2D Shooters Invade
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: Xbox 360 Shooter Checklist

by retrosportsgamer Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:22 am

noiseredux wrote:@RSG: You don't have the Capcom Collection disc? I'll try to pop it in and let you know my thoughts on 1942 Joint Strike tonight.

I do have that - I guess you can strike that one, I just copied and pasted from the first post.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:32 am

I personally thought Joint Strike was.... pretty bland. I had enough fun playing it I suppose, but it does not have any of that shmup magic that usually hooks you.

1942 on the NES is much better.

Aegis Wing is fun if you can get 3 or 4 players going. Being able to hook your ships together Voltron style and have one player driving with the others aiming their shots is good fun. However, by yourself, this game does not hold up. Its only really worth playing multiplayer. It was free though, so hard to complain. I'd also recommend playing it on the hardest difficulty so that you don't get bored.

Deathsmiles IIx is great, but costs like $30, so I'll omit it from my top 3.

My Top 3:
Guwange - This game is so good. You get 3 modes (Arcade, Blue, and Arrange), 2 of which had their own seperate arcade releases, and would cost you silly money to play outside of XBLA. The music, the graphics, the gameplay... all top notch. This would be my number one by a long shot.

Ikaruga - While it might not be a play everyday thing, and it gets a lot of hate, Ikaruga is a great game. This game takes that strict path that takes years to find in a Cave shooter, and shows it to you straight out the gate. There is no mystery as to how you score in this game, no hidden spots to hover over or bomb... just chain groups of enemies... and yet its crafted in such a way that learning the game is quite an experience. This game has a fantastic atmosphere, and well... its like nothing else!

R-Type Dimensions/Strania - Went with a split vote here... because if you know you don't like R-Type, then I would not recommend it. If you think you may enjoy it, R-Type is just a fantastic game. Its a memorizor, but it feels good to learn the levels and perform them successfully.

Strania is trippy. Its a vertizontal (so its vert, but unlike Guwange/Ikaruga, it takes up the full screen). You can change between different weapons, such as different guns, swords, etc. overall, the game feels very borderline shmup.. even though it is technically a shmup. I enjoy it, but I'm not nuts about it. Like I said, if you think you may like R-Type, I'd go for that.

Hope this helps ya out!
Spyke
64-bit

by Spyke Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Are games on XBLA region free or region coded?

Ant
Jp-modded PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - Multi-region DC - Spare DC - Pal GC - GBA - DS-Lite
ZenErik
Next-Gen

by ZenErik Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Spyke wrote:Are games on XBLA region free or region coded?

Ant

Region free. I download from the US store on my NTSC-J 360.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:53 pm

How easy is it to make an acct for another region?
kittenmittens

by kittenmittens Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:21 pm

noiseredux wrote:How easy is it to make an acct for another region?

Super easy. Sign up, select your region, away you go. You might also need to google a post/zip code for the country you're trying to select, I had to when I made a different account a while back but I don't know if they still ask for that information.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:45 pm

kittenmittens wrote:

Super easy. Sign up, select your region, away you go. You might also need to google a post/zip code for the country you're trying to select, I had to when I made a different account a while back but I don't know if they still ask for that information.

Nothing to add, but if your name is a reference to always sunny, +1 internets for you.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
kittenmittens

by kittenmittens Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:26 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
kittenmittens wrote:

Nothing to add, but if your name is a reference to always sunny, +1 internets for you.

Why thank you, it is indeed. I wasn't sure whether to go with mittens or Charlie's spelling 'mittons' but didn't want anyone to think I couldn't actually spell mittens!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:29 am

DDP Saidaioujou is coming to 360 in Spring (in Japan, anyway).

http://andriasang.com/con2d3/dodonpachi ... ujou_x360/

So hopefully there will be a release that is NTSC-U compatible sometime next year.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:20 am

dsheinem wrote:DDP Saidaioujou is coming to 360 in Spring (in Japan, anyway).

http://andriasang.com/con2d3/dodonpachi ... ujou_x360/

So hopefully there will be a release that is NTSC-U compatible sometime next year.

fingers crossed. :|
Return to Shmups