2D Shooters Invade
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Good Shmups for the SNES

by ExedExes Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:01 am

Kidpanda wrote:Anyhow, Gradius III is super rad especially on arcade difficulty. The line on the last screen makes me laugh everytime I see it :D

Yeah, that was quite a trip

I'M GIVEN UP -- TECHNICAL MONKEY or something like that :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
TheClassicGamer

by TheClassicGamer Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:12 pm

Easily one of the best consoles for a large variety of schmups. I finally got to try out Darius Twin the other day, very solid title from what little I played. I'm contemplating a session with a friend in the future. Super R-Type III, Gradius III, and Strike Gunner S.T.G. were three I've really enjoyed from the system.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:43 pm

TheClassicGamer wrote:Easily one of the best consoles for a large variety of schmups.

Other than the PC-Engine... and the Genesis... and the Saturn... :wink:

Sorry "SNES" and "best shmups" is just one of those nails on a chalkboard things for me. :lol:

Not that there aren't some real winners.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:05 pm

Well, to be fair, his line was "best variety of shmups". I didn't read that as meaning they had the best games overall.
marurun

by marurun Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:58 pm

The SNES might not be a tier 1 shmup system like the PC Engine or Saturn, but it is a solid tier 2, which means it still has solid variety and some very good options. Despite my general opinion of the SNES as somewhat blasé on the whole, it still claims one of my favorite shmups of all time, UN Squadron / Area 88.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MyNameIsVince
64-bit

by MyNameIsVince Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:28 am

marurun wrote:The SNES might not be a tier 1 shmup system like the PC Engine or Saturn, but it is a solid tier 2, which means it still has solid variety and some very good options. Despite my general opinion of the SNES as somewhat blasé on the whole, it still claims one of my favorite shmups of all time, UN Squadron / Area 88.

Not only that, I would say in terms of cost, the SNES is probably one of, if not, the easiest console to start buying shmups for on the cheap. I didn't even own a shmup until about 3 years ago when I bought Super R-Type. No joke, it was the first shmup I ever owned (not the first one I played though, that was YEARS ago). So for me, the SNES was the system that got me started on shmups. Sure it has some expensive ones, like R-Type III, Space Megaforce, and Aero Fighters, but it's got a number of shmups that can be had for under 20 bucks. Well, except Axelay.....how the hell did that one get to be over 33 dollars now?
graffix_13
64-bit

by graffix_13 Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:25 pm

MyNameIsVince wrote:. Sure it has some expensive ones, like R-Type III, Space Megaforce, and Aero Fighters, but it's got a number of shmups that can be had for under 20 bucks. Well, except Axelay.....how the hell did that one get to be over 33 dollars now?

I am in the market for Space Megaforce and it's pretty pricey too.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:00 pm

MyNameIsVince wrote:Well, except Axelay.....how the hell did that one get to be over 33 dollars now?

$33?!

*goes to VGPC*

:shock:

Low end $20, but not too many of those, looks like $30 and up.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:15 pm

marurun wrote:The SNES might not be a tier 1 shmup system like the PC Engine or Saturn, but it is a solid tier 2, which means it still has solid variety and some very good options. Despite my general opinion of the SNES as somewhat blasé on the whole, it still claims one of my favorite shmups of all time, UN Squadron / Area 88.

I love that game too but the slowdown is pretty painful at times.

Space Megaforce/Super Aleste and R-Type III are my favorites on the SNES. I like Axelay when I'm in the mood. Macross Scrambled Valkyrie is a personal favorite because it's Macross.

I can take or leave everything else (especially you Gradius 3, go sit in the corner and think about what you've done).
AggroSky

by AggroSky Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:51 pm

I would highly recommend U.N. Squadron, Thunder Spirits and HyperZone. All great SNES Shmups.
Return to Shmups