2D Shooters Invade
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: What shmup are you playing now?

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 09, 2017 9:45 am

Level 3 in 3D Fantasy Zone is kicking my ass. I can breeze through the first two levels with a single ship, but I hit the third level like a brick wall.

I even tried the SMS version this morning to see if it is easier. It IS easier, but it still beat the hell out of me...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 am

In the SMS version, stage 4 is the hardest stage imo. It's all blue, the enemies are blue, the bases are blue, the backgrounds are blue. What colour are enemy bullets? Blue!

It's also the stage where you'll likely hit the money you need to get the permanent 7 shot, which makes the next few stages much easier. It hurts if you lose it though :(
marurun

by marurun Tue May 09, 2017 11:10 am

Actually, now that I look, it seems Asmik is mostly a publisher, and different developers actually do the work. D-Force was developed by ISCO, a company I'm not super familiar with. They made a whole bunch of stuff I don't know, but none of it looks like shooters. The only good title I can see in their list is Deep Fear on the Saturn. They also made Transformers: Convoy no Nazo, a notoriously bad NES game. Verytex, meanwhile, was made by Opera House, and they have a few good titles in their background. Asmik also published Air Diver, which is a respectable shooter, developed by a totally different company with a less than impressive developer history.

So basically Asmik worked with a bunch of small or questionable dev houses and occasionally got a hit, but just as often got shit.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Tue May 23, 2017 2:25 am

Esgaluda II
Mushihime-sama Futari Ver 1.5
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue May 23, 2017 3:15 am

Segata wrote:Esgaluda II
Mushihime-sama Futari Ver 1.5

Two of the best shmups ever made right there.

I've been grinding Futari BL God mode the past few days myself.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed May 24, 2017 12:11 pm

I am apparently on a cute-em-up binge...I beat Twinbee (3DS/Famicom) the other day, and I almost got a1CC on the arcade version last night. As with most Konami games from the 1980s, however, the home port is vastly superior to the arcade original...

Once I finally beat BOTW -I'm getting close! - I will try to tackle Gates of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, The Guardian Legend, Super Fantasy Zone, and Detana!! Twinbee.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Wed May 24, 2017 12:14 pm

I quite liked the 3ds port. Vertical shooters in 3D are sweet. I think it may have even had a co-op option iirc?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed May 24, 2017 12:18 pm

dunpeal2064 wrote:I quite liked the 3ds port. Vertical shooters in 3D are sweet. I think it may have even had a co-op option iirc?

I don't know. The Twinbee games really are designed with two players in mind, and I would like to try co-op sometime.

I am playing the arcade original via the DS Konami arcade collection, BTW. I think that version also supports local co-op, but I am the only person I know who could play it.

Finally, I plan on importing the rest of the games in the series since, I think, all the rest of the games I need are for the Super Famicom. (I have all three games for the Famicom.)
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Darius Burst CS again. Just killing time til my new PS4 games come which is a wait. Since I have the Japanese version I can't read the arcade section and been searching forever to find the stages with Darius Gaiden & G Darius music. Finally did find some. Oh man that music is such nostalgia. I wish I owned G Darius but sadly I only got to play it at a local now defunct game store.They let me play it whenever I came in. God I loved that game. Not played it in 20 years but the music of it and Gaiden I remember well. SOOO good. One of the songs reminds me a little of that one the blue woman sang in Fifth Element.
Retrogameresource
16-bit

by Retrogameresource Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:31 pm

I always neglected this genre until recently. I will admit I said they all look the same. Man was I wrong, these games are so great as a genre. Pick up and play action at its finest.

Battlemania Daijingo
Advance Busterhawk Gleylancer

Always playing Blazing Lazers. I have the rom on my phone, its just easy enough to play with crappy touchscreen buttons haha.
http://retrogameresource.com/ Your Source for Retro Game Curation
Return to Shmups