2D Shooters Invade
aeon
24-bit

Best SFC Parodius game?

by aeon Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:12 am

I just finished out my collection of SFC Parodius games and I have to say this is absolutely one of my favorite shmup series.

For those of you unfamiliar with Parodius, they are Konami Gradius style shmups with a heavy emphasis on satirical humor pointed towards other Konami games, popular shmups and Japanese culture. I especially love the excellent references towards IREM shooters. If you haven't played them, fire up an emulator and give them a go.

A comprehensive history of Parodius can be found here.

For those of you who have played the SFC Parodius games, what is your favorite in the series? I personally favor the first entry--Parodius Da!--but Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius is growing on me quite a bit.

That is all.
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

Re: Best SFC Parodius game?

by Flak Beard Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:13 am

The first game Parodius Da! is definitely my favorite as well. It just felt the most balanced between standard SHMUP design and the staple wackiness of the series.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:20 am

Agreed with you guys. I also have all the SFC games and the Deluxe Pack and Sexy on the Saturn, and prefer the first one on the SFC... although I can't explain why. Overall, Sexy Parodius is my favourite of the series.
Majors
128-bit

by Majors Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:30 pm

Breetai wrote:Overall, Sexy Parodius is my favourite of the series.

Yes! I just up-traded my Gokujou to Sexy PCB. Sexy is too good!
Majors -=- Wedoca '21
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:19 pm

Agreed, Sexy is by far the best. But I don't know what you guys are talking about saying that Parodius Da! is better than Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius. To be fair though, I have to play it on an emulator so I can disable that annoying guy's voice.
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

by Flak Beard Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:55 pm

Dylan wrote:But I don't know what you guys are talking about saying that Parodius Da! is better than Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius. To be fair though, I have to play it on an emulator so I can disable that annoying guy's voice.

That's one of the reasons why I like the first game better, it doesn't have the "chatting" aspect. I never thought about disabling the voice in an emulator though. I'm assuming you're turning off one of the sound channels?
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:34 am

Flak Beard wrote:That's one of the reasons why I like the first game better, it doesn't have the "chatting" aspect. I never thought about disabling the voice in an emulator though. I'm assuming you're turning off one of the sound channels?

Yup, sound channel 6. It seriously makes the game 100 times better.
aeon
24-bit

by aeon Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:10 am

^ Thats a great trick, although the voice in Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius doesn't bother me that much, probably because I can't understand anything he says.

Also, I have really got to get my hands on Sexy Parodius. Yet another reason for me to pony up and buy a Saturn.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:55 am

Dylan wrote:But I don't know what you guys are talking about saying that Parodius Da! is better than Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius.

I don't know either. :D To be honest, I've spend a lot more time with Parodius Da! so I know it better. I haven't really given the other two a lot of time, other than a quick play though.
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:34 pm

Breetai wrote:
Dylan wrote:But I don't know what you guys are talking about saying that Parodius Da! is better than Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius.

I don't know either. :D To be honest, I've spend a lot more time with Parodius Da! so I know it better. I haven't really given the other two a lot of time, other than a quick play though.

Fair enough. Honestly, all the ones on the SFC are so similar that it doesn't make a huge difference. I just remember liking that one a tad more.
Return to Shmups