What's you're favorite 2D shooter?

2D Shooters Invade
extrarice
64-bit

Post by extrarice »

Gradius 5 and Ikaruga (both made by Treasure, un-coincidentally)

The R-Type series isn't too shabby either, though Final gets boring in some parts.
Daigr
24-bit

Post by Daigr »

Axelay - SNES

Einhander - PS1

Ikaruga - DC or GC

These have to be my favourites; don't own Axelay anymore so I am waiting for the VC to release it.
Ikaruga I own both releases I mostly play the GC version though.
I also like the Parodius series and Harmful Park; I hope the new Cutesy konami shooter gets a home release.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Raiden 1 & 2, arcade or PS1
R-Type, original version, though Leo is also kinda cool in places
In the Hunt was quite original

But really, while the ones above are just as good as the ones I'm going to mention, the PCE/TG-16 shooters have a special place in my heart.
Best shooter ever is Gates of Thunder on the TGCD. Graphics, gameplay, and soundtrack all work together in incredible unison.
Lords of Thunder is close, but just not as good.
And the Soldier series.

*drool*

The PCE really was the place to be...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
gradualmeltdown
128-bit

Post by gradualmeltdown »

PCE shooters are sweet. Everytime I'm in Tokyo I promise myself I will buy more PCE stuff. Problem is there is so much of it and almost 90% is whacky RPG or japanese puzzle games. My Kanji isn't so hot so sifting through PCE games without many screenshots or English is tough. I just end up back in the Sega sections hording DC and Saturn stuff. Next trip is Famicom and PCE i think....8 bit time!
I like old games
I like new games
I like games
claudio
128-bit

Post by claudio »

Radiant Silvergun is the all time best, and ive played many shooters. i love it and proud owner. The graphics amaze me its a absolute artistic masterpiece.

the rest of love
2. Soukyugurentai Otukuyo (saturn version)
3. Under Defeat
4. Ikaruga
5. Kamui (pc, cross between layer section and Soukyugurentai)
6. Raiden DX
7. Protector SE (Atari Jaguar 2002 release, or 03)
8. Strikers 1945+ (Neo Geo Arcade)
9. Raycrisis (i love the style, underated game)
10. G-Darius (especially played on a dreamcast with the wierd enchanced graphix)
11. Border Down
12. Zero Gunner 2
13. Galaxian and Galaga (i like them equally at #13)

thats it, i know its controversial, and honestally if i wrote it out 4 months from now it would probaball be in a slighlty different order but im sure i would pick the top 3 in the same order evertime, they are my definite top 3.
gradualmeltdown
128-bit

Post by gradualmeltdown »

I just got Under Defeat and really like it.
I like old games
I like new games
I like games
Faffel
8-bit

Post by Faffel »

Psyvariar 2 seems to get overlooked a lot by shmup fans. One of the greatest shmups I've ever played. Beats the pants off Ikaruga, even.
systemreactor

Post by systemreactor »

Shooting Love:

My personal favorites:
Sokyugurentai, Dodonpachi, Mushihimesama, R-Type anything, Axelay, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Last Resort, Lords of Thunder, Thunder Force III onward, Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga.
baphomet_irl
128-bit

Post by baphomet_irl »

Faffel wrote:Psyvariar 2 seems to get overlooked a lot by shmup fans. One of the greatest shmups I've ever played. Beats the pants off Ikaruga, even.

yes it is very good, dunno If id prefer it over Ikaruga, but nonetheless I think its a very nice game

Psyvariar 1 however, is an utter piece of crud, I was so disapointed when I got that for the PS2, as I love Psyvariar 2
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I don't really play a lot of the type of shooter you guys seem to be talking about here(I enjoy some run and gun shooters and rail shooters though)

I must say I did enjoy Einhander though. I bought myself a copy of that game. I'm a sucker for a game with style(as long as it has some substance too). The graphical tricks and awesome soundtrack just made this a "cool" shooter.

I'm not sure if Bangaio(Dreamcast)counts. I was addicted to that game

Oh yes, I just remembered Subterrania. Although that was not really your traditional shmup kind of game