see MS7 in motion. It might just be ..... (looks again) ...... no, they're just scaled. A cheap solution to different resolutions, instead of re-drawing the artwork. Cheap, cheap, CHEAP!!! :evil:
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:15 pm

Looks better in motion:
http://www.dsfanboy.com/2007/09/25/tgs0 ... al-slug-7/

Everyone that has actually tried it out seems to enjoy it.
We'll see....
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:47 pm

No, instead we want to get our hands on the game and lovingly caress it in a candle-lit room as we whisper sweet nothings into its plastic cartridge case.

Creepy. :shock:

The game looks much better in that vid than it did in the screens. Maybe the scaling was for the first screens on game sites? I mean, many games look better than they did in their first screenies. Take Duke Nukem Forever. :lol:
durkada
64-bit

by durkada Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:54 pm

Someone, somewhere, expressed the opinion that by incrementing the series another number, we should expect something really special. And, I whole heartily agree by that -- any major iteration of the series should elevate it. Somehow, I don't think shrinking the game to a DS screen will warrant the number "7". Metal Slug Lite, maybe...

And, by the way, the GBA could have housed a very nice Slug game. I mean, the NGPC had not one, but two excellent Metal Slugs.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:52 am

durkada wrote:And, by the way, the GBA could have housed a very nice Slug game. I mean, the NGPC had not one, but two excellent Metal Slugs.

Very true. Although I actually like the GBA one as well, the NGPC ones are better quality (although naturally with poorer graphics). The only think that annoys me a lot on the NGPC MS games is the control for the grenades/slug cannon.

Ivo.
extrarice
64-bit

by extrarice Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:08 pm

racketboy wrote:Looks better in motion:

We'll see....

That video is from an earlier Metal Slug game...MS3 I think. Unless SNK is re-using levels on MS7, in addition to recycling spritework, this video is footage from something else. :twisted:
Burnsro

by Burnsro Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:20 pm

extrarice wrote:
racketboy wrote:Looks better in motion:

We'll see....

That video is from an earlier Metal Slug game...MS3 I think. Unless SNK is re-using levels on MS7, in addition to recycling spritework, this video is footage from something else. :twisted:

It looks like DSfanboy is full of a bunch of idiots that put up a video of Metal Slug 3.

YouTube saves the day. http://youtube.com/watch?v=h3HGkwPec7Q&feature=related

Looks like Marco and Fio are in the game so far. And there is a new train type of Metal Slug vehicle. The game looks very nice in motion.
Shvalt
8-bit

by Shvalt Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:40 pm

Urgh. I was rather excited about this, but those screens look real ugly. :cry:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:27 pm

Oh for crying out loud do we really NEED another Metal Slug game? SIX GAMES NOW, and they're all the same. Time for the series to go 3-d and do it right, like Contra did with Shattered Soldier.

I like the series, but it's like what Capcom did with the Megaman X series. Just keep pumping out similar games until people either get sick of them or they just start to suck.
nick944
64-bit

by nick944 Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:58 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:Oh for crying out loud do we really NEED another Metal Slug game? SIX GAMES NOW, and they're all the same. Time for the series to go 3-d and do it right, like Contra did with Shattered Soldier.

I like the series, but it's like what Capcom did with the Megaman X series. Just keep pumping out similar games until people either get sick of them or they just start to suck.
Nah, some games are just better 2D.
Return to Shmups