2D Shooters Invade
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Good Shmups for the SNES

by nightrnr Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:05 pm

I've got to link this 5-part article (sort of my bible for SNES shmups, even if I don't always share his opinions):

http://www.socksmakepeoplesexy.net/inde ... sshooter01

Too bad his image or video links that accompany those brief reviews are not current or working (his Genesis ones are), but it's an awesome site besides.

Also, due to Divine Sealing (for Genesis) and possibly language, this sight is probably NSFW.
...just another lost soul...
marurun

by marurun Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:15 pm

AggroSky wrote:I would highly recommend U.N. Squadron, Thunder Spirits and HyperZone. All great SNES Shmups.

I think with Thunder Spirits you are better off with Thunder Force 3 on Genesis, or Thunderforce AC on Saturn.

Hyperzone isn't really that great a game, and it isn't technically a shmup, but I love the music. It's worth playing just for the soundtrack.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:13 pm

marurun wrote:Hyperzone isn't really that great a game, and it isn't technically a shmup, but I love the music. It's worth playing just for the soundtrack.

It's still good, rail shooter or not. Plus, to get a new ship every stage as early as you can by scoring the point requirements is something I like to do every so often.

From a recent playthrough on the Retron 5 -- decent score and did just that. Had the last ship on Area 6.

Yes, and DAT HAL LABORATORY SOUNDTRACK.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
MyNameIsVince
64-bit

by MyNameIsVince Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:40 pm

Hyperzone is the next game I'm getting for the SNES. It's like Star Fox with F-Zero, except none of the blocky FX chip graphics that turns me off of Star Fox.

Seriously, the mode 7 alone makes me want to buy the game.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:56 pm

MyNameIsVince wrote:Hyperzone is the next game I'm getting for the SNES. It's like Star Fox with F-Zero, except none of the blocky FX chip graphics that turns me off of Star Fox.

Seriously, the mode 7 alone makes me want to buy the game.

It's alright. It's an above average Space Harrier clone. It is one of the nicer Mode 7 showcases.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:19 pm

nightrnr wrote:I've got to link this 5-part article (sort of my bible for SNES shmups, even if I don't always share his opinions):

http://www.socksmakepeoplesexy.net/inde ... sshooter01

That entire website is so amazing, I really wish it was still active.
marurun

by marurun Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:33 pm

Maybe we should do something like those SNES retrospectives for Racket. I'd love to have the time to do a thorough PC Engine/TG 16 shooter game list/review. It would keep me busy for years : )
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
metal_slugger

by metal_slugger Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:26 pm

Xeogred wrote:Thunder Spirits is a weird port of Thunder Force III from the Genesis, it has different levels here and there and a very different soundtrack (obviously), lacks auto-fire sadly but it's still worth checking out

Thunder Spirits does have autofire, you can get a config screen by holding Select then Start on title screen. It's doesn't stop the problem of the whole game lagging with every bullet you fire though (even when there's no enemies on the screen!) . Very poorly ported/coded game all-round. Shame as it could have been great.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:44 am

Xeogred may have figured that all out in the 8 years since he posted his comment.
Ack

by Ack Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:14 pm

One would certainly hope.
Return to Shmups