2D Shooters Invade
Razgriz_410

Re: What shmup are you playing now?

by Razgriz_410 Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:32 pm

I've played both Tyrian 2000 and Raptor Call of the Shadows today ; the mouse broke, so it was shoot'em up day :twisted:

Some day I'll find out how to mod Tyrian 2000 and have Cold War planes instead of the spaceships... someday... I just want this game play with a MiG-17 :cry:
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:46 pm

Yo, anyone interested in talking shumps on these here boards, again?

I haven't been playing shooters nearly as much over the last few years, which is borderline criminal considering what I own. Anyway, I've been feeling like playing more recently, and had a hard time stopping while playing Espgaluda today. I don't remember this game being so good. What gives? I really never got into Espgaluda, or Espgaluda II in the past, but playing Espgaluda again, now, was really satisfying. Am I just forgetful? Have I become so out of touch with shooters over that period of dormancy that even something like Espgaluda feels extremely fresh and invigorating? I really enjoyed not dealing with chain, and it's a lot of fun to harvest gems for converting screen-fulls of bullets into gold bullion. I'm using Tateha, because I prefer her extra regular shot damage in her Kakusai. I haven't quite been able to get through the second boss, yet, though (I'm doing single credit runs). Made it to his last segment, on my last attempt, but I made a really terrible error, trying to chase down one of the power ups I lost from a death right before. I was pretty close to an extend, too--. I will hopefully give it some more runs in the next few days or so. It's interesting how the UI overlap between Espgaluda and Mushihimesama make it seem kind of like they were developed concurrently.

Even though the artwork for Espgaluda is a little iffy, I got kind of sucked into the gallery in the PS2 port. It's a pretty nice gallery mode.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:39 pm

I've been playing a lot of Eschatos this week. I really dig how playing its various modes and getting as far as I can slowly unlocks things as your progress, like more lives, continues, etc, so it makes further attempts a bit more doable, as you increasingly get to know the levels and get better yourself. I just finished up Original/Normal Endless Mode today, but I think it stopped at Scene 27 and I suspect that wasn't the true final boss. Now that I have 4 lives and 2 continues, maybe I can beat Original/Normal. But I really like the Advanced Mode a lot too, makes the weapons crazier.

I had no idea this was a 3D polygonal shooter and it does do some cool stuff with the perspective changing around.

The difficulty really keeps on curving up the further you get in, it's awesome.

One of the best OST's ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipUtBcOpSB0
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:09 pm

I played a little Wandersong earlier today and that game is just so relentlessly hopeful, happy, and a joy to play :D

I also poked into The Mummy Demastered and it's pretty fun! I've been in bed sick most of today so not too in the mood for games, but I hope to play more of it tomorrow~
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:18 am

Xeogred wrote:I've been playing a lot of Eschatos this week. I really dig how playing its various modes and getting as far as I can slowly unlocks things as your progress, like more lives, continues, etc, so it makes further attempts a bit more doable, as you increasingly get to know the levels and get better yourself. I just finished up Original/Normal Endless Mode today, but I think it stopped at Scene 27 and I suspect that wasn't the true final boss. Now that I have 4 lives and 2 continues, maybe I can beat Original/Normal. But I really like the Advanced Mode a lot too, makes the weapons crazier.

I had no idea this was a 3D polygonal shooter and it does do some cool stuff with the perspective changing around.

The difficulty really keeps on curving up the further you get in, it's awesome.

One of the best OST's ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipUtBcOpSB0

Eschatos is such a fantastic game, I'm glad to see others playing it!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:30 pm

I might be tapping out on it, the last third gets brutal haha. I've had a blast playing all the modes though.

I played the jokey Deep Space Waifu recently and it's surprisingly pretty decent.

Finally ran through Mushihimesama Futari with my imported 360 copy. It's just as awesome as the first with some new tricks. I didn't use a credit on my first attempt until stage 3... but after that the last 2 stages absolutely destroyed me.

I tried Satazius and Syder Arcade recently, didn't care for them much though.

Going to keep plugging away at some of my Steam library since I'm still in the mood for these right now.
opa
128-bit

by opa Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:40 am

I finally made it through Märchen Adventure Cotton 100%. I had to use all of my continues but I completed a run of it. I'm not gonna go for the 1CC on this. The first 3 stages, while featuring very vibrant, imaginative backgrounds, are very uninteresting to play. The last two stages are incredible. Stage 6 is an underwater level and the two bosses affect the player's ability to control your character by moving the water that you're in. The final boss was on a different level that surpasses anything you've encountered before. I had to use the stage select code to practice the final boss a few times before this last attempt.
I'd recommend Cotton 100% but don't expect a real challenge in the first few levels. In all honesty, it's probably an easy 1CC if you want to go for one. The only reason I died so much is due to unnecessary carelessness. I could probably do a 1CC but I'm really tired of stage 1. :lol:
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:49 am

opa wrote:I finally made it through Märchen Adventure Cotton 100%. I had to use all of my continues but I completed a run of it. I'm not gonna go for the 1CC on this. The first 3 stages, while featuring very vibrant, imaginative backgrounds, are very uninteresting to play. The last two stages are incredible. Stage 6 is an underwater level and the two bosses affect the player's ability to control your character by moving the water that you're in. The final boss was on a different level that surpasses anything you've encountered before. I had to use the stage select code to practice the final boss a few times before this last attempt.
I'd recommend Cotton 100% but don't expect a real challenge in the first few levels. In all honesty, it's probably an easy 1CC if you want to go for one. The only reason I died so much is due to unnecessary carelessness. I could probably do a 1CC but I'm really tired of stage 1. :lol:

Stage 1 fatigue is very real! Especially when you've mastered it, but then start to make little mistakes from carelessness. It's not just a problem with shooters, either, but anything requiring tight controls. Was trying to go for a high score in Balloon Kid, and I can usually get a perfect score in the first two levels, but every once in a while I'll make a careless mistake and just restart. Restarting gets so old after a while!
opa
128-bit

by opa Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:54 pm

I feel the same thing in Joust for the 2600. You can only play the first bit of a game so many times before you start to screw up on the easy waves. You just have to walk away at that point.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:53 pm

Surprising number of games with "Märchen" in the title.

Protip: avoid Märchen Veil.

As far as shooters go, I spent the afternoon playing Centipede. What a great game. I love all the nuances to it: the "box" you're confined to, the way you can alter the centipede's trajectory, the poisoning of mushrooms, and so on. I was playing it on the 2600. My daughter has one of those Centipede mini-arcades.
Return to Shmups